• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK, I have always heard that it is futile to try and get Bexar County Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz to sign off on an ATF Form 1. My question is, who has tried? I was thinking about contacting him and asking his rationale in refusing to do so, but first I want to make sure that this "urban legend" is indeed true.

I have the itch to turn my Draco into a SBR by adding an underfolding stock (thanks to the latest example of one done by Dreadnaught Industries!) but more along the lines of the original AIMR with an underfolder instead of a side-folding stock.

I know I can drop $350 to have a trust established, but honestly I won't be building that many NFA Class II weapons (this may be the only one) therefore it isn't the best investment going that route.

And my greatest fear is that if I did establish a trust, I'd be tempted to build several Class II firearms!

This is an election year in Bexar County, so maybe with a little luck we'll have a new sheriff that will be more respectful of the Second Amendment. But before I cast a ballot, I want to ensure that the rumors I have heard are indeed correct!

Cheers! M2
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I had actually contemplated emailing him or even trying PM'ing him via his Facebook page, but I suspect I wouldn't stand much of a chance either way.

I missed my opportunity at the FBI G-Man Golf Shootout I participated in last August, he was sitting nearby at the BBQ afterward and had I not been so sweaty/smelly I might have gone up to ask him. But after a full (and hot) day of swinging the clubs, I wasn't exactly what you could call "respectable"...

Still, I am still waiting to hear who has actually tried and failed in getting a Form 1 approved by Ortiz!

Cheers! M2

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Someone locally told me that a Constable could possibly sign the ATF forms as he is the CLEO of an area. I have aboslutely NO idea if this is true or false, or just wishful thinking. I personally know of no Constables that have done that. Just throwin' that out there.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I don't think it will be an issue for a signature from the Sheriff. Coworker of mine LITERALLY walked in there with his paperwork and he signed off. No issues or hoops to jump through. He just did it this past week.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    "Build" a non-restricted NFA item (short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, silencer, AOW).

Alex

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Alex, surely you've done some SBR work for someone in Bexar County. I'm also guessing you live in BxCo? Do you know anything about any Form 1s signed here?

He's not in Bexar Co.

Secondly, those living in San Antonio city limits can route their Form 1s through the Chief of the SAPD. It's those of us outside San Antonio who are impacted by this...

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Now that you bring that up, I would think Chief McManus would avoid signing these as well. Does he sign? BTW, I'm outside San Antonio as well, though I work downtown. But many of my shooting buddies live in the city and county; that's why I'm interested.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have never heard of McManus not signing Form 1s, but since I have never heard of anyone complaining about it I can only assume that he does.

And unfortunately it only matters where you live. I actually would probably have an easier time working through the SAPD than I would BCSO, but based on my address I have to go through the latter. Well, at least for now...

Cheers! M2

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have never heard of McManus not signing Form 1s, but since I have never heard of anyone complaining about it I can only assume that he does.

And unfortunately it only matters where you live. I actually would probably have an easier time working through the SAPD than I would BCSO, but based on my address I have to go through the latter. Well, at least for now...

Cheers! M2
    You could move south, problem solved.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx

Cheers! M2

Try walking it in to BCSO, my coworker did and was signed without a blink. It's also Election season, lol.....

Top Bottom