• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Which one is the best? My criteria are: can will stay tight after a bunch of rounds, and flash hider is made to partner with a quality can.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Subjective. Figure out what can you want and get the flash hider to match.

IMO the best for eliminating muzzle flash is the Smith Industries Vortex. But it's not designed like the A2 hider, it's going to kick dust up when you shoot from the prone. And I don't know which cans it works with...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I've heard stories of quick attach suppressors loosening to the point they can fall off the gun or take a baffle strike. Looking for experiences related to this, good or bad.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My AR's flash hider is pinned and I suppose even welded on, 16" barrel to make it legal but my Galil one got loose a couple of times and a drop of "lock tight"
    made it stay put....Sorry to stray a bit from the original subject...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Loctite won't work too well on a suppressor app. Too much heat for the stuff to survive.

I don't see how it could loosen up if it's got a new washer and is torqued properly.

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    Check out Yankee Hill. I haven't had any problems with my Phantom 556 with the QD. I will have the 308 Phantom to go on my 6.8SPC when my paper work comes in this month, at least I hope it does.

TM

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    flash hiders

I have experience with AAC birdcage and blackouts, and the YHM phantom in .308. Here is a picture of both. The yhm has a nice tight lock mechanism however I say the blackouts work the best for Flash suppression, the birdcage is my favorite look. In the pic below you see 2 of them. These are both my guns however the CAN on the ar-15 is my friends it is the aac 762 it is AWESOME. It weighs less than my m4-2000 and is quieter(this is a pre 2007 m4-200 not sure about the new ones) He runs this can on his SBR and it is awesome. Why get a 5.56 can when you can get a 7.62 can and run it on anything from 308 win and smaller? The setup he was shooting was pretty incredible and our friends that were up the road behind us about 40 yards said all they really heard was the super sonic crack echoing through the valley in front of us. So there is my AAC plug for a very versatile can. I am getting the YHM Phantom and the only pro id say is it is bullet proof and can be used in magnum .30 cal applications which is why I got it. But if you plan on .308 or below the 762 aac is lighter and has better suppression. That is my birdcage and m42000 and you can lookup the blackout and yhm ones pretty easy.

DSC02413.jpg

LR-rami-jeremy2.jpg

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Also I use a thread locker on mine with no problems a lot of the 5.56 can hiders cannot be used, or say not to be used with a crush washer. Another option is the silver solder. It will discolor your flash hider a little bit but I promise if you use your can that will make no difference. I use a dremel wire brush to clean up my flash hiders after a few hundred rounds as the carbon build up is insane. Also one OTHER thing is that if they make a BRAKE instead of a hider GET IT!!! The brakes act as another internal baffle and will increase the life of your can! Also helpful for you guys that want to run 5.56 cans on anything less than a 12" Barrel. Anything shorter and the unburnt powder starts sand blasting your Blast baffle and on a 10.5 in barrel or smaller your can will wear out 30% + faster than normal!

Jeremy M.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    In the pic below you see 2 of them. These are both my guns however the CAN on the ar-15 is my friends it is the aac 762 it is AWESOME. It weighs less than my m4-2000 and is quieter(this is a pre 2007 m4-200 not sure about the new ones) He runs this can on his SBR and it is awesome. Why get a 5.56 can when you can get a 7.62 can and run it on anything from 308 win and smaller?

Hey, Jeremy.

So, can the 762 AAC suppressor ratchet onto a 5.56 AAC flash hider?

I just ordered the 51 Teeth AAC Blackout for 5.56 with plans to to get the M4-2000. But, if the 762 suppressor fit, I'd rather get that for more future options.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well that 762 is made for the 18tooth. The 18 tooth mount is what my m4 2k can is. The 51 is better. I was told they were switching totally to 51 tooth for EVERYTHING(however going to continue to sell the 18thooth for people like me) But to answer your question yes. They sell the 762 in 51 tooth NOW so if you find a 762 you need to make sure it is not old stock on a class 3 dealers shelf and a 18tooth. Also look for the 51 tooth brake coming soon.

I promise you you will not regret it. My m4 2k was one of the first cans in the industry that had the quick attach at a decent price. If they would of had that for .308 back then I would have got it for sure. here is a pic of my buddy running that same can on his SBR, and the new AAC rem 700. If this does not show you the versatility than I don't know what does.
    700 aac.jpg 762sbr.jpg

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have never had an aac back off on me however they do start to get a little play and FEEL kinda "non-tight" if you grab it and twist back and forth.. The lock mechanism is built into the can. On the YHM the lock is built into the mount and it is very very tight.

So my opinion is the yhm is tighter however the AAC is a better product all around and I don't believe you will have issues at all. My m4-2000 can is 5 years old and I have treated it like dirt. It has 1000 rounds of .22 through it(a no no), dropped, scratched, at least 5k of .223 maybe way more than that. The blast baffle is BLASTED and both ends of the can are worn all the way down to the metal. The sucker still locks up tight and still performs.

Also the YHM hiders kinda look funny to me. Either way you will be happy with both products. YHM has good customer service as they have helped me out some in the past with my pistol cans. I don't know about AAC as I have never called.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Well that 762 is made for the 18tooth. The 18 tooth mount is what my m4 2k can is. The 51 is better. I was told they were switching totally to 51 tooth for EVERYTHING(however going to continue to sell the 18thooth for people like me) But to answer your question yes. They sell the 762 in 51 tooth NOW so if you find a 762 you need to make sure it is not old stock on a class 3 dealers shelf and a 18tooth. Also look for the 51 tooth brake coming soon.

Well, crap. I've got a 51T AAC Blackout on the way for the AR Upper build we've been talking about. I suppose the upcoming muzzle brake will have to go on my next build. ;)

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Since you are running a longer barrel is by no means critical. I just think a little extra cash up front is not a bad thing to increase the longevity of such a pain in the ass expensive ass item to get your hands on.

JCM

Top Bottom