• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Got an email about why loud and affirmative body posture and voice can allow you to present a "hard" presence and avoid a conflict and that reminded me of something that happened to me in a Walmart parking lot.

I was walking out of the store, got to the rows of cars, was walking pretty close to the cars (mistake) on my right hand side. It's about 2 AM, pretty chilly outside, mediocre lighting, and as I'm passing two cars, I noticed a transient standing there with his eyes fixated on me. Without flinching, or stopping, I turn my head and say "Hey man! How's it going!?" in a loud and affirmative tone. The guy just stands there, looks bewildered, and I keep on walking, checking my 6 the whole time.

Who knows if the guy was just walking through, if he was looking for the pink elephant gnomes, or whatever his deal was, but I'd like to think that I broke his train of thought and took the tactical surprise from him.

Thinking back, I've learned a few things.

1) Being loud and obnoxious, and maybe a little bit crazy, works pretty well.
    2) I should always walk with my pistol side furthest from the cars in case of an ambush.
    3) Holy shit that was funny.
    Guns International

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehhe. i bought a ar-15 in a parking lot the other day. the guy left, and i was looking it over in the back of the car with the back hatch open.

a guy approached from the left. didnt look like a savory character to say the least.

he wqas looking at me and walking briskly.

put the (empty) mag in, and racked the charging handle loudly and looked back at him and said "i aint got any more money bud"

he said "god bless" and turned and headed back twoard the highway.

pretty hilarous. i liekyour story a bit better.

but yeah, i agree with intentional self image projection.

good to be able to go the other way with it as well. as there could be a situation where you would want to be less noticable.

that is way harder for me to do. im a pretty conspicuos guy if only because of size.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's called a "preemptive strike" and it has been historically found to be very effective...(except for the Japanese at Pearl Harbor! )

Good advice, it may mean the matter of success or failure in any given situation.

Cheers! M2

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Back in the 80's, I stopped at the Huntsville roadside park to take a leak. Walked in, three smirking UTNG's loitering at the sinks, lookin' me over. ( UTNG = up to no good ) I turned the corner stepped up the fixture an axed myself, "Self, why would three smirking UTNG's be loitering in a roadside park restroom at 2am???" Self speculated that they were probably there to accost me and take my valuables, vehicle, virginity ~ or all three.

Bein' a law abiding citizen, the only weapon I had on me was in my hand and it was pretty cold in that open air roadside park restroom, if you get my drift. Lookin' at the 8' wall I knew my fatass wasn't scalin' that, even if a pack of rabid dogs were after me.

So I finished my bidness, said a quick OMG help me prayer, an headed off into the unknown. Sure enough, there was three smirking UTNG's blocking my exit. I briskly walked up to the biggest one in center and stiffarmed him right in the chest, never slowing my pace. I boomed out, "GET THE F*** OUTTA MY WAY FAGGOT!" He fell back and to the side, his bud's were evidently shocked by me outing him like that. I didn't turn around to see if they followed me.

That was the longest walk I have ever took.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Next time you are in a public setting that is relatively crowded, try walking around with your mouth open and your tongue slightly protruding. You'd be amazed how people will steer clear of you.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    at mardi gras, whenever you want to make your way through the crowd, just holler "i'm gonna be sick" :)
    they part ways like moses parting the red sea lol

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I've used "crazy" to good effect for years.
    I firmly believe if you act crazier than the other guy, and get there way faster than he expects, they will usually bug out.
    My wife hates it, but admits that it has worked several times.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i was drunk and planning on kicking a particular guys ass one night. (had it coming... nad i was drunk enough to deliver) anyway he flicked a knife, and drew it down his left bicep.

blood was coming out.... and i said ... "i think i am gonna greab another beer..."

Moby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Midlothian
    The posture you're referring to is called "command presence"
    Thugs are humans too. They “read” a potential mark prior to engagement,
    Just as you would. An aggressive display may get an aggressive response.
    A confident, serious glare, while continuing to do whatever is was you were doing
    Usually sends the message of: I see you, and you want no part of me.
    What you don’t want to do is engage, unless you mean to do just that.
    Then do not do so half assed, a fight on the street can get you killed.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    +1 moby.

i think you are gonna fit in nicely here welcome aboard btw.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    LOL! yes! gonna do that next time some drunk guy picks a fight with me at work. i carry exztra clothes anyway, so i can jsut forcibly rip them off all hulk hogan style.

"DONT MESS WITH ME BRRRROOOTHHHERRRRRR"

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Got an email about why loud and affirmative body posture and voice can allow you to present a "hard" presence and avoid a conflict and that reminded me of something that happened to me in a Walmart parking lot.

I was walking out of the store, got to the rows of cars, was walking pretty close to the cars (mistake) on my right hand side. It's about 2 AM, pretty chilly outside, mediocre lighting, and as I'm passing two cars, I noticed a transient standing there with his eyes fixated on me. Without flinching, or stopping, I turn my head and say "Hey man! How's it going!?" in a loud and affirmative tone. The guy just stands there, looks bewildered, and I keep on walking, checking my 6 the whole time.

Who knows if the guy was just walking through, if he was looking for the pink elephant gnomes, or whatever his deal was, but I'd like to think that I broke his train of thought and took the tactical surprise from him.

Thinking back, I've learned a few things.

1) Being loud and obnoxious, and maybe a little bit crazy, works pretty well.
    2) I should always walk with my pistol side furthest from the cars in case of an ambush.
    3) Holy shit that was funny.

Gotta love it... and I would definitely agree with #3...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've used crazy before. Quiet crazy can work, too.

The one time I used it wasn't on purpose, though... I honestly did want to gut that little Sureno gang banger. But he saw me trying not to giggle (and failing) and moved on.

... damn it. I really, really wanted him to go for the pistol in his waistband.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've used crazy before. Quiet crazy can work, too.

The one time I used it wasn't on purpose, though... I honestly did want to gut that little Sureno gang banger. But he saw me trying not to giggle (and failing) and moved on.

... damn it. I really, really wanted him to go for the pistol in his waistband.

where is Paul Harvey when you need him?

Top Bottom