• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    35 REM is probably the easiest brass that you can use to convert to 6.5 JAP, and it's inexpensive. First run it thru a .308 die, and then thru a 6.5 JAP die. Make sure you lube inside the case mouth and the outside body thoroughly during both steps, especially during the 6.5 die run or bad things are gonna happen (i.e. stuck brass in die, etc). Don't ask me how I know!!

After that, anneal them, then you can form the brass to your chamber using the cheapest jacketed bullets that you can find and the lowest amount of powder possible, and you will have fine brass that will last for a while.

As a side note, I've heard that .308 can be used but I haven't had the chance to experiment with it since I got back from Asscrackistan.

SR

I've tried 35 rem brass they were usable but they ended up with very short necks. Am I doing something wrong? They were new unfired 35 rem cases that I lubed well and ran through the 6.5 die without and issue. What does the 308 die add to the process?

PS The 30 Rem is the same case necked down to .30 and is a little longer but that could just be from being necked down. I haven't tried them and I suspect they may be a little harder to come by.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Perhaps, given the fact that gunpowder and ammo are supposed to be kept in a cool/dry place (hence the reason we have underground bunkers), if I was you, I would either invest in a climate controlled bin, or get my own place.

ETA: If you want to experiment with .308, have at it!! If I was you, I would wait for some more experienced folks to try it, and let them chime in.

SR

Getting my own place would be great but without getting married again (learned my lesson from my first) it is nearly impossible to be able to afford it, + or - $60 a month for a A/C'd storage place is a lot easier to afford and still put money in the bank for when I do get out. An underground bunker would be sweet but I dont see that in the near future, LOL I'm not staying in AZ after I get out and the water table in the Houston area is too high.

I wasnt planning on reforming any other cases until I a lot more practice under my belt reloading and casting for this and a couple other calibers. Who here casts any 6.5mm bullets, what works best for you? We have a couple suggestions I'm just wondering what else have proven useful for you fellas and or gals.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There is a very informative article about cast bullet loads on CastBoolits.com. Here's a link to that article:

Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article

Note the "classic " cast bullet load using 2400 powder. They consider that the "best" load for CB's in full size rifle cartridges.

I cannot find 2400 powder and have had it on backorder for many moons. My project on Mosin 91/30 rifles cast bullets is on hold until I scare up some powder.

Incidentally, some sites get in a twist over using the word "Jap" instead of "Japanese". Some will actually block the term "Jap"! It's an example of political correctness to an absurd level!

Flash

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    There is a very informative article about cast bullet loads on CastBoolits.com. Here's a link to that article:

Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article

Note the "classic " cast bullet load using 2400 powder. They consider that the "best" load for CB's in full size rifle cartridges.

I cannot find 2400 powder and have had it on backorder for many moons. My project on Mosin 91/30 rifles cast bullets is on hold until I scare up some powder.

Incidentally, some sites get in a twist over using the word "Jap" instead of "Japanese". Some will actually block the term "Jap"! It's an example of political correctness to an absurd level!

Flash

Thanks for the link that was very interesting to read and something I will have to refer to again in the coming weeks.

I refer to the caliber as "Jap" not the people, I spend three years living in Okinawa, Japan and found the people were for the most part very nice and some of the most polite who ever ignored you in a store. Lol.

Dang now I miss taco rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Deleted a double post.

Mods I tried to remove this but couldn't figure out how. If y'all what this post removed from the thread please feel free.

Last edited:

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    How well do cast rifle bullets do in balistics gel? I know a lot the gel ins't the end all be all of testing but it might be something worth looking at. People do hunt with cast bullets and they have been for hundreds of years, but I was just thinking a visual as to what is happening when the bullet hits would be neat.

Last edited:

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    You can ream the chamber for 6.5 Swedish.
    Or, re-barrel for .308.
    Your choice!

Eli

If I did that what would the advantage be Vs. buying a new rifle in one of these calibers? I'm not trying to challenge you I am just wondering what the thought process is.

A new barrel,(might as well get the bolt handle turned down, receiver drilled and tapped at that point) and the gun smith fees are going to cost as much or more than a Savage Axis.

I like the 6.5 for the light recoil, history and fun involved with shooting something different than everyone else.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    If I did that what would the advantage be Vs. buying a new rifle in one of these calibers? I'm not trying to challenge you I am just wondering what the thought process is.

A new barrel,(might as well get the bolt handle turned down, receiver drilled and tapped at that point) and the gun smith fees are going to cost as much or more than a Savage Axis.

I like the 6.5 for the light recoil, history and fun involved with shooting something different than everyone else.

You'd have a much cooler rifle than if you bought some mass-produced piece.

Eli

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the link that was very interesting to read and something I will have to refer to again in the coming weeks.

I refer to the caliber as "Jap" not the people, I spend three years living in Okinawa, Japan and found the people were for the most part very nice and some of the most polite who ever ignored you in a store. Lol.

Dang now I miss taco rice.

Call it 6.5 Arisaka which is more correct and no one is offended.

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Call it 6.5 Arisaka which is more correct and no one is offended.

I was at no point trying to "offend" anyone in any way shape or meaning. If anyone was offended by what I and many MANY Other shooters know a caliber by than I apologize I was not trying to be disrespectful.

Just remember you only have freedom of speech until someone decides what you have to say isn't politically correct anymore.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I was at no point trying to "offend" anyone in any way shape or meaning. If anyone was offended by what I and many MANY Other shooters know a caliber by than I apologize I was not trying to be disrespectful.

Just remember you only have freedom of speech until someone decides what you have to say isn't politically correct anymore.

I wasn't offended and at no point thought you were trying to offend. The subject came up and I thought I'd mention that Arisaka is the correct mane for the rifle and the round.

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Ok so back to the subject of reloading the 6.5x50mm cartage, anyone one here have experience they would like to share?
    I'm still overseas and condemned a deck now days due to medical reasons but I still got a couple weeks left over here during which I would really enjoy reading about members experience, stories and links. :)

sabot_round

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Killeen, TX
    I've tried 35 rem brass they were usable but they ended up with very short necks. Am I doing something wrong? They were new unfired 35 rem cases that I lubed well and ran through the 6.5 die without and issue. What does the 308 die add to the process?

The .308 die allows you to neck-size in increments rather than in one shot. Remember that you are taking a .357 diameter down to a .264, that is a .093 difference, and we are working with brass. My brass comes out ready to anneal and fire-form (a box of the cheapest bullets I can find and minimum amount of powder), and after fire-forming you can not tell them apart from the originals 6.5s unless you look at the head-stamp.

PS The 30 Rem is the same case necked down to .30 and is a little longer but that could just be from being necked down. I haven't tried them and I suspect they may be a little harder to come by.

The 35 REM is available and inexpensive compared to 30 REM and 6.5 Japanese from Norma.

^^^There are your answers^^^^

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom