• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    What do you all think of the 450 Bushmaster AR? I was looking at getting either that 450 or the 50 beowulf. I prefer the 450 personally since the ammo reminds me of my 45-70. Any negative points of view on this rifle?
    ARJ Defense ad

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I prefer the Beowulf. This is just my preference as the three big AR rounds (450, 458, and 50B), are all short range high impact novelties. If you look at the ballistics they are all very similar. None of them really outclass any other.
    To be honest, in hindsight I would have gotten something else as I cannot imagine factory ammo being around for any of them in a few years. None of them have sold very well. This matters less if you reload.

RobertP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Spring
    My buddy got a .458 SOCOM upper for his AR and I must say it is very cool. Easy to shoot and just plain FUN!

When he was sighting it in he accidentally hit one of his target's support posts and took a big chunk out of it! It was a normal size fence T-post and that .458 carved a big fat chunk! He plans to use it for hogs and its going to do that job nicely!!!!

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I started really considering what LJH said though. I don't plan on reloading 450 but it might just be one of those slow to sell type of deals for a few more years. I don't know. I am looking for another toy, I'm on one of my gun buying sprees again.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    LJH;415076[COLOR=#222222 said:
    I cannot imagine factory ammo being around for any of them in a few years.[/COLOR]
    Someone should make an AR in .454 Casull instead

Would be kinda odd with the rimmed cartridge, but I bet it's doable.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah, I might just stick with the PS90, I been getting a cannon fetish with large calibers lately though and the 5.7 isn't exactly large.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    By all means try one out, you might decide you need it..... If you do not want to reload then its not a deal breaker, just makes it tougher. But this is true on ANY of the “boutique” AR rounds, not just the big bores.

I have tons of brass and enjoy the reloading so it’s not much of an issue for now. I love the look on people’s faces when they shoot the Beowulf for the first time. The look is part surprise, part joy, part fear. Anytime we bring it out, strangers want to try it. We typically will bring an extra box or two just for guest shooters. With that in mind I would go broke feeding it factory ammo.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know a Guy that used to say h used the Beowulf on hogs and did great and that he would usually kill about 3 or 4 a night. He says he almost always got one shot drops. He said the other day that he went back to shooting his 556 AR again because of ammo cost but that he still takes it out from time to time. Keep in mind I never have gone hunting with him so he may be exaggerating on the number of kills to shots or the extent of the damage bit I have no reason to dout him.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I know a Guy that used to say h used the Beowulf on hogs and did great and that he would usually kill about 3 or 4 a night. He says he almost always got one shot drops. He said the other day that he went back to shooting his 556 AR again because of ammo cost but that he still takes it out from time to time. Keep in mind I never have gone hunting with him so he may be exaggerating on the number of kills to shots or the extent of the damage bit I have no reason to dout him.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Every hog shot with mine was a one shot drop. Even the shots with terrible placement.

Top Bottom