• ...and so much more!
  • TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Anyone keep up with Austin politics, Mayor's race in particular? So much BS flying it's hard to find out which of the 3 are the least left wing. Adler might be the least toxic, but there's a lot of chaff out there.

Thanks
    DK Firearms

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I do not know about Mayor, but city council has a wide open race with the new single member districts coming on line. I will throw my $.02 worth out there and say Dewayne Lofton. He is a reserve Deputy with the SO and a good guy. Common sense and good judgement. For anyone living in his district (East/Southeast) give him your vote please

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    A couple of the also-rans, Phelps and Stephens, actually have a history of voting in the GOP primary. But of the main contenders, yeah, if there is a poster child for a "lesser of evils" race, this is it. Adler probably has the best chance to not turn out to be a complete and total lunatic, but that's just because Cole and Martinez have already proven themselves such.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    If you're in District 10, Bill Worsham is worthy of your consideration.

I hope the move to single member districts brings at least a glimpse of sanity to things, but there are plenty of loons running in every district, so we'll see how it turns out.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    If you're in District 10, Bill Worsham is worthy of your consideration.

I hope the move to single member districts brings at least a glimpse of sanity to things, but there are plenty of loons running in every district, so we'll see how it turns out.

I am in 10 and don't recall the Worsham name. Running for council or mayor?

Also, IMO, the 10.1 council is stupid. I much preferred city wide council members. Now all the 10 council members will do is worry about their own little areas.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    This new system will set up little fifedoms, just like back in the mid-sixties when
    redistricting put travis county precint 4, I believe, in predominate Hispanic area.
    Richard Moya, got elected, and could have stayed in all his life! I dont think thats
    what was intended, but thats what happened. I knew Richard when he was just
    a plain old printer, like me. This single member district business, or whatever they
    call it, will end up being used for guys to get elected, and stay there FOREVER.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Travis County Commisioners precinct system was one of the most Illegally jerrymandered nightmares this side of Chicago. Pct 1 was Black because it went around Pflugerville. Pct 4 was Hispanic because it jumped the Colorado and picked up the heavily hispanic east side. Pct. 2 was by far the most populated, geographcally large (from East of P'ville to the Burnet County Line) and lilly white. They have partially corrected it by putting P'ville mostly in Pct. 1. The population numbers have been evened out (a bit), but the ripple down has not lightened the Pct. 1 delegation yet.

If it was done by natural barriers (IH 35 and the river) Pct 4 would still be Hispanic, but Pct. 1 would almost assuredly have been white a long time ago.

If they did it by population, all 4 would be white. The political machine in Travis County (Pretty solidly Dem) will not allow that to happen.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    No offense, but so glad I got out of Austin.

My last day as an Austin resident before I started a job in Coppell back in 2000 I was flipping through channels. On one of the public access stations the homeless were lobbying for "better living conditions".

I'd dealt with a lot of those guys, recognized quite a few faces in the crowd. They had legal representation with them as well. Most of those guys were either drunks, drug addicts, mental cases, or any combination of those three. Your average homeless person in Austin was not just "someone down on their luck".

Any of you law enforcement types in Travis Co. know if Joaquin Fox is still kicking around or did he finally die in a gutter? He was one crazy mofo.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Crazedjava, I beat ya to it! I left that liberal chitt-hole in 1970! I had saw the
    handwriting on the wall, and knew I wasnt gonna raise my two daughters up
    in that city! I was born and raised there, but it quit being my home a long, long
    time ago.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Crazedjava, I beat ya to it! I left that liberal chitt-hole in 1970! I had saw the
    handwriting on the wall, and knew I wasnt gonna raise my two daughters up
    in that city! I was born and raised there, but it quit being my home a long, long
    time ago.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I am in 10 and don't recall the Worsham name. Running for council or mayor?

Also, IMO, the 10.1 council is stupid. I much preferred city wide council members. Now all the 10 council members will do is worry about their own little areas.

Worsham is running for Council in District 10. He's one of a slate endorsed by the Austin Tea Party. They are having an event next Friday night that looks interesting. A Night with Austin's Future Leaders - The Austin Texas Tea Party (Austin, TX) - Meetup

Respectfully disagree that the 10.1 council is stupid. I believed as you do for many years but the Council has become so narrow, so incestuous and so completely under the control of the ultra hard left Democrats here that something had to be done. Every one of the current members lives within something like a 1.5 mile radius of city hall, except for Leffingwell who lives on Balcones Drive barely north of Tarrytown. These idiots have utterly no clue or interest in anything beyond the downtown/SoCo corridor and I applaud the good people of Austin for finally recognizing that and voting in the district structure.

Not saying it's going to get better, but it cannot possibly get worse and at least we now have a fighting chance that perhaps one member might get elected that has some semblance of a rational brain.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    ..........., but it cannot possibly get worse............
    LOL! Life has taught me that things can always get worse!

I have acutally found 3 of the current council members to be very helpful to our neighborhoods in NW Austin - Morrison, Tovo & Spielman. Believe it or not, Martinez actually was helpful to us a couple of times. But I am not saying I want any of them to be Mayor, and luckily all but Martinez are not running.

After I posted the Worsham comment I realized I had met him and that he was the engineer.

I have pretty well decided on Jason Meeker because of his no nonsense Zoning & Platting experience, his strong opposition to the Austin Oaks redevelopment along MoPac, and the fact that he lives in Great Hills and not Tarrytown. 10 is a very poorly drawn district, IMO. I also find it ironic that District 10 is also a scifi movie about space aliens living on earth. LOL!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom