Guns International

AR Lightweight Budget Build Challenge: See my results!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was I successful in my light weight budget build?

• You did a-okay son, yes you did.

Votes: 8 61.5%
    • No, I would have done this different (explain what you would have done differently).

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    So earlier this week I had a spare receiver, LPK, and I felt like doing a "challenge" build throughout the week. I wanted to build a complete 16" AR-15, with an LPVO+mount, that weighed 7 pounds or LESS all inclusive (bolt, lower, upper, stock, optic + mount) for under $1000.

The lightest budget friendly AR I could find on the market was the M&P 15. It's a standard setup featuring an adjustable stock, and colt-style handguard. It weighs in at 6.7 pounds per the manufacturer website. That's without optic or mount, just iron sights. MSRP is $812 per S&W's website. Here's that rifle below.
    MP_15.jpg

Additional criteria:
    - No skeletonized parts (bolt, handguard, stock, grip, etc). I'm sure I could have shaved another half pound off by skeletonizing everything but that would have increased cost by a LOT going over my budget, and also I am not a fan of running things like a skeletonized bolt, or handguard. Sorry, just my preference, I don't trust the durability. Been to too many carbine classes where someone was out of the game after an hour because their skeletonized handguard cracked under normal course usage.
    - No pencil barrels. This could have saved me another 7-9 ounces of weight probably, but again, I am not a fan of pencil barrels due to your POI shifting greatly after moderate use (several MOA from my experience after 2 mags).
    - No super short or non-MLOK handguards . I'm a tall guy, and I like to have a longer handguard to get a proper c-clamp grip. So can't do short handguards. I also prefer MLOK due to the vast amount of accessories.

If I had used skeletonized parts, short handguard (below 12"), and a pencil barrel, I am sure I could have gotten under 6 pounds with optic (probably 5.5 - 5.8 area). But probably would have spent another $500+ easily. But I digress.

My build details below. With each part I weighed them separately on my compact kitchen scale, and tried to round off to the closest hundredths of an ounce.
    1. Completed Lower - Magpul Fixed MOE stock ($30/9.5 ounces), PSA stripped lower ($50, 8.8 ounces), CMMG AR15 LPK w/o FCG ($15, 1.25 ounces), Fostech Binary Sport Trigger ($260/3.6 ounces), Milspec pistrol grip w/hardware ($5, 2.5 ounces), Guntec Carbine buffer kit with tube, carbine spring, and carbine buffer ($29.99, 6.5 ounces).
      Total Lower weight/costs: $390 / 32.15 ounces or 2.0 pounds

2. Completed Upper - United Defense BCG FA profile ($60, 9.2 ounces), APF Armory 5.56 NATO 16" barrel 1/7 twist ($240, 27 ounces), Davidson Defense 15" Slim profile MLOK handguard with barrel nut ($50, 15 ounces), Recoil Technologies Micro Low-Profile gas block kit with tube ($18, 3.4 ounces), Strike Industries LINK handstop ($12, 1.4 ounces). Various pins + dust cover ($5, 1.0 ounces). I got a free ambi-charging handle from Delta Tactical for ordering the BCG and handguard in the same order, but I'll add $10 and 2 ounces for that as well to make it more realistic.
      Total Upper weight/costs: $395/ 59.0oz or 3.68 pounds

3. Optic setup - Vortex Crossfire ll 1-4x24 LPVO ($160, 14.8 ounces), UTG 30mm Quick Detach Rings ($29, 2.4 ounces)
      Total Optic Setup weight/costs: $189 / 17.2oz or 1.08 pounds

Rifle total Weight/Costs: $974.00 / 108.35 ounces or 6.77 pounds

Now just to sanity check myself, I weighed the complete rifle on my scale with a single empty magazine inserted. I got almost 7 pounds on the dot. Seeing as your average 30 round plastic mag weighs around 3-3.5 ounces, I'd say the total weight was well within the margin of accuracy you can expect from a kitchen scale.
    light_weight.jpg

Complete rifle:
    AR_Light_Build.jpg

It's so light, I can actually swing it like a baseball bat when I run dry. :laughing:
    ARJ Defense ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    - No pencil barrels. This could have saved me another 7-9 ounces of weight probably, but again, I am not a fan of pencil barrels due to your POI shifting greatly after moderate use (several MOA from my experience after 2 mags).

A properly made barrel should not do that. The group size will open up some, but the POI should not change. Both Faxon and Ballistic Advantage know how to do it right.

I'm kinda iffy on the Guntec stuff, but if it runs, you did ok.

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    A properly made barrel should not do that. The group size will open up some, but the POI should not change. Both Faxon and Ballistic Advantage know how to do it right.

