Target Sports

Any way to bring back a computer screen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ack! I hit my laptop screen with a flying object.
    Now the screen is mostly lines and gray area.
    Is there a way to fix this or is it new computer time?
    i have my family pictures on the damaged one. How can i recover them?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Laptop screens can be replaced. But if you have to ask, you don't have the skills :P

Also, the drive from the laptop could be accessed from a different computer, using it as an external drive. Or with some, you can boot the entire laptop into "I'm actually an external disk drive!" mode.

Obviously in your case, the easiest way to access your laptop would be attaching an external monitor.

Any other, more specific answers, require make, model and OS of your laptop.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Good advice above.

Having the screen replaced may be 2/3 the cost of a new notebook, depending on how high end your notebook is.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep that panel is dead. I recently replaced two of them for my kid and my wife. They're not difficult to do if you're handy with teensy tiny screws and incredibly delicate PCB connectors. I can't remember what part of the state you're in, but if you're anywhere near here I'd be happy to do the work for you. You can find a replacement screen or screen assembly on eBay pretty easily.

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Ack! I hit my laptop screen with a flying object.
    Now the screen is mostly lines and gray area.
    Is there a way to fix this or is it new computer time?
    i have my family pictures on the damaged one. How can i recover them?

Do you have an LED TV or another monitor?
    Just connect a HDMI or VGA cable from the laptop to the tv or monitor and use that as a temp solution. The you can back up all you pics to a USB thumb drive or extremely drive or even Google if you have a google account.
    I've done that a few times back in the day. Now I do it because I like to have my 3 displays.

ETA: I'm making some guesses here that you either have an HDMI or a VGA connection in your laptop. If you don't and you do have an external display like a monitor or the LED/LCD TV, if you can get to Best Buy you can get an adapter that will take from your laptops USB to whatever connection your tv has. You may need some assistance making sure you have the correct adapter for your TV/monitor. If it's a flatscreen monitor and a few years old and cheap it may only have a DVI connection or it may have HDMI(or both)Either way Best Buy sells adapters that should help you get back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Get a SATA to USB adapter, remove the drive, plug drive into adapter and other end into USB. Access files as normal unless you have some sort of encryption outside of bitlocker. I'm in Salado if you need someone to help you. Free of course and I have everything needed. The screen itself is borked.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I am a computard so no help there. I just want to hear the story about the flying object.

Was trying to remove a barrel band off of a muzzleloading pistol.
    It fits very tight. Have to tap it with a mallet to get to move. Whacked it and it flew off and sailed right across the desk and smacked the screen. LMAO

Went and purchased a new computer. The old one is nine years old so I guess I got my monies worth. LoL.
    Got the drive out of the old one and connected with the cable.
    A window opens and shows some stuff from the old computer but I don't recognize anything.
    Fooled around with it for a bit and said to heck with it. I'll take it to somebody who knows what the hell they're doing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Jeez - I'll remember to keep electronics away from the Moonpie. Lightning strikes, flying gun parts etc. Not a safe zone.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Boy, that falls under the heading of "How the Heck did that happen?" Bottom line is that it was the computer's time to die!

Flash

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Get a SATA to USB adapter, remove the drive, plug drive into adapter and other end into USB. Access files as normal unless you have some sort of encryption outside of bitlocker. I'm in Salado if you need someone to help you. Free of course and I have everything needed. The screen itself is borked.

I have a kit maybe similar to yours , but he may run into issues if his laptop is really old. I was true FYI swap a drive out for a friend and he had an older IDE connector. My kit had a SATA and IDE I think. I think his best option is to try and use an external display. But good ideas. That hard drive kit has saved my bacon more times than I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    If the laptop still works, I would just connect a TV or monitor with a HDMI cable and it should create a split screen being able to use it. I have a broken laptop that I never flip it open because of faulty screen but I use it with a TV.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Was trying to remove a barrel band off of a muzzleloading pistol.
    It fits very tight. Have to tap it with a mallet to get to move. Whacked it and it flew off and sailed right across the desk and smacked the screen. LMAO

Went and purchased a new computer. The old one is nine years old so I guess I got my monies worth. LoL.
    Got the drive out of the old one and connected with the cable.
    A window opens and shows some stuff from the old computer but I don't recognize anything.
    Fooled around with it for a bit and said to heck with it. I'll take it to somebody who knows what the hell they're doing.
    Thanks for the backstory.

I am glad I am armed around you.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    If you live in the DFW area I live in Irving, I would be more than happy to get your files off your old hard drive for you for free. I can also replace screens if you need it.

Just don't gunsmith around my computer equipment lol

Last edited:

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    If you can open the drive using the cable you have, it is likely that you just need to find the files. If it is a Windows machine, there should be a directory called users. That is kind of the top to the folder structure for the saved files. You should be able to drill down there and find the folders you want and avoid having to pay to get them retrieved. You could also search for "*.jpg" and it will likely show you the folder location.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom