Texas SOT

Anyone go to the San Antonia Premire show ? is it worth the drive ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So is the SA premier show the same smaller or bigger than the one in RR ?
    Venture Surplus ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Some think it's worth it, some don't. I personally wouldn't drive the 75 miles one way to go. Went up until a few years ago but gave it up when, IMO, the show got crappy (compared to years ago) and the prices went up. If I lived in SA, I might go. Just my two bits.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Gun shows in San Antonio have gone to hell in a hand basket.

The old shows at the Air Port Convention Center (now torn down for a hotel) and at the Freeman Coliseum were "premier."

If you want to buy painted rocks, jewelry, jerky, walking sticks, NAZI flags and medallions, military surplus, and ammo three times as expensive as at Wal Mart or Academy, then give it a go!

I quit going long ago when gun and ammo sales on internet sites (including shipping, insurance, and transfer fees) beat the gun show prices.

Wait now -- The Mad Hatter will probably try to tell you different.

Be well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, take the word of someone who admittedly hasn't been to a gun show this century!

To answer your question from someone else who actually goes to these events both locally and across the nation when the opportunity allows, it all depends on what you are looking for!

I have not been to the Round Rock show but I know it is much smaller than the SA Premier events. Compared to the longstanding SAXET show, Premier is much larger (800-1000 tables), has a better layout, and have a greater selection of vendors. In fact, it is probably worth the drive if you are really interested in going; but as with all gun shows, sometimes they're pure gold and sometimes they are only a couple of hours of looking at and handling firearms. How the latter can be a "waste of time" in anyone's book is beyond me, but I guess when you get old and the highlight of your day is watching Matlock reruns straying anywhere too far from a bathroom isn't a good idea.

Lastly, knowing certain individuals don't go to these shows is yet another incentive to try one! Some of us actually appreciate the fact that they don't show up!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am looking for a few hard to find guns including a Keltec RFB <its ok you can laugh> but it is hard to justify a 2 hour 1 way trip if I am going to look at beef jerky,old bibles, and 5 tables of old mil surplus. Not that there is anything wrong with mil surplus I even have a C&R :)

As far as internet buying I love it if its a gun I have fondled. Its just hard for me to cut loose with 1800 bucks on something I have never held.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As I said, it's a big show. Normally 800+ tables and typically closer to a 1000. It depends on what other shows are going on in the state that weekend; but it probably has the best selection of firearms you're going to find outside of going to the big Dallas or Houston shows. And the good thing is with a lot of vendors, it's easy to compare prices on a specific firearm and maybe even bargain.

All shows have their fair share of non-firearm-related vendors, but this one isn't nearly as bad as others.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL:

It largely depends on what you're looking for. - In addition to what was said above:

LOTS of AR & AK rifles & AK/AR "stuff".

Usually little or no ML firearms, BP or accessories.

LOTS of grossly over-priced (imo) modern firearms & ammo.

Otoh, there is an occasional "gem" if you look carefully. -= I bought my treasured Remington Model 760 in .300 Savage at one of the SA shows some years ago & $$$$ wouldn't buy it.
    Also found a (probably) unfired & "as new" 1st Issue Colt's Cobra for 350.oo from an individual last year.

just my OPINION, satx

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Let's not forget how well the promoters have treated us TGTers. They have in the past shown up at breakfast and payed for all of us, and given us a ton of free admission passes on top of that.
    Nobody forced them to do that, they really appreciate our support.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Armybrat,

I've attended almost every Premier gun-show for the last 4-5 years & personally have seen few new Colt's SAA handguns for sale.
    Otoh.l I've seen several NICE used ones at 3-4 shows since 2011.

yours, satx

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    And you are the one who long ago argued that concealed carry should not be permitted in a gun show lest your son be shot by some gun clown!

Nor do you know of other gun shows I have traveled to other than Dirty 'Ol SA in this Century.

Relax, Max.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And you are the one who long ago argued that concealed carry should not be permitted in a gun show lest your son be shot by some gun clown!

Nor do you know of other gun shows I have traveled to other than Dirty 'Ol SA in this Century.

Relax, Max.
    WTF are you talking about? Are you referring to me?

Top Bottom