Patriot Mobile

Anyone using X-Treme Copper Plated bullets in 38 Special for reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    I just picked up a 500 bullet pack of X-Treme 125 gr. FP plated bullets (waiting on them to be delivered). Wanted to know your experience for anyone using them. Looking for recommendations for powder & primers. Howe was the accuracy? Any problems with cutting through the plating when you crimped the cartridge? How did they compare to Berry's plated bullets? Kind of leery about using them since I am hand assembling with a Lee Loader (hammer time). TIA
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Xtreme make good stuff.

Plated bullets are fine for 38 Special velocities.

You don't need much crimp (just remove the bell) but I haven't had any issues even in Magnum rounds with a heavier crimp.

Powder and primers? Ha. What can you find? They'll all work.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Just an observation (as I’ve only used plated bullets for 45acp). I was advised to load closer to lead specs as opposed to jacketed data.

if you’re not running +p .38 spl, maybe look into coated lead bullets (they‘re $35 per box of 500).

Last edited:

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I do. I use em for 38 spcl and 357. They work well under a charge of Titegroup.

Edit: Looks like my latest loads are with Universal, because I hate that crap in my Semi-Autos because I always end up with unburned powder everywhere inside the gun and on my hands.

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think finding the right powder to go with it will be your challenge. I've loaded plenty with aa#5 but couldn't get good consistency til I was entering +p territory. Titegroup might be a good choice although the scant amount of powder in that large case may make you second guess yourself.

Although dirty, unique might do ok too. I know at 357 velocities, lighter bullets will allegedly flame cut guns. Which is why most stick to 158gr, that's also what I end up loading most often. I wouldn't worry about pushing them too fast or reducing loads like they're lead. You'll never approach 1200fps unless you've double charged a case.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've used a ton of them. My perception is that they are better than Berry's - just looking at them, they seem to have a lot smoother finish. I've loaded them with Titegroup, but I prefer a slower powder like CFE Pistol.

One thing you might consider in the future is that on Xtreme's website, there is some verbiage about how their hollow nosed bullets have thicker plating than the others and you can shoot them at higher velocities. I made a bunch of mild .357 mag rounds with them. Here's a link: https://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Maybe I will look at getting some 158gr swc instead of holding out for jacketed bullets I can't seem to find anywhere. Looks like there are some recipes for 2400 that I can work up to just under 1200 fps.

Something to think about.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Perhaps I am wrong but applying a crimp using a hammer instead of a press seems like it would go through the plating. Let us know how that works. As far as crimp, you may want to see if you have bullet migration in your 6th (or earlier) round by measuring with a caliber before and after. I tried reloading shot shell .38 specials ( which you can't really crimp at all ) and shooting in a Ruger LCR (very light gun) with migration of the shot shell so much after 1 shot that it locked up the gun. Was a bitch to clear out all of that spilled shot from the crane.

kantor99

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    United States
    I've used several different bullets from Xtreme and all have worked fine. In fact, my favorite 38 special is their 148 gr wadcutter. For general range practice, I use a light load of Accurate #2. Shoots easy and makes a nice hole.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Perhaps I am wrong but applying a crimp using a hammer instead of a press seems like it would go through the plating. Let us know how that works. As far as crimp, you may want to see if you have bullet migration in your 6th (or earlier) round by measuring with a caliber before and after. I tried reloading shot shell .38 specials ( which you can't really crimp at all ) and shooting in a Ruger LCR (very light gun) with migration of the shot shell so much after 1 shot that it locked up the gun. Was a bitch to clear out all of that spilled shot from the crane.
    Not to derail the conversation but if you use a powder charge, followed by a cardstock wad, then the shot then another cardstock wad with a HEAVY crimp, it works awesome.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Not to derail the conversation but if you use a powder charge, followed by a cardstock wad, then the shot then another cardstock wad with a HEAVY crimp, it works awesome.
    Not to derail further but do you have a formula you like for .38 special?

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    Xtreme are my favorite. I’ve found that a powder charge right in the middle of jacketed min and max powder charge data gives me the best results. As far as powder in general, choose one that works best given the velocity limitation of the bullet. However, in 38 special, you are not going to exceed the maximum velocity so use any powder that works well for normal 38 special rounds.
    And don’t roll crimp a plated bullet. Just take out the expansion bell like you would for 9mm jacketed bullets.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I use Extreme and Berry's in 9mm, .38 Special and 45 Colt. Any powder and charge that will keep you under 1300 fps should be good. IIRC, that is the velocity the plating is rated for.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    When I reloaded 38/357 shotshells I used a light load of BE (3.0 IIRC) with a brass gas-check seated on top of the powder. Packed it with #12 shot and turned a gas-check upside down on top of the shot and then heavy roll crimped the gas check in place. Worked fine, no loose shot.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Thanks, shot size and weight?
    LMAO you were asking about the shot shells? They were lite, 7 1/2 shot because that's what I had but I don't remember the weights. In shooting them I think it would be pretty tough to put together an overcharge since there is no real chamber pressure. The primer pop was 1/2 of the report I'm sure. But I do know I used up some of my magnum small pistol primers.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Rotor, here is a YouTube tutorial on using a Lee Loader to load 38 Special ammo. I used to use one when I was a kid to reload .45 ACP. I am with this guy on priming though and I picked up a Lee New Auto Prime priming tool as I used to set off a few large pistol primers in the day banging away with a hammer and hunk of 2x4 to protect the die and tools.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/USPTf56sfEI"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom