• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I was interested in checking out some 3 gun matches and was curious if anyone participated in them here? It just seems like alot of fun but id like to watch a few matches before i just jump into it.
    Lynx Defense

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I shoot in the monthly 3-gun match here in Houston and make it to a few of the larger ones throughout the year. It is a lot of fun and good practice.

Here is a map with all the clubs that host practical shooting matches in Texas. They are mainly pistol matches but it looks like there is a club in Austin that hosts monthly 3-gun matches and one in San Antonio that has a couple of 3-gun matches a year.
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/Texas Ranges with Practical Shooting Competitionshttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...0.562261,-98.525391&spn=6.770845,9.876709&z=7

The pistol matches, either USPSA or IDPA, are really the best place to start. They run very similar to the 3-gun matches as far as the safety rules and format go but you only have to worry about one platform. It can get very complicated when you are running a stage switching from rifle to pistol then to shotgun with both birdshot and slugs. Just go slow your first few times and focus on following the safety rules and any club will welcome you.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Where are you located? 3-gun is a blast. I have shot a couple and am learning the ropes. I have shot with Jason and he makes it look easy. There is one this Saturday out at Impact Zone. I found that his advice to shoot IDPA or USPSA pistol first and learn the rules is a good start. Safety is first priority and learning t he rules and becoming comfortable at the matches is the way to go. Everyone is great and will give you advice and help. Going slow at first is the best. Find a range and show up for a match. Bring your guns. There are always people there to help. Read up on the various sanctioning bodies so you have an idea what the rules are. If you are around the Houston area, PSC and Impact Zone has a shoot of some kind almost every weekend.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I would like to get into 3 gun after I turn 21 and have everything. Until then I guess I will just keep watching it on shooting usa.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've been wanting to get into it as well. I've been watching for matches, but I've wanted to work a little bit on my shooting before I get into it seriously. I keep putting the word out via facebook for folks to come out to my range on Saturdays and work on moving/firing/reloading drills and seem to have a lot of positive responses, but no one ever makes it out. Im sure Im overthinking it, but I feel like having someone there to add the element of surprise/stress (loading random amountsof ammo in my mags for me, hitting the shot timer when I dont expect it, yelling at me for no reason, etc.) would help to be more efficient.

Seriously, if anyone in the DFW area wants to go out and get some practice, hit me up. Last weekend, no one could go so I went out there alone and ended up having nothing to do but sit at the 1000 yard line with the .338 Lapua and the HK21 hitting steel and my HDPE knockdown targets. It was just torture...

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

Some 3 gun action. Not my best video . . . but its my 1st try at videotaping a 3 gun match.

Top Bottom