• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Folks seem to like trashing Bushmasters but my 10 year old Bushy gave me the best match scores of my life at 200 and 600 yards. The rifle has NEVER malfunctioned. Believe what you want but my Bushy will shoot with my Colt Hbar any day!

Flash

You know that saying: "They don't make 'em like they used to." Today's BM's have shoddy QC. Just ask the Mods and Members who work at ranges and gun shops.

For the OP, out of your list, I'd go S&W.
    Gun Zone Deals

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You know that saying: "They don't make 'em like they used to." Today's BM's have shoddy QC. Just ask the Mods and Members who work at ranges and gun shops.

For the OP, out of your list, I'd go S&W.

+1. A few years ago? Yeah, Bushmaster was fine. Today's another story.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why are you getting the 556 chamber rather than the .223? Just curious.

A 5.56 is essentially the same as a .223. A barrel rated for 5.56 can shoot both, but a barrel rated for .223 can only shoot .223 because a 5.56 cartridge creates more chamber pressure. If you buy an AR, you DEFINITELY want to get one with a 5.56-capable barrel.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a S&W with a 16-inch 1:9 barrel. It's a great gun, and you can't go wrong getting the long-barrel version. A 20-inch one is going to be really heavy at the front. BTW, make sure it has a floating handguard, whatever you end up getting. If you want to reach out and touch something with it at extreme ranges, you want all the accuracy enhancements you can get.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The original M 16 was a victim of bureaucrat thinking (or lack thereof). It was engineered for one powder and then the military changed powder. They actually told the troops the gun NEVER needed cleaning! There was no cleaning kit included. The barrel was not chrome lined to save money. Once the brass got enough troops killed they fixed the problems that they had created. And the M 16 rolls on today. Also there is no reason that the original M 16 could not have been built with the gas piston system that is so popular today. Russia was using it in the '40s.
    Its the same thinking that sent the British off to WWII with the same bolt action rifles they used in WWI. If they had a select fire rifle, they would waste ammo.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A 5.56 is essentially the same as a .223. A barrel rated for 5.56 can shoot both, but a barrel rated for .223 can only shoot .223 because a 5.56 cartridge creates more chamber pressure. If you buy an AR, you DEFINITELY want to get one with a 5.56-capable barrel.

The 5.56mm chamber has slightly different dimensions. One reason a person would use a .223 chamber instead is if they're building for accuracy. .223 gives you more options for bullet weight and the tighter chamber gives better accuracy potential.

The original M 16 was a victim of bureaucrat thinking (or lack thereof). It was engineered for one powder and then the military changed powder. They actually told the troops the gun NEVER needed cleaning! There was no cleaning kit included. The barrel was not chrome lined to save money. Once the brass got enough troops killed they fixed the problems that they had created. And the M 16 rolls on today. Also there is no reason that the original M 16 could not have been built with the gas piston system that is so popular today. Russia was using it in the '40s.
    Its the same thinking that sent the British off to WWII with the same bolt action rifles they used in WWI. If they had a select fire rifle, they would waste ammo.

There still is no reason for the M16 to go piston. The only rifles that can benefit from a relocated piston are those that are fired full-auto with suppressors and very short barrels.

The piston system does nothing to improve reliability and depending on whose kit you're using can actually degrade it. It also decreases the accuracy of the platform. I forget which country it was, but they actually rejected the HK417 because it wasn't accurate enough to use as a DMR. Throw a decent barrel on an AR platform rifle that has the same gas system Stoner designed and you have something as accurate as any bolt action out there (provided you run good ammo, too). It's rifles with pistons that run parallel to the barrel take tuning to run even close to that accurately, and usually can't reach the same bar.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom