• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    OK so. i am purchasing a lower receiver.
    ready to rock and roll.
    i dont want an SBR, i dont need a pistol.
    im looking for a good 18 inch or 20 inch barrel. standard .223 / 5.56
    what does TGT recomend? and why?
    Texas SOT

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    I don't know much about AR's but I've been researching and would suggest a Bushmaster upper with a CMMG piston conversion.

ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Fort Worth (Currently in Iraq)
    if it's for accuracy, as far as Gas guns, i would say either a noveske or a larue, if youre up for a piston, i've seen POF guns doing pretty respectable, and it's a dedicated piston upper, not a conversion,which is a plus in my book,
    [url]www.pof-usa.com[/URL] , 70 Rockwell Case Hardened 5R barrels, machine gun grade with accuracy, if it's gonna be a high round count gun.

your decision should be based upon what your operational requirements are, are you a tactical guy who runs and guns, or is this a bench gun, the more criteria you're looking to fill, the more youre gonna pay, generally, some guys will pay for a Larue or a Noveske, but some guys are ok with a bushmaster or a dpms, etc

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    MSTN upper with Noveske barrel

Have met wes and seen some examples of his work.

Good guy to deal with and makes great uppers that are sub MOA.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would get a Krieger 1:7.7 5R barrel and go from there. They offer a 5.56 Match chamber that is tighter tolerance that I would consider also.

That would certainly shoot sub-MOA. A good heavy barrel AR will generally shoot 1 MOA at least, and I've seen plenty shoot tighter with reloads centered around 62 - 77 grain SMK's.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you want the best "bang for buck" option, I strongly recommend Bravo Company. Their quality is on par with Colt, and they put the household names like Bushmaster, DPMS, CMMG, etc. to shame. [url]http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/[/URL]

And one of the best places to do web business with... [url]http://www.gandrtactical.com/[/URL]

But yeah, if your budget knows no bounds, Noveske, LaRue, LWRC, POF...all top notch.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmm. well upon review, im thinking 16-18 inch barrel for .223.
    ill probably go with a longer barrel for a larger cartridge later on.
    and the purpose is to ab good quality and fun tacticool gun :)

LonghornAR15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Austin
    Look at a 16" BCM upper with a mid-length gas system. That's what I've got, and this is my first build. I would buy their products even if they weren't as good a deal as they are, you are not sacrificing anything for the low price tag. Paul, the guy who runs the company, seems to have sterling business practices and really care about putting out a quality product. For $700 shipped, I got the upper, handguards, a BCM full auto bolt carrier group(second to none) and a gunfighter charging handle with the medium sized extended latch. It's my favorite gun by far. I just got a 9" omega rail for it, and it is lookin pretty sweet...

Top Bottom