• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Made it out to Astro's outdoor shooting range yesterday for the first time. I was actually wanting to go to the Mars (formerly Stan's) range, but suddenly, they are closed on Tuesdays.

Shot my Mini 14 and 10/22 on the rifle range. They only have 50 and 100 yard targets from the bench. So I sighted both in at 50. Was the first time I really had a chance to put the Accu-strut to the test. I'm going to call the Accu-strut a winner. No more stringing shots with my 185 series Mini 14. I put all 40 rounds in the 4" bulls eye with a couple dead center. Pretty good for an old man and iron peep sights.

Then I moved over to the pistol range. Man, what is that? The benches are all at 7 yards! I like to shoot at 10 and 15 yards, so I stepped it off as best I could. That was fine while I was the only one shooting, but after a half hour, a couple of families showed up, so back to the bench. Wondered what all the kids were doing there, then I remembered it was Spring Break.

Overall, it's a fairly decent place to shoot. $12 per person for all day. The only complaint I have is those "blinder" safety barriers that they have installed so you don't shoot over the berms. The ones on the benches at the rifle bays are so low that you can't use a bag for a rest. You have to shoot resting the rifle on the bench. Oh, yeah, the 7 yard pistol range.

The Mars range is 3 miles closer to the house, so I will probably be going back there next time. I like it. It's rustic, lol.
    Guns International

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Astro isn't bad. I have only shot there once and never at Mars (Stans). That one just seems too close to the road for me.

How do the prices compare? Pretty hard to beat $12 a day at Astro.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    I think that Astro's has other pistol ranges on site of longer distances. I was there for my first visit a couple of weeks ago, and the lady asked which length range we wanted to shoot. IDK for sure, as we stayed on the 7yd that day. May be worth asking about it next time.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I will ask next time. I think I remember seeing Pistol Ranges (Special) A thru J or something like that. Maybe those are the 10, 15 and 25 yard ranges.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Where did you find this "accu-strut" animal? Their website is pretty lame. Redirects to e-bay and such.

I have and older 183 series Mini-14. Never did any accuracy testing with it, since it always hit what I aimed at out to 250 yards. Lucky? Probably.

I know early Mini's are not regarded for inherent accuracy.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mike, who I believe is the GM at the range, is the absolute nicest and most easy-going person I have ever met at a range. One time I was scheduled to hold a class there. There turned out to be a huge mix up in scheduling (because of the owner), which was pretty serious, yet he didn't bat an eye and fixed the problem on the spot so the class could go on. I was extremely impressed with that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom