• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Could it possibly be more confusing?

I've got some build stuff on the way. 16" low profile gas block yada yada....
    I want a free float hanguard. Damn the options are limitless!

I don't need a bunch of rails, or any rail for that matter.
    Help me pick a comfortable, heat shielding handguard.

Bench shooting will be top priority. Some off hand close range.
    A mag dump now and then.

Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    See? It's a quandry! So many makes and models of key mod stuff, it's maddening.

I'm leaning towards a houge overmold rifle length. No attachment provisions.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Lots of positive feedbacks in the UTG pro line, relatively inexpensive, made in usa. I prefer the superslim profile (top rail only) and the regular non-keymod is your best bet price wise. Keymod accessories are an awesome idea but you pay 20% more for the rail and the accessories are more too.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I bought a free float front end with rails several years ago; top, bottom, and both sides, all the way back to front. Ninety percent more rails than I'll ever use. If I had a 2" or 3" rail on the end of the handguard on top and bottom, I'd have plenty. All those rails look good but I won't ever use what I got. 'Course then I had to buy rail covers! :green:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I put a quad rail on mine and just cover them with snap on covers by magpul

That way, I don't have anything but a smooth surface, but if I need to I can go all tactical

I want to put a free floater on my 20"

XTpanel.jpg

Last edited:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I have this one from MI on a 556 and I love it. Light weight and feels nice but I can add rails where needed without taking it off. The vents let it cool off.

Midwest Industries: Gen2 SS-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard

I have two of these on two guns that have never been fired (12" and 7"). They are super light. Several people now have told me that the tabs on the bottom eventually meet flat and the fingers on the back eventually snap off with repeated removal cycles of the tube.

To me, UTG offers a similar weight for much less $$.

dubbleA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I have big hands, didn't want or need a bunch of rail but wanted the suppressor hidden under the hand guard on this SBR so I went with a JP. It's clean other that the removable AFG.

300BOSBR_zpsbbc81369.jpg

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Another vote for the UTG Pro's. Much different than some of the chinese crap they've put out in the past. I have the original (non keymod) version and it was a great deal and with some MI panels, very comfortable. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Another vote for the UTG Pro's. Much different than some of the chinese crap they've put out in the past. I have the original (non keymod) version and it was a great deal and with some MI panels, very comfortable. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I've got one of those and it's stamped Made in USA

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I think the Geissele SMR hand guards are some of the best in the business. They've got a HUGE Ti barrel nut, extremely precise fit, they're comfortable and they are pretty much bomb proof.

Here's my order of preferred hand guards...

1. Mega MKM (requires their upper though so it doesn't really count. It's EXTREMELY comfortable and robust).
    2. Geissele SMR.
    3. Primary Weapon Systems.
    4. Knights Armament.
    5. Wilson Combat T.R.I.M (most comfortable rail I've used other than the MKM.

Last edited:

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    I have the Midwest Industries 15" keymod hand guard on my 16" upper and it works wonderfully.

Midwest Industries: SSK-KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard

Anger... Several people now have told me that the tabs on the bottom eventually meet flat and the fingers on the back eventually snap off with repeated removal cycles of the tube.

Never had a problem with mine, don't understand the repeated removal, but the tabs are only to help align the handguard, you can align the rails on the receiver to the handguard. Mine have never broken, but I don't pry the handguard off either. I don't have a clue what the tabs eventually meet flat means, the MI handguard is the best one I've used.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom