• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm looking on midway, and they have a pretty decent deal on an AR upper. The thing is, it has the fixed carry handle. $400 plush shipping for a 16" DPMS 1 in 9 twist.

I, eventually, want to be able to put some optics on it (ie, a flattop). As I'm aware, you can just switch out a stripped upper reciever, buy whatever detachable site, scope and slap it on.

1. How hard is this to do?
    2. Do I need any tools and any parts?

Thanks, This is my first AR.
    Military Camp

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I would probably just buy this one and leave it alone... then buy another AR or parts to build another later with flat top, chrome lined barrel, etc...

CDDN's latest catalog has two CMMG complete rifles for $770 and $750... the carbine is $770 and is a flat top with a removable carry handle and has their WASP coating, also comes with 1 30 rd mag, and 10 Thermold 20 rd mags. The $750 is a mid length and has the same stuff... heavy barreled.

I think something like that would be a good deal considering if you buy the DPMS one you have no chrome lining, no mag, no lower receiver, no LPK, no butt stock, etc...

Just a thought or three...

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I have never like the look of a scope mounted on a fixed carry handle and I don't plan on ever having one like that.

But i would say just buy one that has a removable, so if you wanted to use the carry handle and no optics you could, and when you finally get a Eotech or Aimpoint, you can easily remove that handle and you are set to go.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but the problem is that he's got a deal on an A2 style upper.

If it's a good deal, go for it and use the mount I posted. Who cares how it looks, as long as it performs.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Yeah, but the problem is that he's got a deal on an A2 style upper.

If it's a good deal, go for it and use the mount I posted. Who cares how it looks, as long as it performs.

If he doesn't have a lower yet it would remain to see how much of a "deal" the rifle ends up being once complete... If it had the chrome lining I would have been interested at $400.

I am looking at a BCM 20" for $435 but it doesn't have rear sight, hand guard, BCG, or charging handle... but it is chrome lined and has a cooler sounding barrel steel. My 16" is still on order from another company.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm also looking at the BCM, but that is going to be 600 with shipping and bolt carrier group ect. plus a rear sight.

I'm not against spending money on good stuff, but I'm not against taking a look at something that looks like a very good deal.

What exactly do you mean by "co-witness." It looks like the scope blocks the iron sights. Thanks.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    DSA has a good deal on uppers. Here's a link to one of their deals. They have others. This comes without the bcg and charging handle which are another$128 or so.

You should consider these possibilities before making a decision. This one for $265 (parked), others for $275 (nitride treated) and $300 (midlength) and chrome lined one for $325.

DSAZM4 A3 Upper Rcr With 16" Barrel *PARKED* M4-DSZM4CBUPARK-D S Arms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What exactly do you mean by "co-witness." It looks like the scope blocks the iron sights. Thanks.

That mount isn't for a scope, it's for a sight like an Aimpoint, which doesn't have any magnification. If your optics fail, you can use your iron sights instantly. Basically, it means that if you turn the optic on and look through your sights, you'll have a sight picture from both at the same time.

It makes zeroing your optic of choice a lot easier, but doesn't really work with anything that has magnification. If you're planning on using a scope, that's not the best mount. There is a mount that doesn't move the optic forward and down and just lets you mount on top of your carry handle, but that's a little high off the receiver. I don't really see you putting a scope on a 16" rifle anyway; something like an Aimpoint would fit that kind of rifle much better, IMO.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I understand. Thanks. I like those Aimpoints, though I wanted to be able to use iron sights. (besides, Aimpoints are out of the buget right now : ) ).

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Check out the red dots on Primary Arms (a Texas company). Guys on ARFCOM swear by them. I have one for the AR and it is absolutely great. Also have one of their 4x compact scope that is working well. Neither will break the bank and the only problem is finding them in stock.

My AR is a flattop and the PA red dot has a lower 1/3 co-witness.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    well, took the leap. Bought the upper with a cimping die.

Now all I need is some dies, powder, bullets, brass, sling, magazines, and a caliber conversion kit for my dillon. I've got 1k primers, which will last long enough to find a half way decent load.

: )

thanks for the help.

Top Bottom