• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mkperritt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Carrollton
    After much time, I have decided to enter the AR world and am looking for my first AR. There are several makes and models. Not wanting to drop a bundle on my first AR, what would the experts on TGT suggest I look for, be wary of and where to buy?

Like so many firearms these days, the AR has many accessories... My plan is to buy a base model, become comfortable with the weapon system and then find what accessories to buy. Is there a place in DFW that will allow you to "test drive" some optic systems and other accessories before making the proper investment? My exposure to AR systems is minimal to non-existent and I am trying to do as much research before making the dive.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Michael
    Hurley's Gold

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would buy a very simple AR15 to start...
    16" M4.
    You will get a 16" barrel, plastic handguards, m4 rail/flat top, 5.56 chamber, m4 stock. Very good meat and potatoes gun. Then buy a Backup iron sight. Save optics for later when you have figured them out.
    Bushy, rock river, stag, armalite all make good guns.
    Check out Academy fir the best price. Buy a good lube like break free CLP and moisten the bolt. Shoot about 1000 rounds thru it and then modify it.

Mkperritt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Carrollton
    Texas42

My goal is to stay between $700-900 for the first one. I'd love to drop $2-3K on a top end, but don't have much need for a high end now. Looking for a basic plinking rifle and to shoot pigs on a lease...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Buy whatever cheap lower you want.

Then take some time, figure out what you want in an upper. Then get a good deal. Got mine pretty reasonable. A lot of great stuff in that range.

My first upper was a DPMS, which cost less than $400 with a BCG. I sold it and settled for a BCM middy, which costs closer to $570 after including handguards and shipping. Definate quality difference. The DPMS never malfunctioned, and was more accurate than me.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    For 7-900 you should be able to get a good foundation rifle. Shoot it and have fun.
    Get it, shoot, enjoy. If you are not satisfied with the accuracy i would upgrade the trigger and add a target scope. If you are still not happy I would buy a target grade upper and move the scope to that upper. Then you have a blasting, hole defense, fun upper and also a dedicated target upper. Expect the nontarget upper to shoot 1-2 MOA.

I like hornady tap FPD rounds for pigs, deer and home defence. They are devastating and don't over penetrate. You will need a few good mags. There is a lot of debate on mags but I would suggest a good aluminum body GI contract mag. Get a 20 and say 6 30s and buy more as you can. I don't like plastic mags. I have had too many seat too deeply and jamb the gun. Some folks swear by them, I swear at them.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    You've got several good choices at that price range. If I were me I'd get either the Smith and Wesson M&P 15MOE or the Bushmaster Texas, both of which are $899 at GT Distributors, which I think is either opening or now open in Dallas too. You get more value with the MOE version since it has all the Magpul upgrades including the BUIS already installed, but the Bushmaster Texas is cool too (both have the important features such as properly staked carrier keys, etc, that you can find on the infamous AR15 chart, which you should consult anyways).

It is usually recommended, and for good reason, to get familiar with your rifle and become accurate using the iron sights before adding optics. For optics, I like red dots/holographic sights becuase I don't do any distance shooting with ARs and they make it a breeze for those closer ranges. If money was no object I'd get an ACOG though.

Not sure about rental optics, I don't think any place would let you test drive one that was new in the box, maybe a demo model? I know Red's North here in Austin has a ACOG mounted on one of their range ARs, but renting that is bad because it will make you want one.

Pig hunting with a .223 requires you to be an excellent shot, if you want a fun pig gun the the AR's nemesis, the AK, is much better suited.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    if you want a good hog gun and still in the 700 dollar range building one would be a good choice. start with a complete upper, or go with a full kit. that way you can get a harder hitting caliber choice for your hunting. either building on or buying one you should be able to get a very decent gun in you price range. the last ar i built was 652 dollars after everything said and done. its mostly magpul moe and rock river parts.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    In that price range Rock River Arms has a couple of complete guns. One advantage of the RRA guns is that it include 2 stage national match trigger and a chrome bolt carrier if you shop carefully.

Joat

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    RGUNS - Complete RGUNS AR-15 Rifles -5.56mm: 16 Inch
    Good prices and selection

I typically like Academy, but their AR prices are nothing great.

What a great website thanks texascop... I have to agree as well that Academy's AR prices are nothing really competitive... And purchased there it is customized the way the manufacturer wanted it or Academy ordered it but with that website you can do anything you want to it... :-D

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Someone posted a link a couple months ago, might have been a year ago at this rate of a place that sold bargain bin used AR's at a decent price... Anybody still have that link?

Top Bottom