• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    I have heard about this place for years and have never found a single person who goes there to shoot at there 1,000 yard range. I would really like to get on as a member there but would love to just go and check it out oneday with a person who is a member already and find out the skinny. I go to American Shooting Center but the 600 is getting a bit boreing. Ive even started load development of another powder just to mix it up some. Just figured i'd ask here.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Good luck on getting membership. That list is long and tight.

There is one known member that is on here. He'll belong later to chime in

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I'm a newer member, last yr was first yr.

I've only been to the one on eldridge, rather small range

I mostly goto plink w my 22

Ive heard good things about the juliff range that has the 1000yd range

Just a long way, it's in pearland basically

556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    I'm a newer member, last yr was first yr.

I've only been to the one on eldridge, rather small range

I mostly goto plink w my 22

Ive heard good things about the juliff range that has the 1000yd range

Just a long way, it's in pearland basically

So they are takeing in new members then?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have heard about this place for years and have never found a single person who goes there to shoot at their 1,000 yard range. I would really like to ... find out the skinny.

Let me work from the general to the specific. Your answer is at the end of this post.

I'm a member.

1. Get on the wait list here: How to become a member
    2. When the wait list gets down to you, you'll get an email.
    3. Reply to the email.
    4. Attend the orientation where you turn in your application, background check and fee.
    5. Wait for approval.
    6. You're a member.
    Currently, the wait list is closed. If you visit that page regularly, when the wait list is open it will link you to a page where you can get on the wait list. The process took over a year for me and I was right on top of it, not missing my chance to get on the wait list the first time it became available. That's not easy since when the wait list is opened, it takes just a couple of days to fill up and then it closes again. My estimation is that the wait list is closed at least 50 weeks per year, probably much more. IIRC, the last time it opened it was only open for 3 (maybe 4) days.

Once you become a member, you have to pay attention to 5 pages of fine-print range rules to know what's what. Some examples from the rules:

• If you're shooting an SBR or suppressed firearm you must have your paperwork with you and produce it to ANY other member who asks to see it.
    • If you're shooting a .223 at 800 yards or longer, you are required to use bullets weighing 80 grains or more.
    • Pistols are not allowed at long range. (This one really sucks for me since I have bolt-action pistols that I've used at 600 yards many times in the past, down at the Greenwood club.)
    • No .50 BMG anywhere, anytime.
    • No full-auto or anything that sounds like it.
    • There's an entire page of rules about scheduling and sharing the long range rifle facilities. Different ranges must be closed when others are in use. Different ranges have different priorities depending on the time of day and whether there's a match scheduled in the near future.
    • Shooting at long range requires qualification.
    About that last bullet, the rules specifically say:

To shoot at the 600-yard line and farther, the shooter must know his/her rifle and its ammunition capabilities. The shooter must demonstrate to the high power director and/or his designee that he/she can hit an approved target safely, at the respective extended yard line with each shot ultimately impacting the berm behind the target, to use these facilities. A NRA high power classification card, current and active is the most expedient form of qualification. Successful completion of one of the Bayou Rifles scheduled across-the-course matches, mid-range matches, long-range matches, and/or practice Palma matches will serve as qualification. Otherwise, an interested shooting member must attend a scheduled qualification class and demonstrate proficiency in order to use the rifle ranges of 600 yards or more.

Anyone can come to the long-range matches. If you shoot high power, you'll know where to find match schedules. Show up and talk to the competitors and match director. Shoot a match and get on the high power mailing list. You'll find that actually competing at the range is the best way to help you become a member more smoothly (though not faster; you don't get to jump the line because you know someone, unlike some other clubs I know.)

A note about the culture - The rules contain the following:

NRA approved calibers in high power competition are typically the accepted calibers that may be utilized at the long distance rifle ranges. Types and calibers of acceptable ammunition for these rifle ranges include the types and calibers normally used in modern high power rifle competition. Specific types and calibers not ordinarily utilized in competition require specific approval by the board of directors, high power director or the high power director designee.

It's pretty clear from that (and from the talk given during the orientation) that the long-range facilities at Juliff are built around the NRA high-power disciplines, complete with paper targets and pits. If that culture doesn't suit you, then the range probably won't, either. Nevertheless, I encourage you to visit during a match, introduce yourself to the match director and any officers present, and just start talking. They're always happy to see a serious rifleman, even if y'all's respective approaches to rifle shooting are not in sync.

