52CE925A-200F-4C6F-BD38-2ED84C0CF925.jpeg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Almost freezing here. I wake up and see the wife had wrapped herself up in all the blankets...wtf is that shit?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Almost freezing here. I wake up and see the wife had wrapped herself up in all the blankets...wtf is that shit?
    At some point you learn the importance of separate beds. And I’m not talking the couch or recliner. Our hours were always so opposite & a good nights sleep is everything.

Never slept in a wet spot either. Felt them, but never slept in it.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Last year's freeze I burned all extra 2 x 4 in the garage for heat. When I told my grandson we couldn't buy any firewood, the stores were out, he questioned me about having to buy wood. He lives in the hill country, no problem for them.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I live in the hill country, availability of wood is no problem, red oak and some live oak, harvesting it is some problem..., but I have been heating with wood for 23 years now, using a stove. Have been using it, on and off, for more than a month now.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    At some point you learn the importance of separate beds. And I’m not talking the couch or recliner. Our hours were always so opposite & a good nights sleep is everything.

Never slept in a wet spot either. Felt them, but never slept in it.
    Yup I’m there.

sixtysixFox

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    San Antonio
    We have one in the house we rent but elected not to use it since we'd have to pay to have it professionally cleaned prior to leaving. I really miss a roaring fire when it's cold out like we had in my old house as a kid..

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When we had our first Christmas in this house, my (now ex-) wife insisted on having a fire in the fireplace. And on having the air conditioning running. I may have used it once or twice in the 25 years since then.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I live in the hill country, availability of wood is no problem, red oak and some live oak, harvesting it is some problem..., but I have been heating with wood for 23 years now, using a stove. Have been using it, on and off, for more than a month now.
    When I lived in upstate NY I burned wood in a Vermont Castings stove for over 15 years. Purchased logs, cut and split usually with some help but most of the work by myself. I was younger then. Then I was given a coal stove that sat in my living room attached to the fireplace (that's where the wood stove was). I purchased coal by the ton. Then I switched to propane that was an insert for the fireplace.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    When I lived in upstate NY I burned wood in a Vermont Castings stove for over 15 years. Purchased logs, cut and split usually with some help but most of the work by myself. I was younger then. Then I was given a coal stove that sat in my living room attached to the fireplace (that's where the wood stove was). I purchased coal by the ton. Then I switched to propane that was an insert for the fireplace.
    Fortunately, I live in Texas, where real cold is unknown and our cold generally short lived... Still, I use a couple cords every year. When the nights are cold, and the days not too warm, I keep a low fire going, even if it means opening windows, just so I don't have to start a new fire in the evening.

Lots of dead falls, chain saw and wood splitter make the chore doable, but I can imagine a time when I will no longer be able. This year I cut and split a couple cords early, but usually I just harvest a couple weeks worth at I time. I have a huge pile of stove length cedar, from years back when I was clearing, that I think of as my emergency wood, but have never used.

A guy I worked for, who grew up in Minnesota, told me once that people who heated with wood in the old days, if they didn't have a woodpile as big as their house, wouldn't make it through the winter. I can't imagine...

Top Bottom