• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Like the title suggests I'm looking for some recommendations for a new scope on one of my AR's. This will be replacing a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, I do like the scope for what it is but I'd like to get something with a little more power (ie: 4-12, 6-18, etc). When I started this build it was just a fun project but I have since been upgrading as I could, new trigger should be here any day now so now I am ready to upgrade the glass and I will eventually thread the barrel once I finally submit for a suppressor. It currently has a 24" bull barrel with a 1:9 twist chambered in 5.56 so being that I don't have the greatest eyesight in the world I'd like to get a better scope and see if I can test it a little.

I am looking to stay under $500 even though I'd love a high dollar Leupold or Swarovski. I was debating a Vortex until I actually got to look through one and noticed the glass isn't that great in lower light conditions. Essentially just looking for something in a variable power that goes to at least 12x with decent glass that won't break the bank. Any and all recommendations are apppreciated.

This is the rifle it will be going on

IMG_4281.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I am about to order another Primary Arms. They seem to get good reviews and aren't obscenely expensive.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Just ordered the FFP from primary arms and will be doing a range report tomorrow. Can't beat FFP for $240

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I bought a Super Sniper years ago with great results. Rugged and the glass is nice and clear. The only negative is the amount of glare it has but for a sub $500 piece I cannot complain too much.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'll look into them and I had been considering the Nikon M-223. Not thinking I'm gonna make a tack driver out of it but would love to get consistent hits at 200+ yards. Got a CMC 3.5lb flat trigger coming any day now for it.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    I have a friend (who is a damn good shooter and hunting instructor in AZ) who uses a FFP Primary Arms on his bolt gun and loves it. I have shot it, glass is clean. He has several hundred rounds on it (308) and it is has never failed. It is probably one of the best (if not the best) FFP scopes you can get at that price point.

If my bolt guns were not wearing Burris and Nikon optics I would definitely pick one of these up.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I am seriously debating the PA FFP 4-14x44 now, for the Scope, sun shade, butler creek flip ups, and mount I'm looking at $318.97 before shipping.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a Nikon Coyote Special on one of my ARs and really like it. I got the 3-9x40, but after using it out to 500yrds or so I kinda wish I had gotten the 4-12x40 instead. Kinda hard to tell a prairie dog from a turd at that range on just 9x :laughing:

You can find them for around $300.

Top Bottom