• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I just got my generator interlock installed. I have an 8kw (running watts) generator. Currently I can run both of my ac units on this generator but it bogs the generator down.

I only plan to run one ac unit in emergency situations. These soft starts reduce the starting amperage of the AC unit from 70 amps to around 20 amps.

Has anyone installed or used one?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have no idea, but I'm interested as well. Is it possible to adversely affect the compressor by adding it?

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Yep, I have used them for years and @Axxe55 and @andre3k are exactly correct.

They suplement your oem capacitor and are super simple to install, as they should have "piggy-back" connectors that you interconnect with the capacitor your unit already has.

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've never used a soft start in my home but they are very common in industrial use. I understand they lower the in-rush of current by up to 70%.
    What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers don't design them into the controller board.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers don't design them into the controller board.
    I'd say that the main reason is that the stock capacitor is the nominal appropriate size (Farads) - the manufacturers wouldn't "over-design" it with larger capacitance because it would add cost and reduce future service call profits for the HVAC companies.

Also of consideration is the size of the soft start capacitor being about the same as the oem capacitor (about that of a beer can), it must be seperate from the controller board - installed, it usually just hangs from the oem capacitor and maybe gets zip tied to something.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Check out this facebook group. It started in my old 'hood but has quickly expanded beyond Cypress. It's all about using a portable generator to run your entire house. Lots of very good info there, with tested and proven methodologies, well vetted electricians and plumbers, manufacturers of soft start kits, parts lists, how-to's, etc.

Generators: portable generators to power entire house

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Check out this facebook group. It started in my old 'hood but has quickly expanded beyond Cypress. It's all about using a portable generator to run your entire house. Lots of very good info there, with tested and proven methodologies, well vetted electricians and plumbers, manufacturers of soft start kits, parts lists, how-to's, etc.

Generators: portable generators to power entire house
    I joined, very informative group. Seems like the admins are on top of things, unlike a lot of FB groups.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    i’ve got a genny rated similarly to OP.

Had a soft start cap installed on my old unit.

Getting one installed on my new unit as soon as my AC guy has time…i’d imagine he’s staying pretty busy in the heat we’ve been having.

I totally forgot to have the cap installed when i had the unit installed.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Those duromaxx tri-fuel generators seem to be popular in that group. You can get the 13kw gas only generator for $900 shipped on ebay now. The tri-fuel option is double the cost, but still a good deal.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom