• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Yep, there will be somebody along to tell you to donate that to a museum or scrap yard.

Nice find Orbitup. Those old black powder guns can be a true labor of love. I can't get enough of them myself.
    I knew you had a thing for shotguns but I didn't know that included old ones. Do you have any?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I knew you had a thing for shotguns but I didn't know that included old ones. Do you have any?
    Yeah, my M1 Super 90 is probably 15+ years old.

Actually I had a Winchester 100 (or something like that) with three barrels. One was marked "Sears" and I believe the set dated back to the 60s. The bluing was very deep and beautiful like they did back then. Too pretty for me to take into the field so I sold it. It didn't have much value and I don't hold collector's pieces anyways.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I used Magtec 12g shells with black powder for Cowboy Action Shooting. The first thing I did was chamfer the edges of the primer pocket. That made priming much easier.

You need to use large pistol primers. To prime the case if you don't have a priming tool you can use a socket wrench with an extension. I found a 9mm 1/4 in drive worked well. You'll need a smooth flat metal surface with no irregularities. Place the primer on the metal surface, place the shell over the primer with the primer aligned with the primer pocket. Place the socket with extension attached and gently tap the extension with a plastic hammer until the primer is seated. You'll hear a change in tone when it's seated. This is basically the same method as the Lee hand tool uses.

You can order a 12g shell holder from RCBS to prime on a press.

For a mild load you can use what the CAS shooters call a "square load". It's 4.3cc powder and 4.3cc shot. #7 or #7.5 shot works well. I used Hogdon 777 rather than BP because it was easier to clean but still made lots of smoke. I think this is something like 3/4 of a full load. It is using a Lee 4.3cc powder scoop.

Once the shell is primed pour in your powder charge, place the wad over it, then pour in the shot and then put an "over shot card" over it. You'll need to glue in the over shot card. You can use Elmers or Duco Cement. Some people use Water Glass (sodium silicate) but the glues are easier to obtain. It helps to roughen the inside of the case near the mouth with a bit of sandpaper to help the glue stick.

You can use vegetable fiber wads but I like Winchester pink wads.

My brother is using brass shells with smokeless powder to load mild loads for his kids.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The store I work at usually carries Triple 7 and Pyrodex RS in the 1 pound bottles in the fall. Probably the next couple weeks. Most reloading suppliers should have it as well. If you use Tripple 7, use 25% less volume than black powder or Pyrodex.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Anybody tried the 'Blackhorn' 209?
    I bought some that was on the discount table at the pawn shop but I have not used it yet.

bob

Attachments

• b209blackpowdercartridgedata.pdf
      232.6 KB · Views: 260

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Good stuff on ebay. I have a bid on a set of tools but I see a Lee set that I might try for. It ends earlier.

Made an offer on this and after a little dealing settled on a decent price.

61a3d48bdf5616ce360af6351f5a7a6d.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you were so inclined, Cabelas in Allen has a crap ton of shot right now.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    First 2 for testing. Tell me if this sounds okay. 7/8oz of 777 and 2 1/2 drams (about 1oz I think) of shot. So by volume that's just a little more shot than powder. I think you are supposed to use a little less 777 than BP. I need to get some better scoops.

306a4d19875e2e406bf6f5e45910cf3f.jpg

Top Bottom