Target Sports

ATF Law or Requirement for Ammo possession for Winter Texans/Canadians?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SgtRock44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi, we are down here for 3 months as Winter Texans, Lucky Canucks as we feel very grateful to be here in Texas!
    I have an approved ATF Form 6 NIA certificate to participate @ one of Corpus Christi’s Gun clubs for Trap Shoots.
    My question is, how much 12G Ammo can I legally possess in Texas as a CDN with said Form 6? What are the Laws for this? I called ATF CC office Fri 2pm & no answer. Thanks, SgtRock44

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Hi, we are down here for 3 months as Winter Texans, Lucky Canucks as we feel very grateful to be here in Texas!
    I have an approved ATF Form 6 NIA certificate to participate @ one of Corpus Christi’s Gun clubs for Trap Shoots.
    My question is, how much 12G Ammo can I legally possess in Texas as a CDN with said Form 6? What are the Laws for this? I called ATF CC office Fri 2pm & no answer. Thanks, SgtRock44
    It's probably a good thing the ATF didn't answer cause whatever they'd have told you wouldn't be right cause their heads are so far up their butt they cant see daylight. My off the wall guess would be that if you're in the country legally you'd have the same options as the rest of us, and I dont know what those are either when it comes to quantities of 12G Ammo, whatever that is.

Please stand by for an answer from someone who knows what they're talking about, as most here do, especially craigntx. I was just in the mood to be a smart alec and say howdy to ya. Hope you enjoy your winter stay and that the weather holds out for you. :)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Per this, if you have an approved Form 6 NIA you should be good to go! Just don't try to take it back to Canada!

It's contrary to US law for an alien admitted on a non-immigrant visa to be in possession of ammo without documentation (such as ATF Form 6 NIA which competition target shooters may have). [18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5) and (n); 27 CFR 478.32] NOTE: This violation carries a prison term of up to 10 years and a $250,000 fine. (Source)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Per this, if you have an approved Form 6 NIA you should be good to go! Just don't try to take it back to Canada!

"an alien admitted on a non-immigrant visa"

Do you happen to know if that would apply to a Canadian who entered as just a visitor? Last I knew a Visa wasn't required to travel between US & CA - but that was back in 2012.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

SgtRock44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's probably a good thing the ATF didn't answer cause whatever they'd have told you wouldn't be right cause their heads are so far up their butt they cant see daylight. My off the wall guess would be that if you're in the country legally you'd have the same options as the rest of us, and I dont know what those are either when it comes to quantities of 12G Ammo, whatever that is.

Please stand by for an answer from someone who knows what they're talking about, as most here do, especially craigntx. I was just in the mood to be a smart alec and say howdy to ya. Hope you enjoy your winter stay and that the weather holds out for you. :)
    Thank You, I’m legally here as a CDN guest & have my Rem 870 for trap covered with Form 6 nia

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "an alien admitted on a non-immigrant visa"

Do you happen to know if that would apply to a Canadian who entered as just a visitor? Last I knew a Visa wasn't required to travel between US & CA - but that was back in 2012.

Not a lawyer, but if your intent is to just visit and not permanently stay in the US, I would expect you would be "an alien admitted on a non-immigrant visa" even though a visa is no longer required unless you meet certain circumstances outlined here...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I appears you've done your research, and everything I've found supports you should be good-to-go...

Generally speaking, it is unlawful for non-U.S. residents to possess or obtain firearms or ammunition while in the U.S. The most common exception to this is when entering the country to hunt or for a shooting competition.

If your concern is purchasing ammo while here, you do not need to be a citizen to purchase ammunition but you do need to be someone who is not a prohibited person. All you'll need is photo ID showing you are 18 or 21 years old (if you are purchasing ammunition intended for a handgun).

(To note, not all states are as friendly as Texas in this regard; but as you are here for the shooting competition, I wasn't going to bother about those repressive, non-Constitutional abiding places!)

And to add, I know a RCAF officer stationed here in San Antonio that bought ammo all the time (even a pistol!).

What you cannot do is buy ammunition here and take it back into Canada. That constitutes exporting ammunition and you require a permit/license to do that.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Welcome to Texas. Not sure why you brought winter with you. 30F next week during daytime and teens at night. WTH? :)
    Why do you need a form to participate in a match? Texas does not require any forms to sign up for and participate in a match. Who told you that you need one? There is no law prohibiting specific people from participating in competitions or visiting gun ranges. (except for felons, of course)
    Also, there are no laws (federal or state), to my knowledge, that govern ammunition. Shooting sports are not prohibited or regulated in Texas. We are one of the last few decently free states.
    So enjoy your competition, have fun and don't forget to win! :)

SgtRock44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome to Texas. Not sure why you brought winter with you. 30F next week during daytime and teens at night. WTH? :)
    Why do you need a form to participate in a match? Texas does not require any forms to sign up for and participate in a match. Who told you that you need one? There is no law prohibiting specific people from participating in competitions or visiting gun ranges. (except for felons, of course)
    Also, there are no laws (federal or state), to my knowledge, that govern ammunition. Shooting sports are not prohibited or regulated in Texas. We are one of the last few decently free states.
    So enjoy your competition, have fun and don't forget to win! :)
    As a guest here in the USA, even as a friendly neighbor Canadian, I need an ATF Form 6 nia to transport a firearm across an International border. Thanks, SgtRock44

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You cannot legally import or export firearms or ammunition without permits.

Non-immigrant foreign nationals cannot possess firearms or ammo except certain circumstances. Hunting license and a match are two.

Feds certainly govern firearms and ammunition.

Shooting sports are regulated in Texas. We talk about this all the time - how many acres do you need etc...

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    As a guest here in the USA, even as a friendly neighbor Canadian, I need an ATF Form 6 nia to transport a firearm across an International border. Thanks, SgtRock44
    Agreed. However, your original post was worded in such a way that is sounded like you needed a permit to participate in the competition, which threw me off.
    Carrying firearms across borders is totally separate from participating in shooting sports.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    You cannot legally import or export firearms or ammunition without permits.

Non-immigrant foreign nationals cannot possess firearms or ammo except certain circumstances. Hunting license and a match are two.

Feds certainly govern firearms and ammunition.

Shooting sports are regulated in Texas. We talk about this all the time - how many acres do you need etc...
    Well yeah, import/export of firearms is different. That was not the point of my post.
    I was discussing the fact that you are not prohibited from participating in a shooting competition. No need to muddle it with acreage etc. When you go to a range and sign up for a match, there are not ATF agents there to check your "competition permit".

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well yeah, import/export of firearms is different. That was not the point of my post.
    I was discussing the fact that you are not prohibited from participating in a shooting competition. No need to muddle it with acreage etc. When you go to a range and sign up for a match, there are not ATF agents there to check your "competition permit".

Didnt muddle anything. those were all points you made.

The fact is a non-immigrant foreign national is prohibited from possessing guns/ammo and thus also participating in a shooting competition if they do not meet one of the exemptions. Whether police/ATF are there does not change this fact. Major matches do check before allowing registration.

Top Bottom