• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Athlon Optics is a newcomer and was at Shot Show 2016.

Being a newcomer and with the prices they were listing i was certainly leary.

I grabbed the three FFP scopes that interested me all in mrad. Which are the following that im going to list.

Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP
    Athlon Argos BTR 1-4x24 FFP
    Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP

This is a new company but not new guys to the industry which happens often in our hobby at the professional/manufacturing levels.

Anyways, I compared it to Sightron SIII 6-24 FFP, Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP, SWFA fixed 10x, fixed 12x, 3-15 FFP and finally Primary Arms 4-14 FFP, as these were all i had on hand to check.

Glass clarity was better than all of the competitors scopes except the sightron. I think it was comparable to sightron at the same magnifications available.

Turrets were initially slightly mushy but not primary arms mushy. I tightened the turrets down a bit more and this pretty much resolved it. Very tacticle feedback and positive clicks.

Reticle is amazing and similar to the ebr2c on the vortex. Some of the other models which i will be getting are a much closer match. I wish they made it an option to get nicer reticle from their premium line in the budget line.

Tracking so far has been excellent.

Build quality i would say on par with the above mentioned scopes maybe inbetween swfa and vortex.

Also, there site is not exactly showing correct information and is updating often. Reason for most of it was because this is their initial production run after extensive prototype testing and including insight from atleast one SH(snipershide) member who publically shared his uncontested involvement.

For instance, their total adjustment value seemed short on some of their scopes compared to others but on the production scopes i recieved there is much more adjustment available. I asked about this and they were being conservative on initial value.

Also, i requested a sunshade and a budget spotting scope with a matching reticle. Apparently a few others did too so they will be introducing a spotter with that feature next year and rolling out sunshades in their next batch. As well as adding side markings for the turret so the user doesnt lose track or come off the gun.

I was able to look through another optic of theres the Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 FFP. The following picture is from this scope at 1477yds.

I cant believe how nice these are and so far being well recieved on snipershide and to everyone ive introduced to these scopes.

I wish i had tried them out a lot sooner as ive had them mentioned to be before within the past year and just blew them off as another junk scope especially since i had never heard about them and there were no reviews.

To be honest, shot show and snipershide reviews suddenly popping up was what made me take a chance. I love marshall at primary arms and his budget products but i think i found a new favorite.

ed0ae663f0e4f7d9b7d5e05b7e139f48.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The windage dots below the crosshairs don't seem to line up with anything. How are they calibrated? 1/5 mil?

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is that the scope on optics planet for $389?

Sent from my HAL 9000

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Looks like good glass and a lifetime warranty.

http://athlonoptics.com
    I like that they have lifetime warranty reminds me of my vortex warranty. The glass is freakin amazing. Someone told me they had a 30 day money back guarantee? I dont know i havent seen it but shoot them an email. Ive talked to kevin and jason over there and they pretty much are letting the users make the scope and open to suggestions and improvements. For you 22lr shooters that wanna put this on your rifle look how low that parallax goes its perfect for it. I myself mounted it on centerfire rifles in 308 and 6.5 creedmoor.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Looks like good glass and a lifetime warranty.

http://athlonoptics.com

Is that the scope on optics planet for $389?

Sent from my HAL 9000

What do you guys think? Yall gonna try it out? Im pretty excited about its features and function so far.

I honestly think its my new replacement recommendation against falcon menace, primary arms and swfa for budget shooters.

I havent tried their chronus premium line yet and im waiting for their midas to go ffp(this one i think is more a direct match against my vortex pst and swfa 3-15).

The one guy ive seen so far who got a chronus put it up against his s&b and was pretty surprised how nice it was.

KAZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks shooter, you post was an assist in my placing an order for an 8X34 MOA version. I'm looking forward to testing it on my 308s. Regards

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The 4-14 is on Amazon for $300. If the glass is as good as you say, then that's a good deal. I'd like to know how it compares to the Leupold VX-1 line since those seem to me be the best value in scopes right now.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I have a couple of the 1-4X24 scopes w/Lit Reticles...Nice glass.....Good value for the price range imho......

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I have a couple of the 1-4X24 scopes w/Lit Reticles...Nice glass.....Good value for the price range imho......

The 4-14 is on Amazon for $300. If the glass is as good as you say, then that's a good deal. I'd like to know how it compares to the Leupold VX-1 line since those seem to me be the best value in scopes right now.
    I owned the mark ar and the vxr models which i believe is similar.

Those were pretty clear been awhile since ive looked through them since i moved on to 30mm or bigger diameter tubes and those were 1". Tough for me give an answer on that.

but hopefully a dealer near you will begin carrying them so you can look through them and decide.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The Midas series glass compares to Sightron SIII glass,the Argos won't come close.
    I'm waiting on the Cronus 4.5-29x56 FFP that I ordered to come in. I've looked through the Cronus 1-6x,and was impressed with the optic quality. While not S&B or March quality,for the price these scopes will probably sell fast.

Top Bottom