• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarbonCycles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    It's been a while since I've dropped by...nice to see this place expanding and doing well. Great job gents!

Anyway, with all this complete BS madness going on, anyone else considering getting a really nice bolt gun and focusing on precision long-range shooting? Complete insanity...ugh.
    Guns International

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Anyway, with all this complete BS madness going on, anyone else considering getting a really nice bolt gun and focusing on precision long-range shooting? Complete insanity...ugh.

Nope. I've always had a couple of AR's around. Now I'm focussing on building a couple more, and have ordered an internally-suppressed AK in 5.56 - it'll match my other (non-suppressed) AK in 5.56. I ain't givin' 'em up.

CarbonCycles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Guys, I'm not saying give up or surrender anything. Just focus on something that is a bit more robust to all this political BS.

At this moment, it's nearly impossible to find anything in 223/556 or with the word AR on it. However, I can find and order most things in a larger caliber (e.g., 300 win mag). This seems like a good time to pick up stuff like that and still be able to attend a few classes.

Maybe I'm using this as an excuse to finally pick up an AI :D

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    No compromise, cooperation or surrender here. I saw this coming in May of 2012. Some people acted.....some didn't.

Flash

Last edited:

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Absolutely, get yourself a badass bolt gun and develop your precision shooting skills like the American you are! But if you think any rifle will be safe from the gun grabbers, know this: if we let them take "assault weapons" they will be emboldened to go after the rest. Nothing is safe.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I sold my AR a while back(pre-craziness) to fund my job search. It doesn't look like I'm going to be fortunate enough to snag one up before a potential ban, but I have my eyes peeled and have sold some things I wasn't using in order to be ready if a lower receiver in my price range rolls around. In the event things don't work out in my favor, yes, I am considering a bolt gun in the future.

Shit happens. I'm not rolling over by any means; I have sent out emails, joined the NRA, etc. Got to make the best of it and do what you can lol.

Last edited:

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Reconsidering???? Yeah I am. reconsidering being gentleman like, reconsidering compromise, reconsidering hearing an argument from the other side, reconsidering accepting things how they are just because I'm told that's how it is, reconsidering voicing my opinion by writing my elected official or some on-line poll, reconsidering having a rational debate over our rights, reconsidering life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We'll find out today just how safe our civil rights are....

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Im going to get an assault bolt action rifle. Decked out with a scope and it will prob be black. Im hardcore that way.

Seriously though, I have always liked bolt actions. No compromising here either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    LOL...I added a bolt action. Its in the mail. 700 SPS in 308. The only thing I have to say about the AR's I do have. Iam done playing. My rifles are not leaving my hand. I will recognize any ban as an illegal act against the Second Amendment. I do not recognize obama's interpretation of it. Outlaw I shall be.

Nows the time to pick up something that shoots slower. Iam been looking for a Ruger #1.

I see it like this. 222 special ammo selection sucks right. A bolt will make me slow down on ammo consumption. 40rds of 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm-08, 7mmMag, 338win.......takes alot longer to shoot out a bolt then an AR. Shoot a few rounds, let it cool, drink a DrPepper, texts to the kids.....

22-250 ammo is all over the place. One of the few 22cals, allowed by some to take deer. Ammo is cheap, Walmart still has lots of 22-250. Low recoil. 17HMR, 22hornet, 17 hornet. These fast little rounds will tear critters UP.

The 17HMR is a nasty little round. It's what you need for headshots on small game. Rabbit, squirrel, grey fox, english sparrow. Sparrow's go "POOF".

At 50 yards, a 17HMR will melt through 1/8inch metal. Spoons, practice grenades, fence wire. Right through them. The round is powder at exit. No over shot. It will cut fence. I had a barbwire fence behind some targets(horse apples on camping tent sticks). Right in two.

I enjoy a variety of guns. In reality, any drama over the AR15, isn't gonna effect how much I shoot. Time to play around with a 270.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The punks in Washington occasionally slip and telegraph their intentions. They have said many times that those scoped deer rifles are the same as SNIPER RIFLES! Guys, there is no end to their quest for total domination. Gun control isn't about guns....it's about control. Why switch to another type of gun to get away from their meddling? Later, they'll come after those rifles, too.

Fight, hold firm, join the NRA!

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The punks in Washington occasionally slip and telegraph their intentions. They have said many times that those scoped deer rifles are the same as SNIPER RIFLES! Guys, there is no end to their quest for total domination. Gun control isn't about guns....it's about control. Why switch to another type of gun to get away from their meddling? Later, they'll come after those rifles, too.

Flash

My AR is still due a pig hunt. It's the only damn reason I bought it. One of the best rifles for the job. obama can kiss my sack if he thinks I yielding that.

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    Na. Gonna build another 3 ARs. I love em. Got a 300 AAC barrel being delivered in a few days. What I would like to get is another can, and a nice n shiny Bulgi AK in 7.62..... a bigger safe.....

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Why switch to another type of gun to get away from their meddling? Later, they'll come after those rifles, too.

Flash

I personally wasn't, nor do I think anyone else was, trying to avoid any meddling. A nice long range bolt action is the next logical step in my collection and that's that. Plus both me and my daughter are NRA so we're good there. :cool:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    At the Academy I visited today, they had four plastic containers with 500 rounds of Hornady .17 HMR for $129.99 + tax.

Diversity in calibers does lend to continued shooting!

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've checked several of my local gun shops and they're currently OUT of .308s. I'm seriously considering getting a Remington 770 and one of the gun shops said they have several on back order, because as soon as they get them, they fly off the shelves. So now that I've checked my finances, seeing as how I'm retired and on a limited income, I'm going to have them order a 770. They have scopes aplenty so once the weapon comes in, if I'm not impressed with the attached scope I have the choice to change it.

770-prod.ashx

Top Bottom