• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    The laws here in Australia are so very different from over there what we can own is so very different lol no semi-auto no bigger than 10 shot magazine just to name a few

The POME's and their mentality, something both our countries still have to deal with.
    Historically we follow in lockstep, with we in the US having about a ten year offset.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Howdy. Hope it all works out for ya and you can be here for one of the Hicksville events. As has been stated, you'll be leaving with a smile the size of, well, Texas.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Seriously, if you want to play with guns, come out to one of our Hicksville meets. The last one we had, I would say 40-50 people showed up, with probably 4x that amount of firearms. Next one is in October.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was born and raised in a foreign country, too....Chicago, Illinois. I came to Texas to be free and to get away from Liberal oppression!

Welcome!

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Welcome to Texas! I have yet to make it to Oz but the wife lived there for four years before I met her. She says Texas reminds here a lot of Australia.

As for purchasing a gun here, I have a friend who was stationed here with the Canadian Air Force and he not only was able to purchase firearms, but got a CHL as well! Since you're only going to be here for 18 months, I am not sure if you'll be similarly eligible but if the ATF tells you you're not it might not be a bad idea to contact a lawyer well versed in Texas and Federal firearm laws to see if what they've told you is correct (unfortunately, sometimes it might not be!).

Regardless, if you do make it down to San Antonio during your stay let us know. I am sure several of us will be willing to set up a range day and bring out some weapons for you to shoot.

Cheers! M2

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Welcome to Texas! I have yet to make it to Oz but the wife lived there for four years before I met her. She says Texas reminds here a lot of Australia.

As for purchasing a gun here, I have a friend who was stationed here with the Canadian Air Force and he not only was able to purchase firearms, but got a CHL as well! Since you're only going to be here for 18 months, I am not sure if you'll be similarly eligible but if the ATF tells you you're not it might not be a bad idea to contact a lawyer well versed in Texas and Federal firearm laws to see if what they've told you is correct (unfortunately, sometimes it might not be!).

Regardless, if you do make it down to San Antonio during your stay let us know. I am sure several of us will be willing to set up a range day and bring out some weapons for you to shoot.

Cheers! M2
    He was under different rules that allowed him to. It's pretty clear for non immigrant aliens (which it would appear OP falls under)

https://www.atf.gov/content/may-non...d-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-alien-visa

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I must be getting senile, I didn't even think about Hicksville. That would be a good place to try new stuff.
    And of course he would be more than welcome.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I can't remember if it was 3 or 6 months I needed to wait, but as a nonimmigrant you can certainly purchase firearms.

The 4473 asks if you're non-resident which exception you fall under, one of those is having a hunting license. If you've not done hunters ed you can get a waiver for the first year $10 + $25 & it's done.

You can also get a chl, generally vendors who are a little unsure of the legalities of selling to a nonimmigrant are comforted by you having one (as one of the requirements for getting one is that you can legally own handguns)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Hunters ed is not a problem. You don't need it to get a hunting license. Only to hunt. Get a hunting license the day you get here and have an address. The you just need 90 days residency. As long as Autralian laws don't keep you from owning a firearm while abroad, problem solved.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...As long as Autralian laws don't keep you from owning a firearm while abroad, problem solved.
    Like he would tell them? If I go to, say, Germany and drive 100 MPH legally, am I going to immediately turn myself in to the DPS when I get home? I think not.

It's a sticky area of the law. The U.S., especially, wants to make every U.S. citizen subject to U.S. law no matter where they are in the world. However, last I heard, national sovereignty wasn't an entirely dead concept. He just needs to obey the laws here while he's here.

Of course, I have no idea what those laws are in his case. I will, however, volunteer to lend him anything I have if he shows up at the next Hicksville.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    Welcome! If you make it to the Austin/Marble Falls area, look me up, We'll throw something on the BBQ, have some beers, and do some shooting. I have a Savage 10TR, a couple SKS', and AR's. Fun. :)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Like he would tell them? If I go to, say, Germany and drive 100 MPH legally, am I going to immediately turn myself in to the DPS when I get home? I think not.

It's a sticky area of the law. The U.S., especially, wants to make every U.S. citizen subject to U.S. law no matter where they are in the world. However, last I heard, national sovereignty wasn't an entirely dead concept. He just needs to obey the laws here while he's here.

Of course, I have no idea what those laws are in his case. I will, however, volunteer to lend him anything I have if he shows up at the next Hicksville.
    Was always my thoughts too. why tell them what they don't need to know. If he makes it, he's welcome to shoot mine too. Just want him to know what the deal is before he acts. Don't know anything about Australian possesion laws while abroad, but it wouldn't hurt to check ahead of time.

pittyonu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2015

Sounds good mate thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pittyonu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2015
    Welcome! If you make it to the Austin/Marble Falls area, look me up, We'll throw something on the BBQ, have some beers, and do some shooting. I have a Savage 10TR, a couple SKS', and AR's. Fun. :)
    Thanks mate sounds good to me

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Top Bottom