Yeah I’ve seen the Faxon stuff in action in real life and saw people having problems. Very wide groups, picky on ammo. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I might be more open to it. So personally I stay away but YMMV.

Here’s a classic thread on m4carbine.net where people were getting mixed results (some good admittedly but a lot of bad).

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If I'm going light weight - I certainly wouldn't be limiting to the criteria listed - it handicaps you way too much. As Maverick pointed out, a pencil barrel isn't going to go crazy. Not to mention you have to keep in mind the role of the rifle.

If you're looking for a general purpose / duty / go to war rifle - certain parts you probably want beefier than ultralight stuff will get you.

Will a pencil barrel be great for suppressive fire? I guess it depends. Spray & pray mag dumping will cause your groups to open up a lot, sure. But that's not what that barrel was intended for. Even hot, hitting a man size target at a reasonable engagement distance shouldn't be an issue - especially with the "accuracy by volume" approach.

Also - "Budget" and "Light weight" don't normally walk hand in hand, so one must make some allowances if you want really light weight.

To that end:

I'd start with the KE Arms monolithic lower, and just to keep costs down a bit more - I'm going with the basic mil-spec outfitted complete lower over the WWSD2020 model.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...er-receivers-mil-spec-polymer-prod132661.aspx - $149 - weighs 1.75lbs approximately

Then I'd go with the LUTH-AR "Lo Drag" upper - no brass deflector, no forward assist. $70

Faxon pencil barrel $178

YHM low pro gas block $15

LUTH-AR carbine stainless steel gas tube $12

Here's where we get expensive, the Faxon carbon fiber handguard - 13 inch, weighs like, 6 ounces - $322

Then a lil' Brownell's house-brand light weight BCG for $145 current price

Another LUTH-AR product - a vanilla charging handle for $19

All total you should wind up with a rifle well under 7lb - probably a lot closer to 6 thanks to the slimmer upper receiver, carbon fiber handguard, pencil barrel and lightweight BCG.

Total before tax and transfer to an FFL - $910.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Seeing as Radical Firearms is located around Sugar Land why buy it from AIM Surplus? Guy I worked with son worked at Radical Firearms & Primary Arms he said Radical's guns were pretty much crap & being returned for repairs.
    Nah, they have been fine. They functioned fine for me and passed inspection. At that price point the company I stay away from is delton

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What about optic and mount? I’m already close to 6 pounds (almost in the 5s)without optic and I didn’t have to sacrifice with a pencil barrel.

Personally I'd go with an LVPO on a Vortex mount - mount runs about $70 - the scope, I like the Redfield duplex reticle Rebel 1-6. Inexpensive, good glass for a budget optic. IIRC the scope ran about $150. That same mount / optic didn't overpower my 11.5 inch AR.

Another option could be a Vortex prism 1X with the etched, illuminated reticle if you don't mind prism sights and don't want magnification.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Including the optic while trying to stay under 1k ensures either the gun is terrible, or the optic and mount is terrible.

A good AR will be about 8-900, maybe 700 if you are lucky. A good mount will be about 70-100. Building won't save you much unless you have some parts on hand already.

100-200 is not going to get you a good LPVO

I'll go a step further and say a basic AR with irons, plus a good sling and light. Then save up for an optic. A good LPVO, red dot, or prism.

Eta, good luck with your optic. I've "broken" 3 of them before i gave up on it

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Including the optic while trying to stay under 1k ensures either the gun is terrible, or the optic and mount is terrible.

A good AR will be about 8-900, maybe 700 if you are lucky. A good mount will be about 70-100. Building won't save you much unless you have some parts on hand already.

100-200 is not going to get you a good LPVO

I'll go a step further and say a basic AR with irons, plus a good sling and light. Then save up for an optic. A good LPVO, red dot, or prism.

Eta, good luck with your optic. I've "broken" 3 of them before i gave up on it
    I’ll let you know how it goes. Going to sight it in this week, and I am going to fit a sling, and take it to my 2-day rifle class in November. Wish me luck. :laughing:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’ll let you know how it goes. Going to sight it in this week, and I am going to fit a sling, and take it to my 2-day rifle class in November. Wish me luck. :laughing:
    Good luck. It's one thing if something is obviously bad out of the box, but it really sucks when the thing goes tits up in a class.

Huh. Optic seems off a few inches. NBD, aaannd the windage has no clicks... And the elevation is seized up. And there goes the entire brightness knob...

Vortex sent me a new one, windage was seized up, as was the eye piece. Third one the magnification ring would easily spin and wouldn't adjust the magnification (stuck somewhere around 2.5-3x)

Going to pre-empt your next thread; get a trijicon ACOG. ;)

Top Bottom