DK Firearms

Anyone know what happened today at Red's in Pflugerville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mightymints

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Pflugerville Texas/ UK
    Anyone know what happened today at Red's in Pflugerville? UPDATED

My wife, and a few other people have said that there was an ambulance, fire truck and some police cars there today. It was also taped off.

mightymints

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Pflugerville Texas/ UK
    Update:

Statesman.com : Man accidentally kills himself at shooting range, official says

Man accidentally kills himself at shooting range, official says
    By Claire Osborn
    Posted: 03/02/2010 7:26 PM

An Austin man died today while cleaning his gun inside his car in the parking lot of a Pflugerville shooting range, said Jim McLean, assistant Pflugerville police chief.

The man, who was not identified because his relatives had not been notified, had left Red’s Shooting Range at 1908 Pecan Street West in Pflugerville around 1 p.m. after shooting his gun at the range, McLean said.

There were no witnesses to the shooting, he said. Police were notified when someone discovered the man’s body inside his car about 4:40 p.m., McLean said.

Detectives found a gun cleaning kit on the front seat of the man’s car, McLean said.

The car was not running but the vehicle’s doors were closed when the accident happened, the assistant police chief said.

“This is just a terrible tragedy,” McLean said.

Damn :(

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Killed cleaning a gun? - doesn't happen. A planned suicide with a 'nice' explanation for the insurance company and family.

Stupid.

Least he could have done was keep the shooting range out of the situation.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Insurance does not pay on suicide and many polices pay double if its an accident.
    Planed offing most likely!
    To bad the range got caught in this BS!

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Many insurance policies pay on suicide after two years. Some pay double indemnity for accidental deaths. Years ago in NYC police officers NEVER killed them selves, they all accidentally shot themselves while cleaning their guns. It does seem strange to "clean" your gun in the car. I have never cleaned a gun in my car, ever.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have cleaned a firearm in a vehicle before. But i was in a foregin country and i keep the ammo in the mag pouch. There is no way in hell someone is going to shoot themself while cleaning their gun if they are doing it right, its just a way to make the family feel good about it. The article also says that the cleaning kit was in the ohther seat.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    The article on page B2 of today's Statesman mentioned that the Medical Examiner's office was investigating the incident as either an accident or a suicide. My money is on suicide. I don't know how anybody else cleans a gun, but the first thing that I do is to drop the mag (if it has one) and open the action. Even if I don't field strip it, and only use the pull-through from Hoppe's I still have to open the action because I clean from the breech. But, even somebody cleaning from the muzzle would still have to open the breech to use a pull-through. And, if you were using a rod, you wold still need to open the breech to remove the used patches. Of course, the preferred method is always, whenever possible, clean from the breech.

atx63bravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Austin
    It had to have been suicide, hell reds makes you clear your weapon and have the bolt back before you leave. This dude killed himself with the last bit of ammo he had from the range, the end.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Fucking idiots ... we are getting tired of dealing with these morons. Stay at home.

And people wonder how range nazis are formed.
    Can I Get An AMEN for Brutha Guapo???? agreed here!! Fucking Idiot deserves everything he got, Death for being a Dumb-A$$!! Jack-a$$e$ like him are why EVERYTHING in this counrty has soooooooooo much regulation these days!! "Cause we are here to protect you from yourselves"!!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Evidently he was going to clean his .380 and it cooked off a round. The round hit him in the abdomen and lodged in his spine. He couldn't do anything but sit there and die. For all intensive purposes it appears to be an accidental shooting.

Hell of a way to go. Make sure you keep your boogerpicker off the boom switch, and ALWAYS clear the gun before you start screwing with it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Evidently he was going to clean his .380 and it cooked off a round. The round hit him in the abdomen and lodged in his spine. He couldn't do anything but sit there and die. For all intensive purposes it appears to be an accidental shooting.

Hell of a way to go. Make sure you keep your boogerpicker off the boom switch, and ALWAYS clear the gun before you start screwing with it.

Talk about a bad way to go....

Top Bottom