• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I'm looking to get parts for the wife to build her own AR. I'm not much of an AR guy, I can run them fine but have never built one for myself. I'm getting an instructor from one of the local shops to assist her with the build. This isnt quite a "money is no object" project, but I want her to have the most accurate, consistent, stable, and soft shooting rifle that can be built and I'm willing to pay for quality. This will likely be used as her new hunting rifle, she likes to hunt hogs and black bear.

I'm getting a CMMG AR10 lower engraved, which is the only piece I have purchased so far. I'm guessing she will pick either 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmor. I'm leaning towards a 20" Faxon or Criterion barrel and Geissele SSA-E trigger. After that, I'm pretty much open to the rest. I havent even looked at uppers yet. The only other things, I have considereed is getting a 6 position M4 style stock so it can be adjusted to fit her, and a captive spring "silent" recoil buffer. So I'm basically looking for recommendations on the rest of the build: bolt, gas system, muzzle brake, furniture.

Any insights or recommendations will be appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

Reactions: JCC

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    6.5 Creedmore rounds are pricy from what I understand. You will find lots of knowledgable people here for your build. Sounds like you have a really good start and good ideas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I like Geissele, but larue makes a trigger that is every bit as nice as the SSA/SSA-E at less than half the price, and is imho superior in a few aspects, like a pinned diconnector and the flat vs rounded trigger face.

Take the money saved and put it towards a VLTOR A5 receiver extension.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I like Geissele, but larue makes a trigger that is every bit as nice as the SSA/SSA-E at less than half the price, and is imho superior in a few aspects, like a pinned diconnector and the flat vs rounded trigger face.

Take the money saved and put it towards a VLTOR A5 receiver extension.

My most expensive trigger was ~$150
    My LaRue MBT is every bit as good.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Can she handle a 15# or more rifle? Captured spring not really needed. Collapse able stock, get a good one, but adds weight. Do get a good adjustable GB. 168 amax is a good bullet for target and pigs.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Can she handle a 15# or more rifle? Captured spring not really needed. Collapse able stock, get a good one, but adds weight. Do get a good adjustable GB. 168 amax is a good bullet for target and pigs.

We usually put her in a blind or park her under a tree when hunting so not a lot of moving around. She usually shoots 45-70 so used to carrying and shooting heavier stuff.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Since you have a CMMG lower,I'd buy one of their upper receiver's so it will probably match/fit the lower better. X-Caliber makes some great shooting barrels,I have two of them on custom bolt actions and they are very accurate. X-Caliber also guarantees MOA or better if you also buy a bolt from them that will be headspaced to the chamber.
    Large frame AR's are over-gassed by nature,get a good adjustable gas block like one from Superlative Arms. I have them on all six of my AR's since I shoot suppressed,and they are excellent adjustable gas blocks.

Building a Large framed AR can be a real PIA if you don't watch what you buy for parts. Make sure that each part is made for the same style of receiver's that you have,they make several different styles.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If she wants a soft shooting AR10, I'd go with the 6.5 CM. The .308 is a recoil beast IMO. Be careful which parts you use at noted by Txhillbilly. Many parts made by different manufactures are will not work across the brands like with an AR15. And if you go with the 6.5 CM, you need a HP (high pressure) bolt. That's a must with the 6.5 CM. Mine is mostly Aero parts with an ARP barrel and LaRue MBT trigger (2 stage). Shoots .5 MOA.

jdh47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Tennessee Colony, Texas
    Either the 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor would be good. I can recommend a good man in Austin to custom chamber a barrel if you want to go that route. He does all the barrels for the TSRA youth high Power team. He is also a high power competitor, High Master I think. Good Luck.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The only caution about building AR10s is make sure the parts are compatible with other parts. Used to be a big worry was DPMS Compatible or Armalite compatible. Now PSA had different AR10 Generations and some makers are downsizing AR 10s so they are lighter. So check to make sure your parts are compatible.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom