• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I found the article to be interesting. I also followed the links provided that disprove what some open carry advocates say rarely happens. Read it if you wish and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/friends-dont-let-friends-open-carry

Interesting, but highly opinionated. I do OC on occasion, mostly hunting or on my way to and from. I ALWAYS CC, no matter what. Most of the time, the serious pistol is the one that can't be seen. OC & CC are not mutually exclusive the way they are depicted. I find the "argument" totally irrelevant. And, historically, everyone OC'd; any CC was seen as suspicious. That's how CC was so easily outlawed, resulting in NO carry for Texans. leVieux

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Some mammaries are not concealed carried so effectively. Consider a thin shirt and a cold environmental temperature and the word “printing” will take on a whole new meaning.

Wildcat Diva,

In my lady's case, she IS distracting in a teeshirt & even to me. = One of her GF asked her where she was CC & she said "in a suspension rig". Penny said, "Well, NOBODY will ever see that little gun 'in the shade', for SURE."
    (I hearing that comment, LOL.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That person had, or was preparing to, mow a substantial lawn that may be riddled with rats or snakes! I know this because I also carry a .22 revolver with shotshells or lead bullets when I mow my rocks, I mean grass. :green:

ETA: None of my neighbors or people driving by, have ever raised a complaint.

Charlie,

NOBODY in our family goes ANYWHERE on our family farm W/O a firearm. Way TOO MANY rattle-tails, stump-tail mocassins & MEAN-tempered feral hogs.
    (I once killed 17 stump-tails in just one afternoon, while bank-fishing.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Well, if I stumbled across something like that, I might have to change my viewpoint! :banana: :banana:

Charlie,

COME to FIESTA 2019 & I promise that you'll see things that make that cowgirl look like a BOY. = FIESTA every year is the natural home of "the most stunning, undressed & well-endowed women".
    (My Darla's comment on one "fiesta outfit" worn by a @20YO lovely was in 2018, "She would look less undressed in nothing at all, rather than that fishnet UTSA practice jersey." = As is usual, my Darla was 100% correct.)

yours, satx

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Might consider packing openly for those working the midnight shift at the 7-11 in the democrat part of town...but for most purposes I am a big advocate of keeping them hid. Being a show dog aint nice.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Might consider packing openly for those working the midnight shift at the 7-11 in the democrat part of town...but for most purposes I am a big advocate of keeping them hid. Being a show dog aint nice.

bigwheel,

IF I was nuts enough to do that job, I'd want nothing less than an Ithaca Model 37 with an 8-shot mag full of #4 buck AND my Sig-Sauer P225 loaded with 9 JHP.
    (A school chum of mine up in NETX has run my hometown's Pic-N-Pay grocery for over 3 decades & he's been stuck-up NUMEROUS times & has been in more shooting incidents than most career police officers ever have. - The last time that I talked to Mick, the score was Mick 14-AHs 0.)

Mick wears a concealed BHP & has a folding-stock USGI M1 Carbine, loaded with 30 rounds of JHP, under the counter.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Interesting, but highly opinionated. I do OC on occasion, mostly hunting or on my way to and from. I ALWAYS CC, no matter what. Most of the time, the serious pistol is the one that can't be seen. OC & CC are not mutually exclusive the way they are depicted. I find the "argument" totally irrelevant. And, historically, everyone OC'd; any CC was seen as suspicious. That's how CC was so easily outlawed, resulting in NO carry for Texans. leVieux

You really need to read the history of gun laws in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You really need to read the history of gun laws in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Jon,

I know all about Texas gun laws, their history, and their evolution.

Remember I am a retired University of Texas Professor.

Texas laws are a long tortured history of the unintended consequences of do-good'ers in office and of the universal law of unintended consequences.

Even though I retired to next door Louisiana, which financed and supplied the then new 1936-37 Republic of Texas, and which never had any anti-OC laws, I rarely OC, as stated in prior posts on this thread.

Besides weren't we discussing the advisability of the two styles, not the laws?

leVieux

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As I've said before, there are quite a few "open carriers" here in Kerrville and I've never heard of any issues.

Same here. Texas is coming upon its third anniversary of open carry and there has been not one instance that I know of someone having an issue because of it. Granted, I have not seen as many people doing so over the past three years as I would have expected; but I have been OC'ing regularly during that time frame and other than a few comments (none alarming) and a couple of questions from those who were curious as to doing likewise, not many seem to notice. I have seen a few people who almost seemed surprised at the sight of my handgun, but no negative reactions. Honestly, given how I look, I believe many presume I am law enforcement. I am not sure that many people realize that open carry is legal in Texas. It just isn't that big of an issue to most.

And, unlike the beliefs of some on here, no one has been "targeted" for OC'ing. No one has been attacked for carrying not has anyone had their weapon taken from and used against them or anyone else.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if any crimes may have been adverted by the presence of an armed citizen; I honestly don't believe it is that much of a deterrent but I do see how it may dissuade a criminal from committing an act.

All in all, open carry has been a successful endeavor in Texas. I don't want to call it a "social experiment" in that many states allowed it before us (which is a bit embarrassing), but much like conceal carry I never believed there would be any issues. I am a tad disappointed that its practice isn't as common as I had hoped it would be, but I am glad that overall it's been a non-issue, especially with law enforcement agencies. Those departments did their homework and happily didn't overreact in any instances that I am aware of. I am sure there were a few calls at first concerning the sight of civilians wearing sidearms, but I don't know of any encounters where the police were involved or if so, the situation was handled badly. We should all be grateful that this restored right has been such an easy transition...

Top Bottom