DK Firearms

Any recommendations on a semi-auto 12ga?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    I also didnt knwo the M4 woudl nt cycle light loads! Good info.

Is the Weatherby of the same folks that make the high-end rifles? for the price, the weatherby sounds nice. but i dont mind spending more for "the gun i want'. I just doubt I will get a chance to shoot them all before I choose, so i need opinions.

C-
    Capitol Armory ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I also didnt knwo the M4 woudl nt cycle light loads! Good info.

Is the Weatherby of the same folks that make the high-end rifles? for the price, the weatherby sounds nice. but i dont mind spending more for "the gun i want'. I just doubt I will get a chance to shoot them all before I choose, so i need opinions.

C-
    How about something like a Benelli Super 90 (used) or an M2?

As far as cycling light loads reliably it seems to vary by gun. Some Mossberg 930s or FN SLPs will and some won't.

Getting a worked over 3 Gun shotgun might be the ticket if cycling all types of loads is important to you.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Is the Weatherby of the same folks that make the high-end rifles? for the price, the weatherby sounds nice.......................

Kinda, Weatherby does not make shotguns. They put their name on some others make though, much like Browning does. IIRC the Weatherbys are now made in Turkey. They used to be made by Nikko in Japan, who made a solid gun.

And I would not call their rifles 'high end', more like moderately to higher priced production guns. They do have some cheap production guns also.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've had 2 930s (SPX and PRO) and they've been good to me. The SPX had close to 2k rounds when I sold it. The Pro's firing pin mushroomed (known issue) on me at 1500. My buddy at Dissident Arms fixed that and opened up the loading port for load 2s for me. I shoot mostly the Walmart Win and Fed 100 round packs with no issue.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had 2 930s (SPX and PRO) and they've been good to me. The SPX had close to 2k rounds when I sold it. The Pro's firing pin mushroomed (known issue) on me at 1500. My buddy at Dissident Arms fixed that and opened up the loading port for load 2s for me. I shoot mostly the Walmart Win and Fed 100 round packs with no issue.
    I had 2 930s as well and neither would run right. 930 SPX and 930 HD. When they did run right they were awesome. One problem after the other with them though.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I had 2 930s as well and neither would run right. 930 SPX and 930 HD. When they did run right they were awesome. One problem after the other with them though.
    Either you had 1st gen models or just bad luck. I have had 3 total 930 from the turkey all the way up to the SPX and no issues. Have 3 others (friends family) that also purchased them off my recommendations and the only other shotty in that price range I've had similar quality with is the Weatherby.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Either you had 1st gen models or just bad luck. I have had 3 total 930 from the turkey all the way up to the SPX and no issues. Have 3 others (friends family) that also purchased them off my recommendations and the only other shotty in that price range I've had similar quality with is the Weatherby.
    I know lots like them.

I ran several hundred rounds through each. But once I fixed one problem another creeped up.

I put Nordic comp extensions and springs in them (tried all different lengths and original spring). Polished the shell stop and other rough parts. Just never ran right for long. That Choate extension was a joke.

I am still tempted by them as they are soft shooters.

I might pick up a used one again sometime.

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    Turkey is becoming known for good shotguns. My weatherby has thousands of issue free rounds through it, and like said before many companies are outsourcing shotguns. Weatherby puts their name on good products, and it's no exception. It's extremely light as well. One of my favorite feature of the gun.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I know lots like them.

I ran several hundred rounds through each. But once I fixed one problem another creeped up.

I put Nordic comp extensions and springs in them (tried all different lengths and original spring). Polished the shell stop and other rough parts. Just never ran right for long. That Choate extension was a joke.

I am still tempted by them as they are soft shooters.

I might pick up a used one again sometime.
    Why not send it in on their dime and have it fixed? A couple hundred rounds is not much at all

The Beretta 1301 looks promising

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Why not send it in on their dime and have it fixed? A couple hundred rounds is not much at all

The Beretta 1301 looks promising
    They sent me a new crappy Choate extension.

I guess I never sent it in because id fix a problem...then think it was good then the next problem with would happen and I got fed up and sold it. Then foolishly repeated the process believing "I just got a bad one" before.

I mentioned a couple hundred rounds as I know people say "you got to break them in".

I have a pump now and my life is easier. If I buy another auto it will probably be a Benelli or FN.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I spent some time behind a Baretta A400 Xplore with the kick ez system and it shot well. The kick ez system was effective but not for me. It was really soft and I could feel it give when shouldering the gun which I hated.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I bought a Browning Silver Hunter with a 30" barrel about a month ago to shoot trap but then found a Citori that I couldn't live with out. The SH shoots 2 3/4 and 3", cycles light loads and heavy loads without any issues. I originally purchased because of the great reviews and although I only shot a couple of boxes of shells before putting in the safe I have no doubt it will last for many, many years. The article and review was a torture test of one new out of box and they ran over 1100 rounds through it in 4 hours.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Gotta admit that after shooting 1100's since the 1960's my mind is closed about any other Semi Auto shotgun. The 1100 also holds the world record for the most rounds fired without malfunction, oil, maintenance or breakage ..........over 24,000 rounds!

I bought a brand new 1100 a few years back and although the finish is not like the older ones and the engraving is gone from the receiver, it is still a great shotgun! I got the new one from Carter's and it had Briley chokes as a special order available only at Carter's.

Why not refurbish your old shotgun? The parts are cheap!
    Piston assembly.....$20
    Bolt Buffer....$5
    Recoil (bolt) and magazine springs..$5 each
    Extractor.... $17
    Extractor spring and plunger.....$5 each
    "O" ring....$6 for a package of them.

For $50, you'd have a brand new shotgun!

I even went nuts and ordered new stock sets from Remington (About $225). I ordered the replacement set that is found on my NEW 1100. I gave Rem the serial number of that shotgun and got the replacement stock for it. It fit perfectly on the older shotguns. It doesn't have the shiny finish, but it's a beautiful set, anyway.

The old stocks are not available except from collectors. I did order one set from a similar vendor and was not satisfied with it. I ordered a new Remington set to replace it. It's in my parts box, now.

Get a new barrel with Rem Chokes (screw in chokes) and it's a whole new gun!

Just another option!

Flash

Last edited:

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    I didnt even consider the CZ's.

How do they hold up?

So here is my thinking: what do the high-volume skeet/trap shooters use? i will never, ever shoot that much; so if the gun hold s up for them, it'll hold up for me.

C-

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I didnt even consider the CZ's.

How do they hold up?

So here is my thinking: what do the high-volume skeet/trap shooters use? i will never, ever shoot that much; so if the gun hold s up for them, it'll hold up for me.

C-

CZs seem fine. Got good price points. Buddy has a 20 he likes in a semi.

Olympians just about exclusively use Beretta O/Us. They are about as high volume as you can get.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom