0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    Saturday, November 13th starting at one o'clock
    Dietz Gun Shop & Range
    421 Range Rd
    New Braunfels, TX 78132
    (830) 885-4662

This is our first shooting event and I hope that it will be a success. The purpose of this event is to evaluate each person's skills and to help bring everyone to a baseline skill set. There are several people who will be available to help those that need it.
    The second purpose is to give everyone a chance to try out one or more of the "standard" rifle and pistol choices. There will be the following on the line:

• Galil in 5.56x45 (.223 Remington)
    • CAR-15 in 5.56x45
    • AK-47 in 7.62x39
    • Mossberg 100ATR in .308 Winchester
    • Marlin 336 in .30-30 Winchester
    • Savage 64 in .22 Long Rifle
    • Springfield Armory XD in .40 Smith & Wesson
    • Smith & Wesson 22A in .22 Long Rifle
    • Winchester 1200 in 12 gauge

What to bring. You will need eye and ear protection and the $10 range fee to shoot at Dietz. Bring your firearms and ammunition and a cleaning kit. You should also bring a small supply of ammunition for one of the other guns that you might want to try. In addition to those listed above there may be guns in 9mm, .45 ACP and possibly 7.62x54r on the range but I have no guarantees at this point.

What we will be doing. This event is specifically for learning the basics. We will be shooting from the bench on the rifle range and the 7 to 14 Yard lines on the pistol range. We will be working understanding the manual of arms (how your gun functions and how to manipulate the controls), shooting from the bench and trigger control. We will address failure drills as needed but a detailed study of these techniques is planned for a future range day. We will also work on setting sights and scopes as needed with a bore sight and firing for effect on the rifle range. Learning stance and breath control will be discussed as needed.

We will have a skeet thrower on the line as well. If you want to give it a try bring a shotgun and some skeet shells. We have a box of 90 clays but we will need more. They are available for $4.99 per case of 90 at Academy Sports & Outdoors in San Marcos right now, with a regular price of $6.99 after this weekend. If you would like to try our shotgun bring some 12 gauge skeet loads and some clays.

There has been a request for a gun cleaning clinic so after the event we will hold one in the covered area adjacent to the range.

What we will not be doing. Dietz does not allow rapid fire on either range so there will be no "tactical" training. We will be setting up events for that out at Best In The West in Liberty Hills, TX in the near future. We are going to concentrate on the very basics this time and build a base for improvement the next time.

This is going to be a great opportunity for everyone to get to know one another better, improve skills and have a little fun. I am looking forward to seeing everyone out there.
    Venture Surplus ad

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    oh boy, that's my range!

i might be able to make it. i take it this is an open invitation?

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    Yes, the blog is brand new, I just started it this week. This is a group event but as the group is still small, the group and I are pretty much the same thing.

My purpose for the blog is to discuss preparedness and what we are doing in a public forum, to build my list of contacts in the area and build up a mutual assistance group in the area between Austin and San Antonio. If you would like to join us for a little fun and learning please feel free to join us, and if you are a LEO as you net ID indicates I would like to have a contact in law enforcement to keep me, and us, up to date on on where the legal lines are and teach us how to deal with LO in a positive way.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    This is a group event but as the group is still small, the group and I are pretty much the same thing.
    So a one man group? Then your event will be you bringing your guns and giving lessons? just clarifying what will actually be transpiring.

I am all for taking lessons from qualified individuals who have expertise in the area of the training. There are many on here who can/do have the tactical skills to train others. Alas, I have plans on your meeting/shooting date, maybe in the future.

I will be happy to give you my opinion if you have any specific LE questions, as will many members on here. These guys aren't shy about their opinions of LE....

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    Actually, 15 people. the idea is to help each other improve. I hope to recruit some more folks with more real world experience to help out in the future.

If there are folks here who are trainers and would like to help out I am open to it and would like to hear from them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll be going, and I'd be glad to give pistol instruction, as that is my area of expertise. Also, if you'd like to do a malfunction drill class in the future, I'd be glad to instruct. I personally think people can't get enough pistol training, as it is the toughest firearm to master plus it is probably the most likely one a majority of us might ever have to use in most cases.

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    Sig, I was hoping you would say that. I think that malfunction drills should be a major part of the next range day. Before we can hope to move up the skill chain we need to get immediate action drills down. I am going to plan for us to be at Best Of The West on one of their tactical ranges next.

We should work carbine and rifle in addition to pistol manipulations next time.

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    I need to put together a roster of people who are coming so I can give Dietz a heads up on the number of people descending on their establishment. I am looking forward to shooting with you guys.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    :sign0101:

lol. wtf is up with your icon?

that is pretty messed up on a few levels.

not that im offended jsut curious

Top Bottom