• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    I think I read that for the money you can DIY much cheaper but not a bad option overall. Keep in mind I think they count things like dessert or drink mixes as "servings".
    Assuming you have the equipment necessary to freeze dry the food and then vacuum seal the packaging, it is less expensive overall. Starting out is a different story.

Right as Covid hit in China and things were looking weird over there, I realized how lacking I was on the shelf stable items side of prepping. I ran by Sam‘s and Costco and picked up a few of the food buckets (while they still had them) and some bulk pasta, rice, and beans to store in sealed Homer buckets. I’m okay now with the long term storage part, but when I looked into doing the freeze dried thing I slowly backed away.

Just as an example:
    https://bestsurvival.org/best-freeze-dryer

After seeing the prices just to get up and running I figured I could buy a Wise or 4Patriot bucket every month or so and it will last longer than I’ll be around, and I’ll still come out ahead in terms of cost.

As far as Wise, 4Patriots, and the like, you are correct, they do count any “orange“ drinks or chocolate puddings as 3 or 4 servings per individual package.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    People need protein.

A lot of these survival kits, especially at the sane-end of the price spectrum, have very little protein content.

I’d look to supplement the lack of protein with something else that keeps forever, like canned tuna or chicken, so you’re getting a complete nutritious meal and not just something to fill your belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    The prepared freeze dried buckets are crazy high in sodium. Doing our own freeze drying means we can create healthy options.
    Assuming three thousand calories per day each for me and my wife, I have about 9 months worth of freeze dried buckets stored up. That’s about as far as I want to prep that stuff in advance. I also have a rotating stock of about two months of long term shelf stable items so I look at the freeze dried buckets as a last resort and won’t be touching any of that until the store shelves are empty and my garden is barren. If things get so bad that I’m having to cook rations, no matter what the sodium level is, then after 9 months of that it may be time to admit defeat and wait for the wolves.

Also, if I can pimp something out real quick...

Up until a few months back I was not aware a “bucket wrench” was available that easily opens the Homer buckets and food containers. This thing is a lifesaver for your hands and also saves the buckets from being damaged when you try to open them with a screwdriver.

FDA7BF35-6A63-449E-8F10-F3EA004056DB.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Agreed. But you know what good health is anyway, right?
    Good health just means you're dying at the slowest possible rate.

LabRat
    But we all are dying from the moment we take our first breath.

Just about every choice we make in life either speeds up, or slows down the process.

I'd like to think that quality of life is more important than the quantity one spends here on earth matters. Many people choose to just exist, instead of living.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    When it comes time to need emergency prep, does healthy really matter much?
    It depends on how long you think you'll have to endure eating it.
    If it's all about getting calories in to keep from starving that's one thing but longer term..people with health issues..you bet...diabetes have a whole other problem with those pre packed things

Top Bottom