• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Runner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I want to build myself an ar-9 pistol with a KAK brace and an 11 inch barrel. I will be building this pistol on a virgin Anderson lower. Is there anything special about Texas that I need to know about before I embark on this build?

Btw, first post so howdy from Fort Worth!!!
    Capitol Armory ad

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Howdy from San Antonio. And no you don't need anything special as long as the lower was registered as a pistol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Welcome! "Transferred" is the proper term if I'm not mistaken if it's from an FFL. I bought my lower from an individual (close friend) and no paperwork was involved. It was new and had never been built as a rifle or pistol when I got it. It was transferred to him from his FFL as an "other". Enjoy the build.

sas331

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    houston
    All lowers are sold as "other" so you can build a rifle or pistol. Even if you buy an ar pistol you can convert it to rifle and back to pistol and still be legal.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    All lowers are sold as "other" so you can build a rifle or pistol. Even if you buy an ar pistol you can convert it to rifle and back to pistol and still be legal.
    Correct and thank you.

I have a bolt action in my collection from back before the T/C court decision. Even though it's identical to two others I have, the serial number has a "P" appended to it. The "P" lets me know that it was original papered as a pistol back before "other" was an option. The other two bolt actions have no alpha characters.

Always nice to know that, thanks to T/C, even though I know it was once built into a rifle I can still legally turn it back into a pistol.

More likely, it's another project that I'll wind up leaving to my heirs to complete. :)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?
    Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length. Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 C.F.R. § 479.11; ATF Ruling 2011-4]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If your pistol has a barrel longer than 16", yes.
    If not, you must change the barrel as well but then yes.

Well, I actually knew the answer to the question, but figured the OP might not, due to the fact that he asked the question to begin with.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Texas has a very simple definition:

(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    All lowers are sold as "other" so you can build a rifle or pistol.

No.

They are sold as other because they do not fit the other two choices. Being sold as other does not allow you to build a rifle or pistol. As others said, the lower must be a virgin receiver or previously a handgun.

Top Bottom