• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    “The EPR replaces the lead slug with a copper slug,”

Well that ought to be so very cost effective. Not! Expensive as hell is more like it. As if the price of copper wasn't high enough already and new construction crime isn't a problem. Let's just forget sequestration and the whole little budget problem too. :rolleyes:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Our environmental military is going to get us invaded. And it will be a short war and a long occupation.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I forget... where does lead come from? Oh yeah... the ground... so how did it become such a hazard to put it back in the ground? I guess it's kinda' like exhaling CO2... healthy people do that but it makes the oceans rise.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    They don't much expand, they maintain integrity and tumble. Military bullets are not really supposed to kill. We still fight from a 1930's mindset.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    from the article
    Green bullets, like the M855A1, have been touted for their enhanced performance standards, such as better hard-target penetration, more consistent performance against soft targets and significantly increased distances of these effects.

In 2010, the Army switched to the greener 5.56 mm M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round.

Ads by Google

“The EPR replaces the lead slug with a copper slug,” said Lt. Col. Phil Clark, product manager for small caliber ammunition in the Program Executive Officer Ammunition.

I missed the memo; why are we opposed to this?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I forget... where does lead come from? Oh yeah... the ground... so how did it become such a hazard to put it back in the ground? I guess it's kinda' like exhaling CO2... healthy people do that but it makes the oceans rise.
    Lead is a highly toxic material. It IS hazardous to put back in the ground.

People who work at gun ranges wear respirators and Personal Protective Equipment when working around the lead.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    They don't much expand, they maintain integrity and tumble. Military bullets are not really supposed to kill. We still fight from a 1930's mindset.

I had forgotten about this, I did not think they would expand as well though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's also one way to make them more expensive for the average Joe to buy.
    One way to cut down on ammo purchases.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    from the article

I missed the memo; why are we opposed to this?

Increased cost of ammunition for no improvement in effectiveness.

Base Metals Investment, Prices and Stocks - InvestmentMine
    (I just picked a tool/site, don't know which if any is a "gold standard". Post it if you have it)
    Lead is under $1/lb while copper is over $3/lb.

Officials also expect a similar “greening” to occur with the 7.62 mm version. However, reports from after the M855A1 ammo came out cast some doubts on green bullet performance.

Fox News reported that Army officials conceded that the M855A1 “has not been providing the ‘stopping power’ the user would like at engagement ranges less than 150 yards” in a 2005 briefing.

Ballistic experts also noted that the green M855A1 would not be substantially more deadly than its lead predecessor.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Not sure how much this would impact lead prices. Depends on the volume compared to the overall market I guess.

This could be good news to those who mold their own ammo and already have plenty of brass.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Could have sworn the article said that the rounds seemed to be LESS effective inside 150 yrds.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Could have sworn the article said that the rounds seemed to be LESS effective inside 150 yrds.

Yep. The new touchy feeling Army. I'm a bit more of an enviro than most gun guys but anything that's going to make a soldier less lethal on the battlefield should be investigated by Congress.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just had a WTF moment.

Maybe I'm mistaken but the rounds are replacing the M855 rounds, correct?

Things may have changed since I was in but as I recall 99% of the ammo we fired at the range was M193. The M855 was generally reserved for shooting people as I expect will be the same with the M855A1 rounds.

So we will continue to blast the same amount of lead in to American soil while spending more money to make sure we don't pollute craplakistan all the while making the rounds LESS effective when the enemy is close.

Am I getting this right?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The M855A1 has more penetration, with the same terminal ballistics as M855. Personally, IMO M855 kinda sucks.

I'll Take M193, as my targets probably won't be wearing armor.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why are people just now writing articles about this? The switch is already well under way, which is why "green tip" was suddenly everywhere about a year and a half ago. This goes back before that, though.

Evolution of the M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round | Article | The United States Army

No, they were saying the Army has admitted that the M855 (still has lead) was not terribly impressive inside 150 yards. Not surprising; the reason we adopted it is because our European NATO allies who had actually signed the Hague Conventions (there is zero reason for US forces NOT to be using expanding bullets) saw M193's consistent fragmentation in Vietnam and had visions of war crimes trials in their future if they adopted it.

Top Bottom