• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    The wife isn't so sure she wants to try shooting my pump 12g.
    The range office suggested a pump 20g; she seems interested.

My question. How do the recoils compare between a pump 20g
    (e.g. Mossberg 500) and a semi-auto 12g (e.g. Mossberg 930)?

If the recoils are not much different, or if the auto 12g is less,
    that would be great as I could still only worry about buying 12g
    shells for the inventory instead of adding 20g.
    Guns International

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i cant tell the difference unless im a few hundred shells in. i think a limbsaver will help her more than the 12 to 20 change.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I doubt the auto 12 is going to be less. Kind of depends on which auto, though. And if you're talking bird/trap loads, there really isn't that much recoil you're talking about anyway, even in a 12...

Look into a Knoxx stock for her if you want her to shoot a 12 gauge and she's worried about recoil. Stuff works, cheaper than you'll spend to step up to an auto, and takes more recoil out.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Auto 20 ga. is delightful. Depends on what the gun is for. If it's a home defense gun, 20 ga. is plenty of defense unless you've got rooms 30 or 40 yds. long. I've yet to understand why so many people think they need a 12 ga. 3 1/2 magnum with slugs, etc. inside a house (flame retardant suit on).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Auto 20 ga. is delightful. Depends on what the gun is for. If it's a home defense gun, 20 ga. is plenty of defense unless you've got rooms 30 or 40 yds. long. I've yet to understand why so many people think they need a 12 ga. 3 1/2 magnum with slugs, etc. inside a house (flame retardant suit on).

I'm right there with you. The only reason I chose a 12 gauge is because ammo and accessory selection is a bit wider. But for home defense a 20 gauge with #4 buck in the mag, some slugs on the side and an IC choke is going to be plenty of gun. Too much for some people, if they need to move through the house.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    We took the 870 (12 ga. pump) and the 1100 (12 ga. auto) out for some fun about three weeks ago and I had forgotten just how much difference their is between the recoil of an auto compared to a pump.The 1100 was sweet. I also don't buy into the "racking the slide will scare 'em" crap. All the intruders will hear from me is the primer goin' off!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I also don't buy into the "racking the slide will scare 'em" crap. All the intruders will hear from me is the primer goin' off!

Home defense guns are kept ready to go. All I have to do is disengage the safety and pull the trigger.

The locked door is the only warning they'll get from me.

The 1100 is a sweet shooter. I had a chance to shoot one a couple of years ago, it probably helps that it was modified for 3 gun, but damn that thing was nice. We were doing an indoor tactical pistol shoot and incorporated the shotgun into the match with four 4x4 boards as poppers. I could knock 'em down as fast as I could pull the trigger with that gun. I want one.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard good things about the way the Knoxx works. Thinking seriously about putting one on my 12 ga. 870 to tame it some.

If you do, I would suggest the Comp Stock. I have a Spec Ops on my 870 if you want to try it out sometime. Both work the same way, but the cheek weld on the Spec Ops can be a little iffy unless you have higher sights like ghost ring or some kind of optics. One or the other is in my plans for this 870, so...

I will say I've put two 870s together with these stocks, and both of them I took to the range and ran about 30 rounds each of slug and buck through them. My shoulder didn't even feel stiff afterward.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    I've heard good things about the way the Knoxx works.

I'm hoping to find out how well it works very soon :)

20110119%20008.png

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    We took the 870 (12 ga. pump) and the 1100 (12 ga. auto) out for some fun about three weeks ago and I had forgotten just how much difference their is between the recoil of an auto compared to a pump.The 1100 was sweet. I also don't buy into the "racking the slide will scare 'em" crap. All the intruders will hear from me is the primer goin' off!

Me neither! If I pull it, Im shooting it!

Top Bottom