Join TexasGunTalk

Anyone else going to stop using YouTube?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Fosty 2.0, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You don’t win by silencing the opposition. You win by beating them with better ideas.

The path of censorship, whether government or by our own hands, will lead to a terrible place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce and easy rider like this.
  2. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    Well if youtube silences all of the right, and the right silences all of the left, then you've shut down youtube and it's left preaching ways. You've removed the tools they use to spread their version of the truth.

Personally, I could care less. I'm not on youtube. I was just having a conversation.

Does your same logic though apply when they decide to confiscate guns? What good would it do to fight back then?

3. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You don't kill an ideal by killing the people shouting it.

4. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    Censorship or the silencing of ideals is what the left is doing, or trying to do, on youtube and many other social platforms. So you either let that happen, or you fight back. If you let it happen freely, then you have no right to complain about censorship or the killing of ideals.

If you use their own game to silence the platform of youtube so that it's no longer a mouthpiece of only one side, then you force both sides to find a new, more level playing field to continue the dance.

I assume both of you will be fine when the left also decides to silence the gun forums for the public good?

But as I said, I'm just having a conversation. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if youtube was gone from the internet tomorrow and we never got to see another youtube video. My interest here is strictly in their censorship because it's something I don't agree with.

5. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That’s a heck of a straw man you’ve just knocked down. Glad neither one of us (easy rider or myself) were arguing to “let that happen”. I would be happy to help you pull the stuffing out of that scare crow but it would be kind of a waste of time.

My arguments have been that YouTube, etc have reached the point that they are no longer simply platforms but an integral part of the first amendment. An opinion that is supported by recent SCOTUS decisions.

The other way to look at it is that those platforms are vital to public discourse and interaction (backed up by SCOTUS opinion) and therefor should be treated in the same manner as other public utilities. No other utility may bar use because they dislike what you say.

The last line of your post.

“My interest here is strictly in their censorship because it's something I don't agree with.”

It’s odd that you would make that statement after criticizing the idea of not censoring someone. If you don’t agree with censorship, why on earth would you promote censorious activities? Taking such action would do nothing to reduce the issues we have now, it would only create more. A censorship war would not end with everyone silenced and an effective end to the first amendment, and I’m sure there would be some still claiming it was fine because the government didn’t do it.

6. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wish mine or an individuals voice carried the weight that could effect change in a conglomerate. Although I believe big techs like Google, Facebook and Twitter are biased, I also believe they are money driven. Because of that reason, I couldn't begin to think how many individual voices it would take to trump a company that spends big money on their platform.

Double Naught Spy likes this.
  7. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Considering that Congress is money driven ...

8. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Next you'll tell me that congress members have become multi-millionaires on $175,000 a year salary.

karlac likes this.
  9. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

10. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Saw that one earlier. Does a great job of explaining the issues.