• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Looking to make me an AR as a project so I want to make it on the buy as I go plan. Starting point is the lower and lower kit.
    Texas SOT

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I believe Runner Runner https://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/ who's a TGT supporter does the gun show rounds so would probably hitting your area eventually. He sells both forged and billet lowers with some cool logos on the mag well. I've bought 4 of his lowers and 3 of my buddies from work have bought lowers from him. No complaints at all about his product or service.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    There's quite a few places in Austin that sell lowers. Pretty much every gun shop I've been in (gun shop, not generic sporting good store.)

You can also order from someplace like Runner Runner (I have a few of their Texas lowers and am very happy with them!) and have them shipped to an FFL and then transfer over to you. I ordered some lowers on a Wednesday night (after business hours), the FFL had them Friday morning, they were at home Friday around lunch.

larlev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Dimensional firearms.....has lowers and is local. Great CS also
    I bought a runnerrunner lower, had to file a bit to get it to mate with spikes upper. Fits now though

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys - I forgot to specify that I was looking for an bare/stripped (not 80%) lower. Target price should be under $100. Would like to avoid FFL's - my experiences have been a real PITA and they all seem to think their service is gold plated. There's a guy off Burnet that's reasonable but honestly adding $20-$50 FFL fee to an unfinished lower is just tossing the money I could have spent on a lower kit.
    I went by the new Elite Arms store and GTD today - they all have finished lowers for $150+
    Elite is a pretty neat store - prices are "ok", nothing to brag about but nothing to run from either.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If you are buying a stripped lower online or from a store, it's going to have to go through an FFL the same as any other gun.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Would like to avoid FFL's - my experiences have been a real PITA and they all seem to think their service is gold plated.
    I've done several transfers through Old Cannon Armory in Pflugerville, and he is great to deal with. You can find stripped lowers online for $50-$60 pretty regularly, so even with the $15 transfer fee you'd be well under your $100 max.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I've done several transfers through Old Cannon Armory in Pflugerville, and he is great to deal with. You can find stripped lowers online for $50-$60 pretty regularly, so even with the $15 transfer fee you'd be well under your $100 max.
    Nice! Best price I've heard of. the issue with FFL's is cost. McBrides asks $50 and they're convenient, Storied Firearms wants $25-$30 but he's way the hell out from where I'm at. The guy I found off Burnet is convenient and only asks $20, but he's a call and make appointment kinda business. So not only is the FFL fee money I can save if I can buy locally, it's also a matter of convenience. I'm not sure why OnyxATX thinks that there will still be a FFL fee if I buy from a store - they just need to run the background check like everyone else as part of doing business - or perhaps that's what he meant, the cost is included in the price.
    So maybe the question would have been better as "who's the cheapest FFL that's accessible".

Last edited:

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dimensional firearms.....has lowers and is local. Great CS also
    I bought a runnerrunner lower, had to file a bit to get it to mate with spikes upper. Fits now though
    I looked this guy up and he's got quite a few parts but I'm not so sure about the prices. Example a "sale" price of $250 for a 2-pack of Spike Honey Badger lowers. You can get those things all day long on the web at $85 a pop - with no tax. I'm all for capitalism but a 50% higher cost on *sale* is a bit much.
    But then again he listed a complete Anderson lower with stock for $200 which I think is lower than their web price. There's a lot to be said for consistency...

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    BubbaJon, I wasn't sure if you meant "I want to avoid a transfer fee from an FFL" or "I want to avoid an FFL entirely" (considering shops are FFLs, I wanted to make sure it wasn't the second.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few people that just think you can buy stripped lower without CHL or NICS to keep it "off the books." Excluding person to person of course. I do hear you on the transfer fees though, I picked up a handful of lowers a while back and it took some digging to find a place that wasn't going to cost a fortune for all the transfers.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    you can buy stripped lowers without a ffl only thing is they have a bunch of aluminum you have to cut out of them before you can use them in a firearm :) lol. If someone does not know what I am talking about look up 80% lowers.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    you can buy stripped lowers without a ffl only thing is they have a bunch of aluminum you have to cut out of them before you can use them in a firearm :) lol. If someone does not know what I am talking about look up 80% lowers.
    Well - you'd have to have a pretty good reason to want an AR lower off the books - an 80% will cost you about the same as a stripped lower. I have it on pretty good authority that unless you're a machinist you'll need the jigs and drill guides which between the two will set you back as much as a complete lower. So you end up with a lower that is "off the books" for way more than a serialed lower would cost - all that for a rifle that shouldn't be tied to you anyway if everybody in the goobermint is telling the truth. Maybe that "gotcha" is the reason...

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Nice! Best price I've heard of. the issue with FFL's is cost. McBrides asks $50 and they're convenient, Storied Firearms wants $25-$30 but he's way the hell out from where I'm at. The guy I found off Burnet is convenient and only asks $20, but he's a call and make appointment kinda business. So not only is the FFL fee money I can save if I can buy locally, it's also a matter of convenience.

There's a whole thread here somewhere dedicated to transfer fees. CTGW wins, so far, at $7.50 IF you have a CHL and Texas Law Shield, $15 if you don't. I've done LOTS of transfers through them, including stuff from PSA and Cope's. I think Geri has Anderson lowers pretty cheap and has decent shipping costs, especially if you need more than just the lower (and is a sponsor).

Not sure what Elite on Parmer charges, but I think they are (or will be?) a sponsor, too. I'll be down at GDS tomorrow for two small AR parts, I'll ask if they sell stripped lowers. I'm betting they do.

FWIW, I love my RunnerRunner lower, but I haven't finished that project yet as my Form 1 just came in so I'm finishing my SBR first.

Top Bottom