• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fal777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Was looking at some AR 223 chambered barrels and have seen some offered in 14.5 " and less barrel length. As well as Blackout 300 down to 8"
    Understand about Pistol "type ARs" but was under impression had to have ATF stamp or some such for that as well.
    Always thought to be legal barrel length was 16"minimum, with the measurement determined by the barrel itself.

Would appreciate being set straight

Thanks

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you're building a pistol, then you can put on a short barrel. For it to be a pistol, you can't install a stock or a vertical foregrip. Spring tube only and I believe angled foregrips are ok.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    The 16" rule is for rifles - pistols can be any length, but no one goes shorter than 8" usually because of the twist rates and stabilization concerns. You only need a tax stamp for an SBR (short barreled rifle), not for a pistol.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Was looking at some AR 223 chambered barrels and have seen some offered in 14.5 " and less barrel length. As well as Blackout 300 down to 8"
    Understand about Pistol "type ARs" but was under impression had to have ATF stamp or some such for that as well.
    Always thought to be legal barrel length was 16"minimum, with the measurement determined by the barrel itself.

Would appreciate being set straight

Thanks
    There is an exception though. You can have a barrel less than 16" on a rifle if you have a flash hider that is welded on and comes to 16". There are many 14.5" barrels with welded on/ pinned flash hiders on rifles that are legal. I have even seen shorter barrels with longer flash hiders to keep them at 16". It seems to be a dying fad though as everybody is SBR'ing their rifles.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    You never know who's at a public range, who knows who at a public range, or who's taking pics to innocently share on thier social media at a public range. Don't shoulder Sig Braces. If you want a SBR you can do whatever you want with, just send in your $200 and do your paperwork like a good, law abiding gun owner and be done with it.

I don't agree with that being the law, but I'd hate to see you wind up with a felony over something as stupid as shouldering a Sig brace. You're also probably better off not talking about ways to break the law on a public forum. Again, I know it's stupid but I'm just trying to keep people out of hot water.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Lots of 14.5" ar's have a pinned muzzle device to bring the barrel to the 16" legal length.

The other option is to build a pistol, or pay the $200 tax stamp

Top Bottom