DK Firearms

Austin Hiway Gun Show this Saturday and Sunday!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    From my experience it had nowhere to go but up. :(

Still not going to bother wasting my time and/or money. We've got SAXET in two weeks and Premier two weeks after that. If someone wants to go to a good gun show, those are the better options!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

As I've said elsewhere, it's a pity that the vendors/crowd from the old LIVE OAK show didn't migrate over to Austin HWY, inasmuch as there were frequently some bargains in OLDER guns/ammo/reloading stuff at that little/local show.
    (I've bought numerous Colt/S&W revolvers, military surplus Mausers, sets of reloading dies/molds CHEAP & other miscellaneous stuff there.= My TREASURE was a 1970s Colt's GM in .38 Super for 200.oo, from an individual who was selling-out his dad's estate. = I gave it to my nephew for his BD & he wouldn't take love nor money for it.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Still not going to bother wasting my time and/or money.

I’m a stealth isle prowler.

I have, almost 100% of the time, found a great deal at each A-Hwy show.
    Seems every show some guy walking with a gun they found in deceased grand-pappy’s closet in Terrell Hills.
    SSShhhh. Well kept secret.

In Aug. there was a guy with grandpas Colt Patterson No. 5.
    He knew it was worth probably $50,000.00.
    I was honored just to fondle it!!!!!

Can say the same of New Braunfels.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Allow me to retract the favorable things I said about the A-Hyw gun show.

Bought the 2 day $10 pass so I'll be back tomorrow.

The most-unfortunate gun show, today, was more of a flea market.

Standing on the upper level looking down on to the lower level today I noted that the entire four isles to the right had exactly five tables with firearms. About ONE gun containing table per isle.

There was a plethora of non-gun tables.
    Purses, baseball caps, TENS units, topical pain lotions, investment counselors, aromatherapy candles....etc.
    Just pathetic.

I've pre-paid $5/day for a $10 2 day ticket.
    I'll go back to schmooze with some of my buddies.

Unless the organizers can get some gun-sellers to buy tables at the gun show it'll die a pathetic death.

HKS

¡See ya' there mañana!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Yep, I had high hopes for this show after the Live Oak venue was torn down to make room for fast food joints and a Motel.

(I wonder how the ATM survived the demolition).

My first impression of the Austin Highway Gun show was more flea-market than gun show.

A vendor from Oklahoma said that would be his first and last show on A-Hwy.

On the other hand, a fellow in the parking lot saw me walk to my car. Just before I unlocked the door, he told me he had the same vehicle, and informed me of an important technical bulletin issued for the car.

When I called the dealer, they said "Yes, bring your car in and we will fix it for free."

That was six bucks well spent!

Be well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Better and better every month!

Buck

Doesn't sound like it!

Allow me to retract the favorable things I said about the A-Hyw gun show.

Bought the 2 day $10 pass so I'll be back tomorrow.

The most-unfortunate gun show, today, was more of a flea market.

Standing on the upper level looking down on to the lower level today I noted that the entire four isles to the right had exactly five tables with firearms. About ONE gun containing table per isle.

There was a plethora of non-gun tables.
    Purses, baseball caps, TENS units, topical pain lotions, investment counselors, aromatherapy candles....etc.
    Just pathetic.

I've pre-paid $5/day for a $10 2 day ticket.
    I'll go back to schmooze with some of my buddies.

Unless the organizers can get some gun-sellers to buy tables at the gun show it'll die a pathetic death.

HKS

¡See ya' there mañana!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

IF it was me, who was "running the show", I'd offer anyone who was disappointed with the show, their $$$ returned.

I suspect that the owners/managers of the show are new at this and are "learning by doing". - I expect "miss-steps" from "beginners". - Maybe in a couple of months, things will improve.

just my opinion, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    satx

This show has been going on long enough for those running it to know the "ins and outs," and if anything it wasn't that great to begin with and has gone downhill considerably since then.

Granted, the Premier show isn't what it once was either; but those folks were committed to staying in the San Antonio market and even lowered the entry fee after Bexar County increased the cost of parking. Plus, Premier has been more than gracious to the members of this forum for many years, which is why I still attend that show despite it being smaller than it originally was.

The truth of the matter is Austin Highway was trying to break into an already over-saturated market without offering anything unique. Even Buddy Howell of Eagle Outfitters was smart enough to reach out to a demographic that wasn't being tapped (Uvalde, Bulverde & Jourdanton, for example). His shows may be smaller, but that keeps his overall cost down so he should be doing better. With Premier and SAXET dominating the market, Austin Highway is simply following the same failed path as Texas Gun Shows and Liberty (both of which got smart and no longer have SA shows).

So, the forecast is not favorable for Austin Highway Gun Show, I've tried it twice and was disappointed both times (more so the second time around). I don't like to see any firearms-related business fail, but they aren't really a firearms-related business as they had a venue and were looking for ways to fill it. Maybe train or quilting shows would be a better idea; but unlike Premier who still manages to make a profit despite their smaller shows (being a state-wide promoter helps), I don't see how Austin Highway can offset their losses. To build a show, you need vendors; to get vendors, you need attendees; and to get attendees you need vendors. It's a vicious cycle and without one and/or the other, there's little hope.

