• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I'm still building my list of what would build into a good home built AR and will be needing some opinions so if you have one and see a new post on this thread, feel free to chime in.

Right now i'm on Bolt carrier groups, I know there's titanium, chrome plated, etc. etc. but I have found one made by Denny's guns for a good price and was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on them, any BCG suggestions are useful as well.

Here's the link to the Denny's BCG
    DENNYS GUNS/GTS ION BOND SUPER DUTY BCG M16

Also, i've found some Black Rain uppers for $200 a piece or these for $285 for a 4 pack A3 STRIPPED UPPERS, BUILDERS SPECIALS

Ideas?
    Target Sports

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    the Bravo Company BCG is 139.99 anything else is a waste of money, I don't have an opinion on those uppers. I have used Stag and the Bravo Company uppers on the dozen or so ARs I have built

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't know if anyone has experience with this company, but if what they advertise is true, it's one heck of a deal. I've thought about one for my AR.

FailZero

Spiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Rockwall
    the Bravo Company BCG is 139.99 anything else is a waste of money, I don't have an opinion on those uppers. I have used Stag and the Bravo Company uppers on the dozen or so ARs I have built

There's absolutely no reason to buy anything other than a BCM BCG unless you're going into the very depths of Hell to slay an innumerable amount of demons and need to fire 10,000+ rounds before relubing. Then you should probably consider an LWRC piston gun.

;)

But in all seriousness, a BCM group is going in my home defense rifle that I'm building right now. There's not really any point in buying more than that.

superchi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

Excellent blanket statement

Although I have no experience with the Ion Bond finished version, I have been running Denny's Super Duty BCG in my SBR and it has performed solidly. It's built from quality parts, properly staked, and functions reliably. I also happened to buy mine when they ran a weekend sale, cheaper than BCM by a bit.

I've spoken with the folks at Denny's Guns/GTS a few times and they're good people with great customer service, which I think is another plus. Not to question BCM's product or service quality at all, I've seen their products first hand and they sell top-notch products at a great price, but to say they are the be-all/end-all is a bit too much Kool-Aid drinking for my taste.

I'd say if you're set on the Denny's BCG, buy with confidence and don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. I wouldn't say I wasted my money.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Main recommendation I have is, at the least, definitely get an M16 BCG. It has more mass and will smooth out the recoil impulse a bit, plus it is just more robust over all and what the platform was originally designed to work with. ALL of the BCG's listed above will work just fine. Just remember that, regardless, the bolt itself is a wear item and depending on the exact one will likely have to be replaced somewhere between every 5-10k rounds for most of them. Bolts are pretty cheap anyways.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    RRA is selling chrome plated bcg for $130 for a short time. I just got one a day or two ago and it is well done. Carrier key is staked nicely and it has a good smooth even finish. At the last gun show, I saw and handled a Fail Zero (nickle boron?) coated bcg. I may have the wrong name for it, but man it was nice and slick. They say you can run it w/o lube, but a little would be the right thing to do. But it was so slick that it seems that it would provide very good service. All that for just, ......Ahem.....$230 or so. Too much for me, given that the RRA chrome bcg is $100 less.

Just something else to think about.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Excellent blanket statement
    Although I have no experience with the Ion Bond finished version, I have been running Denny's Super Duty BCG in my SBR and it has performed solidly. It's built from quality parts, properly staked, and functions reliably. I also happened to buy mine when they ran a weekend sale, cheaper than BCM by a bit.

I've spoken with the folks at Denny's Guns/GTS a few times and they're good people with great customer service, which I think is another plus. Not to question BCM's product or service quality at all, I've seen their products first hand and they sell top-notch products at a great price, but to say they are the be-all/end-all is a bit too much Kool-Aid drinking for my taste.

I'd say if you're set on the Denny's BCG, buy with confidence and don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. I wouldn't say I wasted my money.

Let me put it another way. I would say buying a BCG of lower quality is silly. There are a lot of places you can save money, the BCG is not one of them. The BCM BCG is a quality part at a great price, anything more imho is "bling"

now it sounds like you got a great deal buying a quality part on sale, and its working for you. I would agree it doesn't sound like you wasted your money.

superchi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Let me put it another way. I would say buying a BCG of lower quality is silly.

Now I completely agree with you, $140 for a quality BCG from BCM is hard to beat and I'll admit there's a lot of subpar offerings out there that are being sold for the same price

Slvr Surfr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    DFW
    Another vote here for Bravo Company. All mil spec parts from a reliable parts manufacturer. $139 for a complete bcg is a good deal.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    From all that i've learned, the upper is what makes or breaks you and i'm not going to skimp there.
    As far as the upper, I think i'm waging my own war. I'm going with a good 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel, railed gas block, maybe a free float tube, maybe a mag-pul moe front stock, Bravo company bolt carrier group. As far as the actual upper receiver, I think that i'm going with an Armalite upper. They sell on midway for 109.99. I haven't gotten to the upper yet but when I get some more fun money on hand, i'll let you know how it goes.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    yepp i knew that i was just thinking that maybe he could get a little better deal than i could but maybe im not right ?

Top Bottom