• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    texas
    After much effort we were finally able to reach sources at OMB about the multi-rifle-sale scheme by ATF. They CONFIRMED the comment period; 60 days from inception in the Federal register, meaning the comment period closes 2/15/2011.

I tried to mine for information but they are gag ordered until the decision on some information. Although it is not a guarantee to have overwhelming numbers of opposing comments, if the objections are substantial enough, as well as meaningful they are supposed to be addressed by the requesting agency. I'm not sure if the original notice indicated it would be followed up with a final ruling but it does appear that our showing has made a difference.

According to OMB, when they receive a request like this their normal processing time is 60 days, ATF requested expedited handling but they were denied ( because we owned them ).
    That doesn't mean this is decided in our favor, simply that we raised enough of a ruckus to stop them from moving quickly.

When the comment period closes, comments can still be accepted at agency discretion, so that means any anti-gun comments can be accepted at any time, and our side must comment within the dates specified. We researched some previous rule making actions and there isn't really a solid pattern.

One thing going in our favor, as we suspected the 20 pages worth of MAIG input represents exactly 2 public comments, not 1 for each of their "members". It's basically one person, one public comment. We knew this from previous administrative actions but wanted to make sure we understood what was going on.

So, the bottom line - it is supremely important that as many gun owners as possible comment on this proposal.
    Please do whatever you are able to get gun owners engaged in opposing this new ATF power.

http://www.lonestarcdl.org/

Top Bottom