Hurley's Gold

anyone hear about these strange wal mart closings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Serious question: You're kidding, right?
    I bought my townhouse in 2013. The kitchen countertop was redone in 2004 but the particle wood equivalent of cardboard isn't holding up and the bottom of the countertop is warping and flaking everywhere. I'll probably have the countertop redone in 2-3 years. If I wanted to I could run the wood particles from the bottom completely through to the top around the sink. I don't know if it was defective particle board glue or what. It sucks.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Unfortunately no. In the last twenty years or so, it is not unusual at all to remodel kitchens and baths in homes that are only 10 to 15 years old, and a fair number that are less than 10.

Not surprising when you consider the shoddy construction, poor materials (plantation grown construction lumber, often improperly dried, is not as dimensionally stable as lumber once was), and the unbelievably piss poor workmanship that is all too common with our current labor force.

Add to these factors the fact that much new residential construction these days uses "built-in" cabinetry (which is 'built in place' by attaching to existing walls) instead of "shop built" cabinetry (built off site, and installed on existing walls).

Because walls move, and move they will, those pretty new "built-in" cabinets (eye candy, with little structurally sound about them, because unscrupulous builders only put money where you can see it) start to fall apart ... literally. AAMOF, it is amazing what those beautiful cabinets in a brand new million dollar home in the area where I live, built in the last boom prior to 2008, look like after five to ten years.

Another factor is when one of these homes sells, the new owner wants to update the look.

Let me put it this way, I make a damned good living redoing kitchens and baths in $800k+ homes because drawers stick, doors are warped and don't close, rails and stiles become loose, and/or the old or new owner simply wants to modernize ... and the aforementioned problems make for a damned good excuse to do so.

I can't tell you how many 500k + homes I installed various stuff like molding and trim as a 16 year old high schooler when I couldn't tell me ass from my elbow.

Bout the only thing I was good at was oil painting the trim.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    If I wanted to I could run the wood particles from the bottom completely through to the top around the sink. I don't know if it was defective particle board glue or what. It sucks.

Not unusual around a sink, especially drop-ins that were not properly sealed, or the caulking was either not the right kind and didn't last as a result.

Particle board and plywood simply do not hold up well in areas subject to moisture.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Not unusual around a sink, especially drop-ins that were not properly sealed, or the caulking was either not the right kind and didn't last as a result.

Particle board and plywood simply do not hold up well in areas subject to moisture.
    Thanks. I think I'll get some kind of cultured granite or something later on. I use my kitchen. I'm not into spending a ton of money on a countertop. I'll pm you when I'm gonna actually do it. End of thread jack

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Why this thread as suddenly become quite interesting?

When mentioning Wal-Mart, and I have no gripe against their corporate attitude whatsoever, it is hard to not make the observation that "cheap", rather than "inexpensive", seems a priority of the corporate vision.

Maybe not as bad as Harbor Fright, but still ...

Wife bought a bag of individually wrapped peppermints (the kind you get when walking out of a Mexican restaurant) there the other day and the damned plastic wrap is fused to the mints, each and every one.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    When mentioning Wal-Mart, and I have no gripe against their corporate attitude whatsoever, it is hard to not make the observation that "cheap", rather than "inexpensive", seems a priority of the corporate vision.

My only point about wallyworld is, it's the customer not the company that drives this mindset.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    There is a lot of money in churches. People make tons of cash with em. Pretty easy to start, tax breaks, lot of under the table transactions.

Lol I was beating the other direction. As in why are a buncha libs investing that much money in something as hated by the left as Walmart.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had a dream last night that my local Big Lots closed without warning. Store fully stocked, but it was just inexplicably shut down. I was mad because I then had to goto WalMart for TP.

Thanks. I think I'll get some kind of cultured granite or something later on. I use my kitchen. I'm not into spending a ton of money on a countertop. I'll pm you when I'm gonna actually do it. End of thread jack
    No way; this thread jack is good. How about "butcher block" counter-tops. I'm a bit dubious on their durability, but they don't cost all that much and are easy to repair.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I had a dream last night that my local Big Lots closed without warning. Store fully stocked, but it was just inexplicably shut down. I was mad because I then had to goto WalMart for TP.

No way; this thread jack is good. How about "butcher block" counter-tops. I'm a bit dubious on their durability, but they don't cost all that much and are easy to repair.
    I looked at them and I like the looks. Durability, price and maintenance are my biggest factors. I want to have a counter I can use and clean then never replace.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I talked to a guy last night in the retail grocery business.

He said the the walmart in Midland that closed donated all of the fresh produce to charities.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Been reading more and more about it. Sounds like they closed the stores for economic reasons, payroll too high, sales slumping, whatever the case is.
    But the reason they went for the plumbing cover story is to protect the stock prices. Could you imagine how Wall Street could react if word got out that they were closing stores for poor performance?

that theory is starting to make more sense to me

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    One of my customers told me last night that FEMA really owns them and ordered them closed. Said he had inside government confirmation.

Said it with a straight face too.

Top Bottom