Cheers! M2

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

Well, that's just a shame.

As I said, too bad that the local folks from the old Live Oak show didn't migrate over to the Austin Hwy show. - Bought LOTS of bargains from individuals (rather than commercial vendors) at the Live Oak show till it went "BOOM".

Truthfully, (Not being FROM this area/SA) I'm used to much better quality gun-shows than this area has. - All of the SA shows seem to be "less gun related" AND have a LOT more "commercial vendors" than what I got used to in MD/PA/VA/WV.
    (A person can attend a gun-show essentially every weekend & within a 90 minute drive, "up there".)

Even the Woodbridge, VA (Prince William County is less than 1/10th as large as Bexar County is.) gun-show at the American Legion is MUCH BETTER than the SA shows.
    (Also, the Legion Auxiliary serves a FULL breakfast & lunch. = Vendors & attendees stay longer IF they aren't hungry/thirsty & the food is GOOD & REASONABLY priced.)

On a slightly different subject, I'm disappointed than NONE of the regional shows here have GOOD FOOD at a REASONABLE price, "on-site".
    (The Prince George County (MD) & BWI Gun-shows are worth attending, just for the FOOD. = Especially the "fresh fish baskets" & CRABCAKES!!!)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I dunno, I travel quite a bit across the country and try to get to gun shows when doing so if I get the chance. I've been to several and to be honest, I haven't found them to be much better than what we have here.

But it's funny you mention eating as during one of the Premier shows they had a food truck in front of the Freeman Expo Center as there was another show in a different part of the venue. I mentioned to the good folks at Premier that they should consider inviting a few local food trucks to the show, I think it would go over well. However, being that the venue is owned by Bexar County, Lord only knows what stipulations and fees they would tack on for that to happen. In fact, I heard at a recent gun show some of the food vendors got cited for not having the proper permits. It may be just too problematic, but I still believe it's worth pursuing as I am a huge fan of food trucks and think it would make the show a much more pleasurable experience.

But, as for Austin Highway, I've been done with that show ever since the last time we went. I have them more than one chance to impress, and they failed both times. In fact, I ran into a buddy there who is a vendor at SAXET; he didn't have any tables but was scouting out the show to see if it was worth participating. When I asked him what his verdict was, he just shook his head...

By the way, I lived in Laurel and Glen Burnie for five years; but never went to any shows there. I guess I missed out. :(

Cheers! M2

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

Since you missed out on the Prince George County, BWI-area & the Baltimore Gun-shows, you DEFINITELY missed out on some GREAT fish & crab cakes.
    (The St Michael's "church ladies" make OUTSTANDING crab cakes & fish & chips. = Fund-raising project for their church.)

Also, the Ft Belvoir Antique Arms Show is GREAT if you like arms/ammo/accessories from the AWI, War of 1812, TWBTS, Spanish-America War, WWI & WWII.
    (I bought a LOT of S-A War things there, including my "as issued" & "near new" Model 1893 Mauser 7x57mm LONG-rifle, called "The Spanish Scorpion" by US troops with bayonet & all "the goodies" that the Spanish Army issued in 1898.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dang, I would have loved to have gone to that Belvoir show! I grew up at Ft Belvoir (my Father was with the Corps of Engineers), and had my tonsils removed at DeWitt Army Hospital (the old one) back in 1969.

I also went through the Defense Mapping School there in 1990, and later got married there in 1995. We had our reception in the Engineering Room at the Officers Club, the one that overlooks the Potomac!

I wish we had similarly-themed shows here!

Cheers! M2

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

ME, TOO. = A really GREAT show for those of us who collect war artifacts.
    (One of my "treasures" was found there is a WBTS-period "studio-photo" of LTC JOHN S. MOSBY & his Raiders of 43rd VA, PACSA)

Fyi, I also got my WWI "reissued" MILLS BELT (with M1917 holster & half-moon clip pouch, canteen & 1st aid pouch) at that show, which has the "owner's" name written on it. = I looked him up & he was a T-SGT in the 25th "TROPIC LIGHTENING" INF Division in WWII & later made The Supreme Sacrifice (DoW as a USAR "re-called" WWII vet) in Korea, near the Yalu River on 24NOV50.

Btw, one of "my addictions" is collecting memorabilia from The Boxer Rebellion. = Authentic artifacts of The Boxer Rebellion are SCARCE, difficult to find & $$$$$$$ when one does.
    (I wrote one of my 2 theses on the Relief of Peking by The International Combined Force.)

Addenda: The Belvoir Military Show is "locally famous" for KOREAN home-cooked food, as a retired MSG's wife "sets up & cooks" there.
    (Do you get the hint that I really like good food? = CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom