• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jamessa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    If so do you know any collector's of his work around the Austin, TX area? We have been looking for an appraiser and/or buying for his work. We have a one of a kind original that he has done and looking someone around here that knows his work well.

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If so do you know any collector's of his work around the Austin, TX area? We have been looking for an appraiser and/or buying for his work. We have a one of a kind original that he has done and looking someone around here that knows his work well.

Thanks

Maybe it's just worded different but I'm not sure I understand the question after the 1st sentence.

Since this is in Gunsmithing, is Dennis Kies a gunsmith or custom gun maker? Do you have a gun he made?

Jamessa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Dennis Kies is a master gun engraver who worked for over 20 something years for Colt.

Here are a link to some of his info:

Dennis Kies - USFA Master Engraver

I am looking for an appraiser or a collector of his work to get a gun appraised that he had made for my grandfather before he became well know and worked for Colt. It was one of his very first pieces and it was done on the wood of a rifle instead of on metal.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    MY GOODNESS!

Some serious brain damage went into producing this very nice work!

custom5.jpg

Kies277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    My father

Dennis Kies is my father, he works out of East Hartford, CT. He does all the Master engraving work for US Firearms. You can contact the owner of US Firearms, Doug Donnely, and he can point you in the right direction for appraisals or what not.

Douglas Kies

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Well, jamessa posted and bailed on us. Hopefully he's got email notice set on this thread because I"m not sure he'll find any better lead!!

Keis277, welcome and thank you for the OP for taking the time to post.

How'd you find this?

Jamessa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Hiya Douglas,

You must be the son that lives in Phoenix? I have heard a lot about you from your dad. We saw him about a year ago before we moved and I have talked to him by phone a couple times since then. Do you remember Steve Machie? He was a friend of your fathers growing up. Anyway that's my uncle. I will look up the guy you said to and see what I can find out.

Oh and by the way I'm a woman not a guy hehe :)

Kies277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Yes, I am the son that lives in Phoenix. I do remember the name Steve Machie. I assumed you were female, I only got confused when JKTex called you a "he"...Doug Donnely should be able to steer you in the right direction, he is a super nice guy. He makes some real nice guns as well....

Kies277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I talked to my dad, he asked if you had moved to Phoenix yet. I guess you had told him that you were thinking about it. He also told me a funny story about engraving a shotgun that was almost ysed against him when he was a kid. Something about an angry father...lol

Jamessa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Yup the story is true. When you talk to him tell him we moved to Phoenix (actually we were in Wittmann) hated it there and moved to Austin, TX which I absolutely love. I gotta dig out his phone number so I can give him a call. He is a great guy that dad of yours. I could sit around and talk to him for hours. I am having a really really hard time getting this shotgun appraised cause everyone keeps telling me there is nothing to compare it too. I will live on being pasted on from one generation to the next. Did he move yet? I know he had talked about it as point also.

Kies277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    No, he has not movedyet. He is heading down to Florida to look at places to buy for a winter getaway. He is not enjoying those Connecticut winters anymore. I would love to take that shotgun off yer hands, but I coudn't afford to offer you a fair price...lol. I know Doug Donnely makes rifles now, you could ask him what he charges for my dad to engrave those for him. That could at least give you a ballpark.

Jamessa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Do you know where he is located and how I can get a hold of him? I will have to take pics of the gun so you can see it. Not sure what your dad has told you about it but its not on the metal. He carved all the wood on it. Very pretty and he put his signature on it as well :)

Kies277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Yeah, just drop me an e-mail at kies277@yahoo.com. I can put ya in touch with him. He hasn't told me much about the work he did to it, but his signature should jack the value up pretty good.

Top Bottom