• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I am looking to purchase a backup rear sight for my AR....I am seeing prices ranging from $21 all the way to $200. I don't really want to spend more than around $50 for one. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, and would love to be pointed in the right direction. Many manufacturers out there, would like to know which ones you all recommend.
    Thanks in advance for the help.....
    Guns International

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Good and cheap: Magpul
    Good and pretty cheap, but bust your budget: Yankee Hill

It's all up from there. I've heard lots of bad stories about Promag sights not staying in place when firing.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    keep an eye on ebay and gunbroker for yhm sights. Most sell for a lot less than ordering them from a retailer.
    Also, if all else fails, you can get a Matech.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i like my mbus, and they are cheap most people dont like the fact they are polymer, but they are plenty sturdy and fold flawlessly

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Magpuls buis are pretty good and if you ever have a problem with them they will replace it. I have a arms 40l on the rear and a mbus on the front.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    never had a problem with my Mbus either.. My buddy has $250 worth of iron sights on his rifle... it has not made him a better shooter and I have yet to melt off or break off any of my multiple mag-pul sights.

my two cents.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Awesome....to be honest, the polymer sights concern me a little. but, I have read nothing but good things about them....and gotta admit, the price is right. I found the MBUS set...front,rear....for $49....that is less than Midway USA wants for just the rear......think I might order those.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Promag anything is fail.
    I have a ton of promag 30 round magazines. Never had a single issue with any of them.
    Does somethin happen to their mags that I dont know about?
    And +1 on the promag rear sight, I have one and its knida weak. It aint firm enough and the knobs are easy to turn. I have to mark the windage knob so I could keep it set. Im getting a yankee hill like Cody said. This gun is also getting a Aimpoint Red Dot.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I have no problem with the rear sight that is in the aft of the carrying handle of my M4 which it was manufactured with. I have a sight that I can stick on if the carrying handle is removed but it is seldom taken off unless for the scope. The original sight mentioned works nice for the .223/5.56 shooting and .22LR with Jonathan A, Whazzizname's .22 conversion.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a ton of promag 30 round magazines. Never had a single issue with any of them.
    Does somethin happen to their mags that I dont know about?
    And +1 on the promag rear sight, I have one and its knida weak. It aint firm enough and the knobs are easy to turn. I have to mark the windage knob so I could keep it set. Im getting a yankee hill like Cody said. This gun is also getting a Aimpoint Red Dot.

Hmm, all I hear about their mags is reliability issues left and right. I'll stick to GI or Magpul (I only have one GI mag out of a dozen)...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'll add another vote for the Magpul sights. I have them on one of my ARs and like them. The only complaint I can give them is they don't lay very flat. Depending on your mount and optic, they may have a little trouble fitting underneath. To get good backup sights that lay really flat, you are back in the $200 range. If you're using an unmagnified red dot, fixed sights would work fine and keep costs down.

On the Promag subject: they are very hit or miss. I've got some Promag P225 magazines just because originals are so expensive. They work great, but then again single stack mags aren't a high tech part these days. I'd stay away from their AR accessories because there are so many other options out there, but it's all fine for just casual plinking of course.

Top Bottom