Ar-10??

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by ConnRadd, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Why is it impossible to find an AR-10?

I have 2 AR-15's, but I really would like to have larger caliber assault rifle. I'm debating on getting a 6.8 upper, but the bullets are hard to find and pricey.

2. TdDude

TdDude Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    there's no such thing as an "Assault Rifle"!!! Stop saying that!! :hammerhead:

Other than that, good luck finding what you want.

3. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Do you want a specific one I see dpms lr 308 ap4 all the time at gun shows for 12 and 1300 I got one and love it, it is very accurate.

4. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

I seen the LR 308 AP4 on the website. Looks impressive... I'm not married to any brand, but I've read really good reviews on that one.

5. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    If you are on a budget, buy an Armalite. If you are not on a budget, buy a POF. You can find them on Gunbroker all the time.

6. crazy_taco

crazy_taco New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    El Paso
    Try RGuns. They mainly carry DPMS.

7. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

Aug 9, 2009
    the range

I also have DPMS .308, like a weapon with more knock down power so I didn't even look at .223.:fighting0002:

8. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    +10

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IIRC, there aren't many real AR-10 clones, if you want an actual AR-10 it's pretty much Armalite or nobody. DPMS makes a nice AR in .308, though. Very accurate rifles, you'll need a better trigger to get everything out of the rifle, though. They're pretty decently-priced at R-Guns.

RGUNS - Complete AR-15 Rifles - .308

Yes there is. It's never a semi-auto, though. And an AR-10, even in select fire, wouldn't qualify... it would be a battle rifle.

History lesson! "Assault rifle" is a technical term at this point, dating back to 1944. It's used to describe a select-fire carbine that fires an intermediate cartridge (meaning it falls between pistol-caliber guns like SMGs and full-power rifles or light/medium MGs). The first assault rifle could arguably be the M2 Carbine (though I don't think it is - .30 carbine is about as powerful as .357 magnum so it could technically be a SMG), but the first rifle to be stuck with the name is the German StG-44. StG stands for "Sturmgewehr", which translates pretty directly to "assualt rifle" - it literally translates to "storm rifle", storm being the version you'd use in "they stormed the fortifications" - 44 being the year it was adopted. The StG-44 fired the 7.92x33mm, AKA 7.92 Kurzpatrone ("short cartridge"), AKA 7.92 Kurz, AKA 8mm Kurz. Sometimes it's mistakenly called 7.92 or 8 "Kurtz" or similar, probably because Americans who don't know any German think it's named after some dude named Kurtz...

10. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    And the only company that makes an "AR-10" is Armalite. :tongueout: