Military Camp

Any recommendations for a cheap, high clearance hydrolic jack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i usually keep a hydrolic jack in my car because scissor jacks suck. i recently found out that my jack that ive had in all my cars since i was 16 doesnt have enough lift height for my SUV. i had to use a brick whil changing my brakes to get the lift i needed. this doesnt seem safe to me. any recommendations on what i can do to get extra height or a high lift jack i can buy for cheap?
    Military Camp

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Piece of 4x6 lumber, or similar pieces of 2x6 to build height. As long as they extend past the footprint of the jack, stability is there. Easy to store and you're not out any extra.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Check Harbor Freight. They have one for under $100. Had one for about 15 years.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    i checked online and the max height on most of the models is 15" (compact not full size floor jacks)
    Hubby wrote this on his FB page
    "Harbor Freight is an evil place, and the people who work there are agents of Satan."
    I got their coupon book in the mail and we went yesterday. I was running around that place like it was an Easter Egg hunt, matching the stock numbers on the shelves for the items we wanted to the stock numbers on the coupons. I got a new tarp for our gazebo, and some bungee cords to tie it to the frame. We got other stuff too. I think that is why Hubby said what he did. He can't walk out of there without spending money. But, we saved $34 because I had the coupons. WOO HOO! Coupons!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Piece of 4x6 lumber, or similar pieces of 2x6 to build height. As long as they extend past the footprint of the jack, stability is there. Easy to store and you're not out any extra.

On a flat, smooth surface, one can get away with cribbing. But its iffy ...

The issue is the relatively smooth surface of the wood on the relatively smooth surface of a frame rail makes for a precarious situation.
    The jack is supposed to roll underneath the car as the lift arm and saddle arc upwards.
    And it worsens as the cribbing height increases.

If the jack can't roll or is obstructed, the saddle will slide off the frame. Bad things.

Get the proper tool and proper weight rating.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Gotta be a little more specific as to what you're exactly looking for ... Garage use or side of the road use? Floor jack or bottle jack? Store in vehicle? How far from ground to bottom of frame?

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Gotta be a little more specific as to what you're exactly looking for ... Garage use or side of the road use? Floor jack or bottle jack? Store in vehicle? How far from ground to bottom of frame?
    side of the road use and home use. i store mine currently in the vehicle along with a 4 way lug wrench. it has to have enough lift for a SUV/truck.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    On a flat, smooth surface, one can get away with cribbing. But its iffy ...

The issue is the relatively smooth surface of the wood on the relatively smooth surface of a frame rail makes for a precarious situation.
    The jack is supposed to roll underneath the car as the lift arm and saddle arc upwards.
    And it worsens as the cribbing height increases.

If the jack can't roll or is obstructed, the saddle will slide off the frame. Bad things.

Get the proper tool and proper weight rating.
    i changed all 4 brakes on my suv yesterday. i used bricks because its what i had. when i was putting the last tire back on, i noticed the bricks were barely seated on the jack. i moved quickly yet cautiously as i didnt want to drop my suv on the rotor.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i changed all 4 brakes on my suv yesterday. i used bricks because its what i had. when i was putting the last tire back on, i noticed the bricks were barely seated on the jack. i moved quickly yet cautiously as i didnt want to drop my suv on the rotor.
    this is why jack stands were created. and yet, i didnt even think to use them untill just right now. DOH!!!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    i guess it doesnt really matter much on that option. ive always used a floor jack, btu im guessing a bottle jack would stow away better.

note: i keep the jack in the car at all times.

While a floor jack is better in a garage situation, I feel that a bottle jack is better for stowing AND for side of the road use.

I believe this is the one that I've got in my truck:
    Torin Jacks 6 Ton Fast Lift Bottle Jack - Walmart.com

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    While a floor jack is better in a garage situation, I feel that a bottle jack is better for stowing AND for side of the road use.

I believe this is the one that I've got in my truck:
    Torin Jacks 6 Ton Fast Lift Bottle Jack - Walmart.com

thanks. ill have to look into that. im assuming 16" is more than enough. im not sure on the height of my current one. ive used it on my cars for over 10 years and i finally get to use it on the SUV and it was too short.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    What does not seem safe to me is that you are willing to rely on a jack to prevent the vehicle from dropping. The jack is to get your vehicle up off its wheels. A jack stand is what is required before any part of your body gets below the vehicle. By their construction and use a jack is an unsafe tool to use to get you under a vehicle. In an emergency road side, change the tire situation where you are not getting any part of your body under the vehicle, if you have properly blocked the wheels and are on a level surface a jack is sufficient, for anything else, use a stand to support the weight.

Use of a block of wood, it should be under the jack and not between the frame and lifting plate and when they were needed the block was usually a 4x4, rough timber not a grade A sanded 2x4.

Hope this does not come across as criticism but as another point of view....

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Do NOT use bricks. They can break, crumble and are just not made to support focused weight.

Hi Lift Jack, just say no. Talk about unstable it is.

I use 4x4, 4x6, 2x4 that I keep in my rig. Suggest you cut them up yourself to get the sizing you need. You want them larger than the footprint of the jack itself. I STRONGLY suggest you invest in jack stands. Since you live in NW SA, I will CHEERFULLY give you a set of shorts and talls if you want to come get them or meet me somewhere off I 10 between my place and down around dezvala rd (Wal Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. When I sold my welding/fab shop few years back somehow I ended up with all my stands. Interested then shoot me a pm...

Top Bottom