Last edited:

556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    Thanks Ben. I have done quite a bit of 600 shooting but never in a competition setting, just us out at ASC shooting the gongs. Seems like I'll get into it then. Thanks for all the replies.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    almost doesn't sound worth it to me. Doesn't make sense anyone and their brother can ask for your NFA paper work

Last edited:

556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    almost doesn't sound worth it to me. If I had NFA stuff and you wanted to see my paper work Id tell you to go to hell(unless your a LEO doing a check of some kind)

Ya, that and the no 50bmg thing. If it doesnt teat up my berm at 100 how is it gonna mess up theres? But its there range there rules. I would just like to go shoot on it to see if i even like it but it looks like im gonna have to get into a contest first. Which is ok. Im up for it

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...the no 50bmg thing. If it doesnt teat up my berm at 100 how is it gonna mess up theres?
    The berm isn't the concern. This is a traditional highpower range with pits and mechanical target frames. When you're shooting long range, there's a pit crew standing 10 feet below the path of the bullet, at the targets. Anything big enough to cause serious damage to the frames will throw shrapnel that endangers the pit crew.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Doesn't make sense anyone and their brother can ask for your NFA paper work
    I get the strong impression that the NFA crowd is not particularly welcome. The ranges are dedicated, above all, to shooting competitions. They hold no competitions for NFA guns and I think they'd prefer that anything with a tax stamp just stays off the range.

I'll take that a step further. They don't have (much? any?) competition that requires holster work. You may not holster a firearm at the range during practice days. In fact, if you show up at the Addicks range with a holster on your belt, you'll be told in no uncertain terms to get rid of it.

The club is built and run by and for people who do traditional marksmanship, who show up with guns in cases to shoot at bullseye targets for score. Yes, there's a bit more to it like the .22 silhouette shooting (which is great fun) but my overall point is that all Bayou Rifles facilities are set up for whatever is the opposite of "tactical".

I think the facilities are great and I love the place but it's not for everybody.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Im used to the holster stuff, but people need to get over not allowing NFA stuff. I don't even have any NFA items and I think its ridiculous. a short barrel or suppressor aren't hurting anything. I could understand no F/A at long range places but it sounds too much like a good ol boys place with a bunch of politics to me. Ive seen pictures and its a nice place Id shoot there but from things Ive heard from a lot of folks I don't think I would join.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What are the yearly dues $ at Bayou Rifles?
    I just renewed for $140. Members are also required to put in a certain number of hours on range maintenance. As an RSO, I'm trying to get into their RSO program so that I can work off my obligation that way. Otherwise, I'll have to put in more than just a little bit of physical work at one of the ranges this year.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...it sounds too much like a good ol boys place with a bunch of politics to me. ...
    That's not accurate and I'm sorry I gave that impression. For the most part, it's a traditional marksmanship, paper-punching, pistol-held-in-one-hand, rifles-shot-from-position, type of club.

Some will like it. Some won't. That's pretty much the same as any club.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I used to shoot Service Rifle out there years ago.
    Back then all they had was 300yd.
    Remember it being a nice place.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    That's not accurate and I'm sorry I gave that impression. For the most part, it's a traditional marksmanship, paper-punching, pistol-held-in-one-hand, rifles-shot-from-position, type of club.

Some will like it. Some won't. That's pretty much the same as any club.

Ah ok. It wasn't you Ive heard a bunch of stuff from people who've been there over the years. I like punching holes in paper, but stand by the no NFA at a lot of ranges not just there is pretty dumb

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    The berm isn't the concern. This is a traditional highpower range with pits and mechanical target frames. When you're shooting long range, there's a pit crew standing 10 feet below the path of the bullet, at the targets. Anything big enough to cause serious damage to the frames will throw shrapnel that endangers the pit crew.

First off Not a bayou member so the following comment is based off of repeated hearsay and not proven fact. but...

I was also told, a year or so after the 1K range opened, that in addition to the above noted reason. That the club property beyond the 1k backstop is not sufficient to guarantee that a shot that inadvertently goes over the berm won't cross hwy6.

tell the truth I don't know if that's legit or not but it makes some sense. and even if it's not a legit issue then it might be a perceived one and it's easier to CYA.

Being a member of Greenwood down here in the far end (to y'all) of Brazoria county, the only thing that Bayou has that is of any interest to me IS the long range area. And frankly my shooting skills aren't up to a standard that I feel comfortable shooting beyond 600 yet. and hell I thought Greenwood was hide bound! at least we have action pistol matches and rules allowing for reasonable practice for them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom