ARJ Defense ad

ARs to avoid, which brands are not worth the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Mexican_troll_face_by_mariodude12312-d5mtl9z.png

This thread is not officially an ARFcom takeoff.
    Target Sports

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Bcm is good stuff. But everything else isn't shit. Just some shitty brands are shit.

Agreed. I certainly wasn't talking smack about BCM and believe you get good product for the coin but the fanboi-fu is strong.
    And as Jakashh mentioned, it may have been M4C I was thinking of.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    LOL ... love it when old threads pop up.

But ...

After 9 months with a Black Rain Ordinance in 308, my DPMS has by far been more reliable.

I've sent the BRO back once and had a gunsmith buddy tweak it twice in order to get it run a variety of loads.
    Finally installed an adjustable gas block and have to adjust depending upon which loads I run.

The DPMS just runs ... it'll eat anything its fed ... 175g Sierra Matchking to 200g RTBA subsonic.
    I installed an AR Gold trigger and an ACOG ... it is a sweet running rig.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Here's my list:

AR-15 brands that I avoid:

Windham Weaponry (overpriced for what they are)
    Rguns (Self-explanatory)
    DSA (See Rguns)
    DPMS (I actually have a DPMS - a .22 upper and it's great - their 5.56/.223 offerings? No)
    Bushmaster (Saw a bolt with <1000 fail in real life, seen more on the net)
    Yankee Hill (lowers and uppers still 6061, bad barrels)
    Rock River (they feel like they were made from the rejects at the CMT shop)
    Adams Arms (can't do piston)
    Ruger (they should stick to SAA revolvers and rimfire)
    Armalite (A name means nothing, your rifles are crap)
    Del-Ton (Better than DPMS for the price but just BARELY)
    Olympic Arms (be prepared to spend more time diagnosing what's wrong with your rifle than shooting it)
    Doublestar (Cool rollmark and some neat looking muzzle devices but that's about it)
    Core15 (overpriced DPMS)
    S&W (Love their wheelguns - they have no right to make a semi-auto of any kind)
    CMMG (Not as bad as others would lead you to believe, but not good enough for me)
    Anderson (claims to make the world's only lube-free AR, yeah right)
    Spike's (because the owner is a poor businessman who makes me question his business ethics)
    LWRC (ovepriced with only mediocre quality)
    KAC (Good weapons, but heavy and not worth the asking price)

Anything with a 4140 barrel, anything without a chromed or SBNed barrel, anything with an 8620 bolt, anything made with 6061 receivers, anything with zombie anything on it, polymer lowers/uppers...

My favorite AR brands:
    Daniel Defense
    BCM
    AAC
    Noveske
    LaRue
    Colt
    SIG
    PSA (yes, Palmetto State Armory)

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    AR-15 brands that I avoid:

Holy crap, that's a massive list! Using tact and being respectful to a fellow member, may I ask if these are your personal experiences? I've owned and/or fired a lot of these products and for many years, bought, shot and swapped AR-15 rifles.

I can't agree with your list from my own experience. I've even had some obscure brands like "EA" and "Gun Smoke Enterprises" and wouldn't even put those odd balls on a shxt list.

I'll quote myself from my post early in this thread. This is as close to my personal experience as I can put into words.

"Here's what I personally observed.

I have NEVER had a malfunction on ANY AR-15 rifle that wasn't tied directly to ammunition and particularly steel cased ammo. Some of my rifles digested steel cased ammo just fine. Others vomited on it.

I saw ONE charging handle break at the forward end.

One match shooter blew a rapid fire stage because he installed a primer upside down.

One shooter left his Bolt Carrier Group at home. Another time, the same shooter brought the wrong ammo. Incidentally, he is a "High Master" shooter.

That's it!

When I hear someone trash a particular brand because of an internal part problem, I gotta laugh. The parts are cheap and it's no problem to replace them. Rather than to trash the brand of rifle, perform a little maintenance and fix it! Your rifle is a machine and like any other machine, it needs periodic maintenance. A problem like that does NOT qualify for an Internet bitch blitz.

In this thread, some of the "Trash" brands actually machine and supply upper and lower housings to many of the major brands on the market! Do a little research and find out where those housings really originated.

Summed up.........I have not seen ONE AR-15 rifle of any brand in actual highly stressed (and rapid fire) service that I considered "JUNK!"

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom