• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Appleseed project, but I would recommend it.

It is the best rifle training at the lowest cost. When I lived in another state, I took my 9 year old with me and we hammered it out for two days. While it was difficult, it was well worth the time spent.

That being said: I wanted to attend another session with my 9 year old (who is now 10) and looked up the schedule dates in Texas. I live in the DFW area and they only come to Argyle, TX once a month. Apparently at the Quail Creek range.

I noticed in the registration information it stated no one under 12 can shoot and only .22lr rifles can be used!! This also included the lame TX range rule about not allowing the ever dangerous FMJ ammunition.

I'm guessing the age and .22lr rule is due to the requirements of the shooting range and not the Appleseed Project since Appleseed is all about training the youth on how to be riflemen on real caliber rifles.

Can anyone confirm this fact?

I looked up the gun range and according to their rules you can pay to have a minor under the age of 12 to shoot with you and their rifle ranges do allow bigger calibers if you just show up to shoot on your own (although they still have the FMJ phobia).

I sincerely hope Appleseed isn't changing their mantra and altering the purpose of their rifle training.
    Guns International

olfart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    N.E. Texas
    You are correct. The restrictive rules limiting age and ammo are from the range. Appleseed still encourages youth (age to be determined by the parents) and allows whatever caliber and type of ammo you can afford to shoot (except tracer/incendiary).

There are events scheduled in several areas around DFW. If you can't find one in that area that meets your needs, we're having one near Atlanta, TX April 16 - 17 on private property. No range fee, no caliber limits. We'd be delighted to have you and your son come.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    You are correct. The restrictive rules limiting age and ammo are from the range. Appleseed still encourages youth (age to be determined by the parents) and allows whatever caliber and type of ammo you can afford to shoot (except tracer/incendiary).

There are events scheduled in several areas around DFW. If you can't find one in that area that meets your needs, we're having one near Atlanta, TX April 16 - 17 on private property. No range fee, no caliber limits. We'd be delighted to have you and your son come.

Thanks for the reply! Good to hear Appleseed is sticking to its core beliefs. I was very pleased with the training and the program and have recommended it to everyone I know who is either a gun nut or just thinking about buying their first gun.
    Is the one in Atlanta on the Appleseed website? If not, send me the details and I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom