• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    if you were going to spend between $800 and $1200 (roughly - give or take) on a .556 AR - what would you buy? what would you avoid?
    Texas SOT

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Personally - I'd stay away from the SIG. It is not an AR, but it is an EBR.

Go with an AR15 variant. No wild about DPMS or Bush Master. I really like my Smith & Wesson M&P15. Stag (which apparently is what my M&P15 is) makes great stuff, Knight Armament ($$$), and COLT are all great too. There are a lot of small shops (SLR15.com for instance) that make great hardware too. Or you can build your own. You can save some money and have the pleasure of knowing every spring and roll pin in your rifle.

The reason to stay away from things like the SIG is simply parts availabilty. While I love my SCAR17 - there are no parts yet and the aftermarket is still developing. For my M4 I have a complete repair kit with things like gas rings, roll pins, the trigger assembly and bolt. If it breaks down I can have it fixed in a few minutes. My scar? back to FN. A SIG? same deal. And good luck getting magpul or tango down stuff for the sig.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    How about the original M16/AR15...

Colt.

Just priced an AR-15A2 Government Model carbine at $1,190...I know where that income tax return is going...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Build one, it will save money and give you more pride in "your" gun.

I think some people would enjoy this, others who would not. Uppers are pretty cheap, good ones can be had for very affordable. A spikes or RR lower.

BCM, S&W, DD upper. Hard to go that wrong.

16" or 14.5" I think Light guns are more fun. 1/9 or a 1/8 twist. It doesn't matter for a fun gun.
    You can modify the gun as you would after the fact.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Colt... Hard to beat the 6720 at that price point.

Bravo Company (BCM) is an awesome rifle under the $1200 mark. LMT, Daniel Defense, and S&W all have models under $1200 that you could bet your life on.

Good luck and let us know what you get!
    -Randy

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    yeah building one really isnt my thing .......and the AR15 - i fired one of those enough during my military service - i'd like something different!

good advice so far -thanks

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    How about the original M16/AR15...

Colt.

Just priced an AR-15A2 Government Model carbine at $1,190...I know where that income tax return is going...

The original is Armalite. :p

But I was going to say - Colt 6920 (great rifle, not thrilled with the 1/7 twist, though - I'd prefer 1/9 or 1/8) a Rock River, or just buy a lower from *name the brand that you can find for the least money at the moment* and throw a BCM midlength upper on it.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    without trying to be a smart ass - shoot it! :)

just a gun to have and burn up some ammo at the range

I just recently purchased a RedXArms (it is a new company and I took a chance... VERY happy I did) ar15 upper, flat top, 16in stainless Fluted bull barrel for 400 bucks to fit on my Rock River lower. they fit together almost seemlessly. It is a tac driver, I love it. it was my first build. I am extatic because I am into it for less than 650.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    The original is Armalite. :p

Yes, ArmaLite was the originator of the AR-15 but Colt bought the rights and produced the weapon. The AR is the highly respected weapons platform is today primarily because of the efforts of Colt. ;)

Top Bottom