• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    This has probably been discussed numerous times however:

I am going to buy an AR15 even though I am not a fan, I am looking at the following list of AR's and need an opinion on which one is the best, the price on all of them are about the same.

Charles Daly .556 with 24" SS Barrel.
    Bushmaster Varminter Special SS Barrel.
    S&W with 20" or 24" SS Barrel.
    Stag Arms with 20" or 24" SS Barrel.
    Olympic Arms with 20" or 24" SS Barrel.

All are .556 Cal. not a standard .223.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I wound not hesitate to buy the S&W, stag or BM. My Olympic works great. I have two buddies who have them and they had feeding issues. The CD... Well you are obviously getting a target gun and I just don't know about the quality.
    Since you admit you don't like the AR15 I would suggest you not buy one. A nice 5.56 bolt gun will cost the same and out shoot the AR.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I wound not hesitate to buy the S&W, stag or BM. My Olympic works great. I have two buddies who have them and they had feeding issues. The CD... Well you are obviously getting a target gun and I just don't know about the quality.
    Since you admit you don't like the AR15 I would suggest you not buy one. A nice 5.56 bolt gun will cost the same and out shoot the AR.

I would have to agree with the above if you're shootin' varmits. A nice bolt gun will definitely out shoot the AR 90% of the time......AND.....you can load heavier (read: longer) bullets in a bolt gun without being restricted to a magazine length and work toward a better bullet and more accuracy. I would go for a 1 in 7 twist to stabilize the longer (heavier) bullets as in from .75 grain and up. I have some super accurate bullets (Hornady A-Max 75 gr.) that I cannot load to work in my AR unless I want it for a single shot. Just some thoughts.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of an AR for varmint hunting. I have a 20" upper that will shoot sub MOA, so the bolt actions have little to offer there. The only way you will could tell a bolt gun is more accurate then a good AR is in a vise shooting paper. The reason I ask what will be the primary use is, 1) a 24" barrel at hunting ranges gives you no advantage over a 18 to 20" and 2) if your wanting a dual role varmint/SHTF rifle I'd have to say none of the above.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I wouldn't talk someone out of anything they wanted.............but you stated you weren't a fan. Hell, just buy both a bolt gun and an AR, decide which one you like and sell the other!

Edit to add: I've got an AR that shoots MOA or better (when I can do my part) but I wished I had a bolt gun also.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I wouldn't talk someone out of anything they wanted.............but you stated you weren't a fan. Hell, just buy both a bolt gun and an AR, decide which one you like and sell the other!

Edit to add: I've got an AR that shoots MOA or better (when I can do my part) but I wished I had a bolt gun also.

I have a .243 bolt action I use, decided to try an AR15 just to see if they are what everyone claims they are.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of an AR for varmint hunting. I have a 20" upper that will shoot sub MOA, so the bolt actions have little to offer there. The only way you will could tell a bolt gun is more accurate then a good AR is in a vise shooting paper. The reason I ask what will be the primary use is, 1) a 24" barrel at hunting ranges gives you no advantage over a 18 to 20" and 2) if your wanting a dual role varmint/SHTF rifle I'd have to say none of the above.

What would you recommend for a varmint/SHTF rifle?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    A 20" or even a 16" barrel on an AR will give very good accuracy if you've got a good brand and especially a good trigger (and an excellent trigger can be installed to really improve accuracy if needed). If I already had the .243 bolt gun I'd probably buy the AR if I were you.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    What would you recommend for a varmint/SHTF rifle?

This is what I have done. For my SHTF rifle I have a Colt 6920. For a combo hunt/SHTF rifle I have a RRA Varmint A4 18". I chose an 18" over the longer barrels for 2 reasons.

1 for the less weight and maneuverability in the bush/field.

2 the longer barrels don't seem to give the .223 any real advantage. Yes it may in a long shot but a .223 isn't a long range round anyway.

As a responsible hunter you must take ethical kill shots. Could you shoot a yote at 5 or 600 yards with a .223? Probably. But should you take the shot??? I hunt large plots and never get a shot past 400 yards. Most are inside 200 yards and that's pushing it. Even if it is just a yote, you have a responsibility to kill it humanely.

So an 18" will do fine at hunting ranges and is short enough to be a SHTF battle rifle too. I have a 20" upper that I swap out, but can't see the extra 2" giving me anymore range. Now the 20" is more accurate at 200 yards, but I think it's because its a better barrel altogether.

I really like RRA lowers. Their 2 stage trigger is great IMO and a great base for other uppers.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    Now that's dedication.

I have heard the "how great they are stories" for years, I know they were callled "Jam-O-Matics when introduced in 'nam, I lost some relatives in 'nam due to the junk M-16's that were issued first. I realize the AR15 platform has been improved for the civilian market but I have to see it myself. For long distance? I am in the process of having a .338 Lapua built, reaching out and touching something will not be a problem.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Folks seem to like trashing Bushmasters but my 10 year old Bushy gave me the best match scores of my life at 200 and 600 yards. The rifle has NEVER malfunctioned. Believe what you want but my Bushy will shoot with my Colt Hbar any day!

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    having a .338 Lapua built, reaching out and touching something will not be a problem.

Holy crap! A rifle of that caliber is in a class all by itself! Maybe a 300 Win mag will approach it but it's a distant second.

Regarding the AR-15. The issues that you referenced happened so long ago that most AR-15 shooters weren't even born when that governmental circle jerk happened. Fast forward several decades and you will find the AR an accurate and reliable rifle.

Flash

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I have an M&P15. Great rifle and very accurate. Only thing I'll be changing out is the barrel for a faster twist so I can shoot heavier bullets.
    I also plan to build a 11.5 this summer.

The whole vietnam thing is so over done. Run the rifle wet with a good lube - Breakfree/CLP, Slip2K, Mobil1, whatever. Don't grease it. Buy a flat top, skip the whole carry handle thing. Swap the stock M16 style grip with a Magpul MOE, the feel is a billion times more comfortable.

It's a battle rifle - skip the 2 stage trigger. Get the stock trigger polished by a pro with a good preputation.

Beyond all that - its a damn fine rifle with a huge aftermarket making parts, accessories and upgrades easy to come buy.

It is one of my GTH rifles. The other is the SCAR. Doubt I'll be putting any Russian crap in my gun locker. But an FAL.....maybe.

Top Bottom